Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me into it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a LOT of research leading up to my purchase. Over a year of scouring news articles, YouTube Vids and Blogs. I never test drove one. What influenced my decision was: Moving away from gasoline, helping to be a better steward of the planet AND......insane speed! What really sold me were the cabin videos of folks experiencing the exhillaration of the launch. Can't begin to tell you how happy I am and, I will never go back to ICE. Pull the trigger, you know you will! Don't worry about parking outside, ceramic or regular waxing will take care of it.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Enough said. You live once. If you want it, get it.

I park it outside in the driveway.

The advantage of parking a shiny new Tesla in the driveway - it magically improves the appeal and resale value of your house! :cool:

Real estate agents know the value of "staging" the furnishings and pictures inside the house but they are clueless about "staging" the driveway. If you're selling your house, this could pay for the first three years of depreciation on your new Model 3! It makes the whole property seem more upscale. :)

Reactions: FlyinLow and duanra
The advantage of parking a shiny new Tesla in the driveway - it magically improves the appeal and resale value of your house! :cool:

Real estate agents know the value of "staging" the furnishings and pictures inside the house but they are clueless about "staging" the driveway. If you're selling your house, this could pay for the first three years of depreciation on your new Model 3! It makes the whole property seem more upscale. :)

Funny you mention this. My neighbor put his house up for sale this past weekend and asked me on Sunday why my Tesla wasn't in my driveway like it usually is. There's been a Hyundai rental there for the last week as I get my spoiler installed, wheels powder-coated, etc.

I didn't think to ask why he was checking, but now you have me wondering.:D

Last edited:
We've been parking our Teslas in the driveway (garage too full and not tackled yet) and charge outside on the driveway so no problem not having a garage. You can preheat or cool your car with your app before you get in it to go so comfortable regardless of the season.

Since you already are an EV family (at least with your wife's car) that's great. No need to sell you on the benefit. Teslas do offer more in the way of pleasure driving and fun in general IMO than any other EV out there. You didn't say if the kids will inherit her Prius but if they do or if they might be at home for a while and also want to drive an EV like a Leaf, then I'm going to suggest installing a NEMA-14-50 outside. Doesn't have to be in a garage, doesn't have to be mounted to your house. I've seen people sometimes run an electrical connnection to a short post that can be more easily moved at a future date. Just need a weather proof cover. The NEMA 14-50 would give your family more versatility to charge (and anyone coming to your house as a guest that needs a charge). I take advantage of the 11pm-6am low electricty rate on my LR AWD Model 3 (310 miles) and can fully charge overnight during that timeframe. Of course the HPWC is great and is weather proof too and is an all in one solution for charging but you will be limited to only Teslas being able to charge with it. So something to think about. When you get your garage built you can always install one there and have the NEMA 14-50 also available.

BTW a NEMA 14-50 outlet is VERY desirable with contractors working outside and needing a supply for their power tools. Before we got our garage outlet, the guys working on redoing our backyard (bbq island, pergola and installing stone pavers) were using our outdoor outlets which couldn't handle all of their power tools especially if one guy ran a saw and someone else wanted to use another piece of equipment. I was always resetting the GFI to the outdoor circuit when the power would invariably go out. One last point or two for use of a NEMA 14-50, it's RVs friend and I understand hot tubs would require them too.

If your wife is open to buying a Model 3 for her use, I'd say go for it. I absolutely love driving mine every day (not exaggerating) and so glad we didn't buy another brand when it was time to retire my car (btw it was a 2001 fully loaded Toyota Avalon which I got many years of service out of--but would never say I Loved driving it like I do with my Model 3). Cars are expensive and you get yourself tied to owning one for a while before you can buy another. So you really need to choose wisely especially with so much going on with the future of EVs in flux. Tesla has designed their cars with so much forethought and with the updates, I just feel you won't be making a bad move on a car that will age with you. If you can swing it, let her enjoy a Model 3 now. It has a great safety record in crashes too.

Oh and the Boxster owner might find he enjoys driving the Model 3 as well :D. What version are you guys thinking about? I don't have the performance version but find the AWD version with the LR battery fast and fun enough for my use.

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D
We've had good experience with both Tesla's.
2017 Model S 100D: Added 24,000 miles in 19 months. Service Center trips:
- Replace tire and wheel damaged in unfortunate curb encounter.
- Scheduled service. Annual at the time, now every two years.
- Replace driver's mirror - it wouldn't open completely in really cold weather.
- Next week - resolve problem triggering warning that Automatic Park is not available.

2018 Model 3 P-: 6,200 miles in 9 months.
- Replace front motor because of an alert that popped up, then cleared.

Devon, PA staff is courteous and informative. I've either telecommuted from the showroom - mirror & scheduled service - or had a loaner. When the 3 was in for front motor, drove Model S loaner Philadelphia-Cleveland-Philadelphia over the weekend, with free Supercharging.

The best cars we've driven. No regrets.

64 years old, so I've had my share of cars.
We put down the deposit intending to buy the $35,000 M3 and waited years. Now there is a loaded LR AWD @ 60'000 sitting in the garage. (the $12,500 in incentives gave us incentive)
Having never driven one, I was 50% terrified of the price and 50% excited on delivery day. Less than 3 blocks from the SC when I launched it the terrified morphed into "Whatever it takes"

I've got a HP '66 Mustang that I personally restored with blood and treasure over 20 years, and it sits in the garage gathering dust now. The Tesla makes that car slow.

I'll just warn you here, if you drive one - you will own one.

Hello all,

OP here. Thank you all for your valuable advice. All very good, and all taken into consideration. Keep it comin'!

Did a test drive yesterday, though I was pretty well sold long before that from my other various encounters. Balancing all the other factors in our lives, we will probably forgo half of the remaining tax credit incentive and pull the trigger in September or October, when we get all our ducks in a row. But you never know!

For some odd reason, the only Model 3 they had available for me to test drive was the performance model. We went to the highway immediately. Good Gawd. Are there numbers anywhere comparing passing acceleration from one model to the next? For example, accelerating from 40-70 in a performance model as compared to doing the same in the SR+.

There were zero SR+ models available when we were looking at the dealer. I chatted with the salesman about the fact that the tax credit is applied when you take delivery, rather than when you place the order, and how the legislation created such a potentially problematic situation, since you can't control when your car is delivered. He also said ordering one with none of the upgrades increases the odds it would happen before July 1st. He encouraged me to order anyway knowing I could later enact the money-back guarantee, and told me that I could do that without hesitation. I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting the dealer out, and he assured me it would be no problem, and that it would only add to the dealer inventory. They are obviously unable to keep them on hand, so it seemed like I would be doing them a favor!

I will post here how it all turns out. Thanks for your support.

Reactions: Tron 3
Good luck, whatever you decide.

As for the passing difference between P and non-P, I wouldn't worry too much. While it's true that the P model is ridiculously fast, the rest are still going to smoke almost anything in normal driving. I have an LR RWD (0-60 in about 5 seconds vs the P's 3.2), and I have never had an issue passing. You envision yourself in a space, and then your car is there immediately.

Reactions: Tron 3
I think holding off is the smart play for sure based on what you describe. I was trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger last year before the full credit expired, and ultimately a friend just said “just because you have a coupon, it doesn’t mean you have to buy it”. I know it’s a BIG coupon, but at the end of the day, there are some bigger priorities for a lot of us. Of course, I say that as a guy who picked up a CPO P85+ almost 3 years ago! That car will be paid off soon though and it will be nice not to have a little less debt burden in my life.