Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tap Key Card to Allow Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm absolutely loving my new Model 3. Unfortunately, I have one niggling issue that is a little frustrating. The phone key works great, especially since the latest update. The car unlocks almost every time as soon as I press on the door handle with the phone in my hand. However, even though it opens consistently and will be playing music from my phone over Bluetooth, I still usually get a message to "Tap Key Card to Allow Driving." I then have to fumble for my key and tap it to the center console.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

20180404_161523.jpg

Sounds like the bluetooth to the car from the phone isn't working, so it thinks there's no phone and then wants the keycard, of course (in the cupholder). Does it do anything better without music playing?

Normally, you should not even have to have the keycard around; it's for backup/emergencies. Good to have it, but it shouldn't need to be there. This is definitely not normal.

I'm absolutely loving my new Model 3. Unfortunately, I have one niggling issue that is a little frustrating. The phone key works great, especially since the latest update. The car unlocks almost every time as soon as I press on the door handle with the phone in my hand. However, even though it opens consistently and will be playing music from my phone over Bluetooth, I still usually get a message to "Tap Key Card to Allow Driving." I then have to fumble for my key and tap it to the center console.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

View attachment 291815

I had that problem, too. Sometimes I would have to pull out the keycard, but other times, I would wait a few seconds and the warning would go away.

The problem wasn't consistent and then it went away (i.e. I didn't do anything and there were no updates). I haven't had the problem in a couple of weeks.

This car is quirky at times.

I have the same issue, happens randomly. I have found that it is the Bluetooth even though the car shows connected via Bluetooth because I will turn off and back on phone Bluetooth and key card message will go away after that every time. I find it very strange because music is playing via Bluetooth and I have never had problems connecting Bluetooth to other devices. I have a standard iPhone 6s. Strange... Ted, did you get it resolved for you?

Was the problem that you get in the car after unlocking and dont start the car right away? I think if you dont start the car, you then have to start over as a security precaution. Im sure i read it somewhere in the manual

Agreed. Step out of the car and lock and unlock the car with the key card. Then tap the key card as shown in the console graphic. The console will unlock and you can now drive the car! Seems it's a safety measure, but can be inconvenient.

I've had it happen to me too. I'm not always ready to leave immediately, either checking email, my calendar, making a call or trying to decide what I want to be listening to.

From the manual:
"Note: If Passive Entry is off and you do not press the brake pedal to start Model 3 within approximately five minutes, a message displays on the touchscreen and you must use the key to lock then unlock Model 3 again before starting the vehicle."

Avoid it by getting in the car and stepping on the brake.

My mid range m3 does this weekly at the least. It doesn't connect to Bluetooth multiple times per day. I've taken it to the SC four times and no fix still. They told me it could be my phone so I bought a new one and issue continues. Phones uses are the Galaxy note 8 Samsung S9.

Agreed. Step out of the car and lock and unlock the car with the key card. Then tap the key card as shown in the console graphic. The console will unlock and you can now drive the car! Seems it's a safety measure, but can be inconvenient.

Correction / Update. The console graphic showing where to tap the key card to unlock the console and be able to drive, is incorrect. The manual states it correctly. It's the area just below the handrest, next to the cupholder. Touch the key card there and it unlocks the console screen and enables driving instantly on first try!!

The car does two separate Bluetooth pairings - one is for your car key function, which goes directly to the motor control, and the other pairing is for the audio/video console. When I look into my phone's memory for paired devices, I find one for "Tesla Model 3" (this is for phone key) and one that matches what I named my car (this is for the audio/video console.)

To your phone, the Car is one device, and the Console is another device.

If your phone connects to the Console and then won't respond to the Car, it will ask for a Key Card. Turning Bluetooth off/on in the phone usually fixes this quickly.

(I find this situation is very rare if I reboot my phone every day or two.)

Have you tried rebooting the console instead of turning Bluetooth off and on again on the phone to see if that makes a difference. It takes longer but maybe it’s glitching.

Does anyone know where the Bluetooth unit itself is located on the car? Part of me wonders if some of these mods people are doing to the car may be interfering with the communications. There’s a video by rpm Tesla for their carbon fiber center console wrap and they have to show you how to start the car because the key card won’t work through the carbon fiber.

Maybe some of these console wraps or dash wraps aren’t playing so nice?