Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance Between Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just wondering if there's a way to increase the distance between our Tesla Y and the car in front when using Autopilot? I find it disconcerting that at 110km/h we seem to be following too closely. On our 2017 E Class Benz it was adjustable but I can't find a setting in our Model Y.

Hi, just wondering if there's a way to increase the distance between our Tesla Y and the car in front when using Autopilot? I find it disconcerting that at 110km/h we seem to be following too closely. On our 2017 E Class Benz it was adjustable but I can't find a setting in our Model Y.
Left and right on the right 'scroll' button for a range of values between 2 and 7 whose units are not defined. 2 being the closet and 7 furthest following distance. I use 7.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Reactions: Hairyman
Wow! Two is too far away, where I live (Maryland, US). Other drivers are constantly cutting in front whenever there's a car's length plus two inches, and it drove the FSD (and even the smart cruise control) crazy with panic-like reactions.
This is what happens in Adelaide - Unfortunately people learn the behaviour to tailgate because if you dont some DH will pull in front of you, often for no other reason than opportunity and then touch their brakes. Its often like that Frogger game... hahah

Unfortunately even 7 is still too close.
I agree. At 100kph, in good conditions, there should be a 3-second gap*, but a follow-distance of 7 gives only a 2 to 2.5 second gap. I have tried to get used to it, and "trust the car", but it just isn't safe (as demonstrated by my wife's continual application of the air-brakes in the passenger footwell). I end up jockeying the speed controls or going back to manual throttle control. At least if something goes wrong in manual mode, I am at the correct distance and lifting my foot instantly applies a braking force.

*Yes, some people say two seconds is the minimum. Even if that is true, it is the minimum in ideal conditions, and shouldn't be the Tesla's maximum following distance.

Reactions: jankratochvil
Wow! Two is too far away, where I live (Maryland, US). Other drivers are constantly cutting in front whenever there's a car's length plus two inches, and it drove the FSD (and even the smart cruise control) crazy with panic-like reactions.
Can’t speak for freeway speeds, but I agree in city driving (only in my several long test drives mind you) the min of “2” seems way too long.
Will have to wait and see when I get MYLR next month.

For city driving, "2" is further away than I used to get in my 2020 Subaru Forester on it's lowest setting.

Whilst I haven't timed it properly, a rough "head count" gave me about 2 seconds with the setting at "2" in city traffic.

For Sydney, that isn't close enough, provided you're pacing with traffic in the 50-60km range (or lower).

Human reaction time is around 1.5 seconds - one would assume the Tesla computer would be quicker than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: elddum
It's funny but our 6.5yr old E Class Benz had what I now realise was a great system. On 'auto pilot' you had 3 distances to choose from and they were perfectly suitable for comfortable, stress free driving. If you were driving yourself (manually) the LED screen showed the vehicle ahead on a digital road and indicated with a line indicating a safe following distance at any speed. If you were traveling too close to stop in an emergency braking situation the lines on the road went orange then red.

It's funny but our 6.5yr old E Class Benz had what I now realise was a great system. On 'auto pilot' you had 3 distances to choose from and they were perfectly suitable for comfortable, stress free driving. If you were driving yourself (manually) the LED screen showed the vehicle ahead on a digital road and indicated with a line indicating a safe following distance at any speed. If you were traveling too close to stop in an emergency braking situation the lines on the road went orange then red.
Their latest system is even better. It seems to do everything at the pace and distance that I would normally choose. The lane change and roundabout speeds are perfect. I have to adjust my expectations when jumping back into the tesla.

Reactions: Power Hungry