Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take delivery in Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if it's possible to order a car, and plan to take delivery in Fremont?
If so, would that expedite things vs. east coast delivery?
If so, would it remove the delivery charge from the total?

The last question is least important because I'd like to plan a cross country trip with my son and this would be a great way to do it one-way IN A TESLA!

Thanks.

Yes, but you'd have to pay California sales tax. Your state may or may not allow a sales tax credit allowance when you register the car there.

I'd think you'd also have to be able to have the car titled, insured and registered with plates before you take delivery (bring the new plates with you), how else would you be able to drive it across country? I don't know if CA temp tags would be sufficient for a cross-country drive.

I think it's possible, just takes some planning and research to make sure you have everything covered.

For instance, if you take delivery in Las Vegas, you don't pay CA sales tax, but then you have to pay a delivery fee (not sure if it's $0 or $2k or somewhere in between). Perhaps NC can issue you temp-tags for transport?

I have bought two cars out of state. In both cases dealer put on temp tags. I could not register in my state until they received information from dealer.

Yup all true. The only problem is if you take delivery in California, you pay all California taxes. You may or may not get credit for that from your home state. Depends on arrangements between your home state and CA. I bought a new Motorhome in California some years ago. The manufacturer only offered California factory delivery, or delivery in Nevada or Arizona, with no sales tax. I had to pay a DOT driver to officially "transport" the vehicle to Nevada, for $400. He drove, I rode right seat. I drove the rest of the way home (Indiana) with no plate. Indiana requires a State Police inspection (basically a records search) prior to registering a vehicle purchased out of State, so no advanced plate was possible. California sales tax has increased since then, but it was a no brainer for me.