Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I opened my Model 3 with the key card. No problem. I left my car unlocked for about 30 minutes before I attempted to drive. Then I noticed that placing the key card in the center console would not allow me to drive.

I then stepped out, tried to lock the vehicle and the card was not locking it. Seemed like the card was dead. I figured let me try to remove the card and re-add it. I couldn’t do that either because to remove it, the car needs to detect the key card.

I tried another key card and also my phone and that worked fine. However, it seems that the first key card suddenly died?

Is there another way to troubleshoot further? If dead, how can I remove it from my account?

At least one key card needs to be paired with the car. It will not let you remove it if there is no other paired card. Since you added a new card, you should be able to remove the dead one from the menu, same process as a "lost" card. The card is associated with the car, not the account.

It's likely your first card is dead, but if you'd like to troubleshoot further:
- Ensure 2nd card is paired
- Remove 1st card
- Attempt to re-add 1st card

IMO, I would toss it, since an intermittent card can cause more headache than it is worth. While rare, they can be damaged by flexing/bending.

Upvote 0
I will look again in the car. However, I could not find an option to delete it without it asking me to tap the card on the center console. I have 3 cards already paired. One of them is the one that died.
I believe any key card will work. The same "tap key card" message will appear when attempting to remove phone or key fob pairings. In the Tesla world, the key card is effectively your only "real" key(s). I've had the phone unpair on me in the past after an update, requiring the key card to get in/start the car (when there is no cell signal, remote unlock will not work!)

Reactions: Mario Veras
Upvote 0
I believe any key card will work. The same "tap key card" message will appear when attempting to remove phone or key fob pairings. In the Tesla world, the key card is effectively your only "real" key(s). I've had the phone unpair on me in the past after an update, requiring the key card to get in/start the car (when there is no cell signal, remote unlock will not work!)
Thank you. Using your suggestion I was able to remove the bad key card. Selected to remove the first (bad) key, tapped using the second key and the first was gone.

Reactions: DevZ
Upvote 0
At least one key card needs to be paired with the car. It will not let you remove it if there is no other paired card. Since you added a new card, you should be able to remove the dead one from the menu, same process as a "lost" card. The card is associated with the car, not the account.

It's likely your first card is dead, but if you'd like to troubleshoot further:
- Ensure 2nd card is paired
- Remove 1st card
- Attempt to re-add 1st card

IMO, I would toss it, since an intermittent card can cause more headache than it is worth. While rare, they can be damaged by flexing/bending.

Upvote 0