Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking the MX from Long island to Mississauga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not that bad, and in fact is getting easier as more Superchargers are coming online. You can go either through Niagara Falls or up via Kingston/Gananoque. Charging is fairly easy to get to along either route. We've tended to take the route through Niagara Falls. I would beware going through NYC as I understand that the Holland tunnel highway on the NJ side is going through an extensive rebuild. What part of Long Island are you heading from roughly? PM me if you want to get to particulars.

Maybe we will take the GWB to avoid the City altogether.
I plotted the trip at the Tesla Go anywhere, and it showed 4 stops, perfect because we need to stop somehow.
MX 100D btw.
Thanks

We tend to stop in Tannersville PA at an outlet mall, Binghamton (there's a nice little restaurant there we hit for lunch), Syracuse, take the 90 (toll route) to Buffalo, cross the border then top up at Grimsby. You may want to go to Toronto at Sherway Gardens to top up as it's the closest Supercharger to Mississauga at the current time.

• Informative
Reactions: Kalex and mrElbe
This is the route that was plotted. Pretty much the same as everyone's suggestion. Looks like it's 14 mins from Mississauga. Wow, 20 urban chargers, I should be set. Top up on arrival and before going back to New York.

Thanks for all your help!!! Awesome group!!

Attachments

• 1B5A8055-6955-42F3-BBC3-D1D4C946F50E.jpeg
    1B5A8055-6955-42F3-BBC3-D1D4C946F50E.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 50
  • D6F69BEF-B11C-4288-8FA9-D35E9B86CF1F.jpeg
    D6F69BEF-B11C-4288-8FA9-D35E9B86CF1F.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Did this last March (Boston, but close enough) and coming up we came across I90. You should do 81 likely. There's a supercharger in Watertown you'll likely hit. It's not a great location...one of those malls that was busy when people shopped at Sears but is now a bit quiet. Still you only need enough range to get you about 60 miles to Kingston where you can stop/eat/shop.

Cross the border at the thousand islands/into Gananoque

from there you can charge at numerous stations along the 401 to Toronto/Mississauga including , in order:

Kingston (6, at an outlet mall), Belleville (20, at the main drag in a small town with lots of food options), Port Hope (8 at a highway rest stop with a few fast food options...probably best to skip if you've charged at Kingston or Belleville), Pickering (20, at a big box shoping centre...charge here to leapfrog Toronto)

Then you get into Toronto which you can bypass. If you need to supercharge as you get close to Mississauga, you can charge at the Etobicoke Sherway supercharger (20 72kw max urban chargers at a high end shopping mall) at the 427/QEW . Those are major highways, QEW runs east-west along Lake Ontario, 427 runs north south and connects 401-QEW/

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP and Kalex
This is the route that was plotted. Pretty much the same as everyone's suggestion. Looks like it's 14 mins from Mississauga. Wow, 20 urban chargers, I should be set. Top up on arrival and before going back to New York.

Thanks for all your help!!! Awesome group!!

Those stops are interesting, insofar as they have you bypassing two SC in Buffalo and Grimsby. I suppse they will be there if you really need them, but keep one thing in mind, if for some reason you intend on stopping at Grimsby....

My son and I used it coming back from a hockey tournament on a Saturday evening in January. We got to the SC at about 9:30pm and EVERYTHING was either closed or about to close (Swiss Chalet, Harveys and Tim Hortons). Thankfully the Tim's was open so we could use the bathrooms but they had NO food offerings at a time we considered was still relatively early. The other places were closed.

The SC at Sherway is great becuase you are connected to the Mall (which also has a Tesla Store) but the food offerings around are endless. From highend Italian across the street (Via Alegro), to steaks (Keg) or food court type food. I think the Sherway SC is a geat location!

• Informative
Reactions: Kalex
Did this last March (Boston, but close enough) and coming up we came across I90. You should do 81 likely. There's a supercharger in Watertown you'll likely hit. It's not a great location...one of those malls that was busy when people shopped at Sears but is now a bit quiet. Still you only need enough range to get you about 60 miles to Kingston where you can stop/eat/shop.

Cross the border at the thousand islands/into Gananoque

from there you can charge at numerous stations along the 401 to Toronto/Mississauga including , in order:

Kingston (6, at an outlet mall), Belleville (20, at the main drag in a small town with lots of food options), Port Hope (8 at a highway rest stop with a few fast food options...probably best to skip if you've charged at Kingston or Belleville), Pickering (20, at a big box shoping centre...charge here to leapfrog Toronto)

Then you get into Toronto which you can bypass. If you need to supercharge as you get close to Mississauga, you can charge at the Etobicoke Sherway supercharger (20 72kw max urban chargers at a high end shopping mall) at the 427/QEW . Those are major highways, QEW runs east-west along Lake Ontario, 427 runs north south and connects 401-QEW/

Will keep this in mind. Can't wait for Friday.Thank you.

Last Sunday, we drove from Memphis to NY in a rented ICE SUV. 1200 miles, 18 hours, overnight at Knoxville, long story why we did it.
Wished I had the MX
Auto pilot would have been awesome. Cruise control helped a bit.

Last Sunday, we drove from Memphis to NY in a rented ICE SUV. 1200 miles, 18 hours, overnight at Knoxville, long story why we did it.
Wished I had the MX
Auto pilot would have been awesome. Cruise control helped a bit.

I am one of those people that absolutely cannot live with cruise control (and now AP). I use it ALL the time. Often, I find it best in bumper to bumper traffic on our highways (which is now the norm anywhere in Toronto).

Reactions: oakvillemike