Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC Cruise follow distance - Too close going down hill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
We own two Model 3's a RWD LR and a P3D+ - Love both of the cars and have not had one single issue with either of them. There is one item that I wanted to ping the group related to the set "Cruise Follow Distance" and determine if others experience the same issue or not. Here is my scenario:
I have the Cruise Follow Distance set to 3, and in reading the manual that means that the car should stay 3 seconds behind the car in front. When setting this and driving on a flat or uphill road there is no issue with the follow distance, it is pretty "close" to being around 3 seconds and nothing that I worry about.
The issue that I am a bit concerned with is when you are going down hill. In my case I have a 2 mile long, 6% grade that I travel, and in my case when traveling downhill my car gets uncomfortably close to the car in front with about a 1 second distance, and traveling down hill with cars all around braking quickly this 1 second follow distance can get me a bit white knuckle when on TACC and especially on AP/NOA.
Here is a video of this grade, with my follow distance set to 3.

Does anyone else experience something similar, or am I the lucky one?

The follow distance of 3 is definitely not supposed to equate to a 3 second following distance. The follow distance is time based (the gap gets larger at higher speeds) but it’s not measured in seconds.

Yours seems to behave exactly like mine does. The follow distance at the beginning is what I would expect at 3 when traveling at highway speeds. It allows the gap to close in the middle of the clip as the traffic slows down and gets much closer when the traffic slows down further. If I was driving, i would likely have it set to 4 or 5 on that road (I use 7 most of the time), but that looks fine..

I had something similar in my old Ford Fusion's TACC (which I replaced with my P3D+) - However in the Ford when you set it to 3 seconds it kept the proper follow distance going flat, up or downhill. I guess that is not the same with the Model 3 - I like to figure out exactly how something is doing something, thus my reason to see if others are having the same experience.

Thanks for the information and I will try setting it to a much higher level (7) to see what changes when going downhill.