Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take the Tesla? New Years trip from Fresno to Rancho Cucamonga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Have a trip coming up over New Years from Fresno to Rancho Cucamonga area. Not so worried about heading down on the 29th but will be returning on New Year’s Day, will need to stop at least once on the way home. Debating whether or not to take the Tesla.

Have a trip coming up over New Years from Fresno to Rancho Cucamonga area. Not so worried about heading down on the 29th but will be returning on New Year’s Day, will need to stop at least once on the way home. Debating whether or not to take the Tesla.

I mean...my feeling is, always take the Tesla. Maybe you wait a bit to charge compared to on a normal day, but you get to do the drive in a Tesla.

Take the Telsa! I've taken many long road trips and my only constraint is the additional time needed to charge, but AP and Slacker music favorites make it a no brainer for me. There is also a supercharger station at Victoria Garden mall in Rancho, so you can top off before you it the road.

Reactions: nwdiver
Thanks all. Wouldn’t have started a thread for this by myself, I was more speculating about charger congestion on New Year’s Day, specifically at Kettleman City or Tejon Ranch. That seemed like relavent conversation within the Kettleman supercharger thread, but I’ve been overruled and that’s fine. ;)

We’ll take the Tesla. :)

You have choices to charge on the way home from Rancho Cucamonga. I would just display the occupancy information on the touchscreen and monitor it as you head north.

I do not know your battery size, but with our 2014 S85, Tejon Ranch to Fresno is easy. Rancho Cucamonga to Tejon Ranch is easy. I have done this many times. You could also hit Santa Clarita instead and make it home in a M3 LR or quite possibly a Model S100 if you are a little careful heading up the Grapevine.

Taking Interstate 5 and utilizing either Buttonwillow or Bakersfield - West is out of your way a bit. But they would come in handy if there is major congestion at Tejon Ranch. With 24 stalls available at Tejon Ranch, I would think that turnover would be fairly rapid.

Just keep the occupancy information visible on the touchscreen!

You have choices to charge on the way home from Rancho Cucamonga. I would just display the occupancy information on the touchscreen and monitor it as you head north.

I do not know your battery size, but with our 2014 S85, Tejon Ranch to Fresno is easy. Rancho Cucamonga to Tejon Ranch is easy. I have done this many times. You could also hit Santa Clarita instead and make it home in a M3 LR or quite possibly a Model S100 if you are a little careful heading up the Grapevine.

Taking Interstate 5 and utilizing either Buttonwillow or Bakersfield - West is out of your way a bit. But they would come in handy if there is major congestion at Tejon Ranch. With 24 stalls available at Tejon Ranch, I would think that turnover would be fairly rapid.

Just keep the occupancy information visible on the touchscreen!

Thanks. I have a RWD Model S 75. Tejon is our normal stop on the way down as it’s a straight shot and no problem to reach.

On the way back it’s a little more complicated as we actually live up in the Oakhurst area, so I need to charge to 100% at Tejon to coast in on fumes. Been experimenting with taking I-5 to 41 on the way back and charging at Kettleman, which generally ends up being a wash or slightly faster in terms of travel time as I don’t have to wait for a 100% charge at Tejon. But you’re right, lots of options now with Santa Clarita, Bakersfield, Buttonwillow, and Kettleman. Can always top off in Fresno if absolutely necessary, but I prefer not to detour all the way out to Herndon/99 if I don’t have to.

Looking forward to the materialization of the promised Visalia supercharger.

Reactions: cpa
Looking forward to the materialization of the promised Visalia supercharger.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that location. I think Bakersfield near the junction of 58/99 will be completed this year. (Just my opinion.) But 99 really has not received much consideration from Tesla other than Fresno (Manteca kinda sorta.)

Maybe Visalia in 2020!