Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail light cracks, no impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the technician here now, and mine is not covered by warranty. So I'm out ~$650. He states that that it is likely a stress fracture and since they can not rule out impact then it is not a warranty issue.
I'm going to dispute it, any advice?

He states that that it is likely a stress fracture and since they can not rule out impact then it is not a warranty issue.

"they can not rule out impact". LOL

I think they have it backward. They do have evidence there was no impact. You told them so. If they have no evidence that you are lying, they should have to cover it.

What more evidence could they possibly ask for? A continuous 2 year long video from a camera pointed at the part that shows no impacts happened?

If they require evidence beyond the owners word that they did not sabotage their own car, they could deny 100% of all potential warranty claims by saying we can't rule out the possibility that you intentionally broke that part yourself.

Last edited:
"they can not rule out impact". LOL

I think they have it backward. They do have evidence there was no impact. You told them so. If they have no evidence that you are lying, they should have to cover it.

What more evidence could they possibly ask for? A continuous 2 year long video from a camera pointed at the part that shows no impacts happened?

If they require evidence beyond the owners word that they did not sabotage their own car, they could deny 100% of all potential warranty claims by saying we can't rule out the possibility that you intentionally broke that part yourself.

Agreed. I feel like I'm being asked to prove that I didn't back in to a unicorn, and when I say that I didn't, they say
"show us the uninjured unicorn then...."

I have the technician here now, and mine is not covered by warranty. So I'm out ~$650. He states that that it is likely a stress fracture and since they can not rule out impact then it is not a warranty issue.
What does the $650 cover?Both assemblies and inner/outter sections?

If you only need one side or just the outter assemblies, there are plenty on eBay, so e brand new, some taken off cars with less than 1-5K miles before crashes... each for $100-200 per side.

What does the $650 cover?Both assemblies and inner/outter sections?

If you only need one side or just the outter assemblies, there are plenty on eBay, so e brand new, some taken off cars with less than 1-5K miles before crashes... each for $100-200 per side.

Thanks. It was both on one side and the inner only on the other. I had it replaced and will try to get it covered under warranty. I've reached out to Tesla through multiple avenues and will see where it goes...

Reactions: Perscitus
I'm having the same issue on three of my rear lights on my Model 3. It is an early release Model 3. Mobile service is coming in a few days, but despite having no impact or collision, they will "have to investigate if it is covered by warranty." Several days before noticing large cracks I had washed my car and thought I saw small, < 1 cm hairline cracks that I thought that I must have just not noticed before and thought that they were part of the assembly, but 2 days later, they were substantially larger and obviously not normal.
When I contacted Tesla, they said that it would be highly unlikely to occur without an impact, but the only way that an impact occurred is if my neighbor snuck into my driveway without my security camera seeing him/her and beat up my car.
The other thing of note is that the only light without cracks is the one that was replaced for fogging 2 years ago.

Be sure to tell them than plenty of people have had this spontaneously happen.

So I did get it covered by warranty, and maybe by listing my steps will help out the next person.

When I initially posted the images on the repair app, and spoke with the Service Center, they said that they didn't see how this could be a warranty issue, despite my insistence that I did not beat up my own car. When the technician was out, as he had never seen it before, he felt that it was not a warranty issue. I expressed that a defect in material or workmanship that led to failure under normal use should be covered. He felt otherwise.

I reached out to the 1-877- 79 Tesla number, which directed me to self help videos, and the customer support website. The customer support website had a place for me to put in my e-mail and a complaint, but then directed me to self help videos, and I received no reply for 48 hours. I understand that 48 hours is not a long time to wait, but I expected at least some sort of email that said "we will get back to you as soon as we can." I posted on Twitter to Tesla as I've sometime gotten decent corporate response from other companies in the past with this method, Delta and Marriott have direct messaged me within minutes when I've used this method, but nothing for 48 hours with Tesla.

I looked up the warranty information from Tesla, and it said to write a letter and mail it to the Fremont address, and if that didn't resolve it to contact the National Center for Dispute Settlement, and I went as far as writing the letter.

My wife suggested calling the Service Center, which I thought was foolish, as I'd already been told in my initial phone call it was likely not covered, and that it was not covered by the technician, but called as I was at least hopeful that I could be referred upwards to someone at the warranty department. My wife did the talking, as I was already frustrated and did not want to flip my lid at some unsuspecting person who is just trying to do their job. The person at the service center (Renton, WA) said that they had worked elsewhere in Tesla and had indeed seen this before, and felt that it might be a warranty issue. They asked if they could do research and call back later today, to which we said sure. They called back about 15 minutes later, apologized for the inconvenience, refunded my $650 and said that they will get the repair manual updated so that this will be covered as a warranty issue for others.

I suspect that the issue occurred due to temperature variations. When I first noticed it while washing the car in the evening, while it was in the shade, we were having hot and sunny weather with days in the 90's with drops to the high 40's at night. I suspect that if there was, as postulated in this thread, unevenly distributed plastic in the housing, that my have med to failure.

The other notable aspect is that the only light that did not fail had been replaced for fogging in November of 2019, so possibly there is a defect in the plastic housing of the early release lights.

Thanks all for your help with this.

To add my $0.02, OP's experience happened to my model Y as well (VIN# 29xxx). First affected a single taillight (Passenger side/Trunk). Mobile ranger came out and fixed it for free. While it was being fixed, the ranger noticed some condensation and saw it was happening on the driver's side trunk light as well, however didn't have the replacement part to do the repair as it wasn't originally requested. When I arrived home later that day, I noticed cracks on the driver side outer tail light as well. Fast forward a week later and now the passenger side outer tail light now shows cracks. Service has been requested to replace the remaining 3. Perhaps a bad batch from the factory? Hopefully they're able to replace mine with the amber turn signals?

1st light.jpg
2nd light.jpg
3rd light.jpg
4th light.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The refreshed tailights most likely need reprogramming that SCs and MS will probably not even know how to handle since they are VIN range specific parts, not ment for OE retrofits.

Not a simple PnP, but as these start to flood the market (with late 2020, 2021+ salvage part strips, etc), people will likely figure something out, spaghetti wiring or not.

If you want to get amber turns, just source
some old gen EDM spec taillights and wire them up the way someone else did here a while back.

I noticed cracks on mine a month or so ago. Finally got around to sending in the service request via the app. I included pictures. The message they sent back was that it looked like impact damage (and essentially, could I prove otherwise).

**Also, note, I didn't respond to their in app messages for a couple days and they bumped my appointment a week!

I sent additional pictures (I really don't see the difference between the old and new pics). I think they are told to say it is impact on the first contact no matter what. After the second set of pics, they said the tech would evaluate. When they confirmed the appointment, they wanted me to acknowledge the $160 estimate. I replied how could I accept a fee when it was warranty work! I was worried that my response would send me back to the start of the scheduling system since I hadn't approved the work. Anyway, last night I got a text from the mobile tech - he was asking if he could come a bit early and I said no problem.

When the tech arrived, it took him all of two seconds to say, 'yes, of course this is warranty work. there is no impact damage.'

So, now, after about 15 mins of work from the tech, I have new, uncracked tail lights.

pretty much same experience. when i submitted a repair request they asked for more photos which i sent. they scheduled the appointment, attached an estimate and said as long as the tech finds no impact it would be covered. tech came onsite, verified no impact and replaced the lights. cool

I noticed cracks on mine a month or so ago. Finally got around to sending in the service request via the app. I included pictures. The message they sent back was that it looked like impact damage (and essentially, could I prove otherwise).

**Also, note, I didn't respond to their in app messages for a couple days and they bumped my appointment a week!

I sent additional pictures (I really don't see the difference between the old and new pics). I think they are told to say it is impact on the first contact no matter what. After the second set of pics, they said the tech would evaluate. When they confirmed the appointment, they wanted me to acknowledge the $160 estimate. I replied how could I accept a fee when it was warranty work! I was worried that my response would send me back to the start of the scheduling system since I hadn't approved the work. Anyway, last night I got a text from the mobile tech - he was asking if he could come a bit early and I said no problem.

When the tech arrived, it took him all of two seconds to say, 'yes, of course this is warranty work. there is no impact damage.'

So, now, after about 15 mins of work from the tech, I have new, uncracked tail lights.

It's like Tesla is allergic to providing upfront good service.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I went to install the hansshow power trunk (nightmare btw) and before I started , I noticed all my rear lights were cracked. There are no impact marks, I can only suspect bad plastic. My car is a 2020, but delivered during the December push, so perhaps they rushed the quality. I have a Tesla mobile service scheduled and they quotes $450 if there are signed of impact (which there isn't) . Has anyone seen this ?View attachment 568680 View attachment 568681 View attachment 568682 View attachment 568684 View attachment 568680 View attachment 568681
Just got my model y 3 weeks ago and has the same damage I saw it while cleaning and reached out to TESLA if they can replace it..... no word yet

Attachments

• A03F01A5-F839-4D86-947E-CD833059B343.jpeg
    A03F01A5-F839-4D86-947E-CD833059B343.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 90
Tesla just finished replacing my tail lights.

The estimate listed the non-warranty price, but they included a note stating that if tech saw no evidence of "outside influence", it would be covered under warranty, and I would have an opportunity to decline the repair if the tech determined that it is not going to be covered under warranty.

Mobile service Tech said he had no reason to doubt my assertion that I did not hit anything and that it would be covered under warranty.

The tech was a bit frustrated that he could not get my TeslaOffer trunk to stop halfway (he wasn't willing to hold it with as much force as is required to make it stop) but did not try to blame the cracked tail lights on the mod.