Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Wireless Charger Not Working After 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not working if your latest version is 2019.9. Amber LED's blink and charging is cycling on/off with nothing but the Taptes charger connected to each USB ports and without any splitters or hubs. Confirmed still a problem on 2019.9

Can anyone on 2019.12 confirm it's properly fixed?

Hopefully this is not hijacking the thread.

Does this adapter supports 10W fast Qi charging? The taptes site says that you need to use a powerbank, but I failed to understand why and how that would help.
It supports faster Qi charging only when connected to a power source that supports QuickCharge with 9V. The USB ports in the front compartment of the Model 3 do not support that. You can use either a powerbank or a cigarette lighter adapter with QC in the armrest compartment.

• Helpful
Reactions: VQTRVA
It supports faster Qi charging only when connected to a power source that supports QuickCharge with 9V. The USB ports in the front compartment of the Model 3 do not support that. You can use either a powerbank or a cigarette lighter adapter with QC in the armrest compartment.
So without doing any research yet, am I right to assume that using a power bank requires occasional refilling of the power bank ; but can one do this by keeping it plug constantly into the arm rest 12v plug?

So without doing any research yet, am I right to assume that using a power bank requires occasional refilling of the power bank ; but can one do this by keeping it plug constantly into the arm rest 12v plug?
Well, in principle you could also keep it plugged into the front ports and it would charge (provided that you use the car enough that the ports remain powered long enough). But not all power banks can charge and provide power at the same time, and some will turn off the output port if no load is detected (and require a button press to turn it back on).

Personally I don't think it's worth it. Due to the lower efficiency of the inductive coupling, even "fast" wireless charging is still slower than simple wired charging at 10W or better, and often produces a lot of heat in the phone which isn't good for the battery. I use my wireless charging pad only to prevent the phone from draining its battery on longer trips, and it does that just fine when fed from the front ports. I carry a fast charging cigarette lighter adapter just in case I need a quick charge in the car, but haven't used it so far.

• Helpful
Reactions: VQTRVA
Well, in principle you could also keep it plugged into the front ports and it would charge (provided that you use the car enough that the ports remain powered long enough). But not all power banks can charge and provide power at the same time, and some will turn off the output port if no load is detected (and require a button press to turn it back on).

Personally I don't think it's worth it. Due to the lower efficiency of the inductive coupling, even "fast" wireless charging is still slower than simple wired charging at 10W or better, and often produces a lot of heat in the phone which isn't good for the battery. I use my wireless charging pad only to prevent the phone from draining its battery on longer trips, and it does that just fine when fed from the front ports. I carry a fast charging cigarette lighter adapter just in case I need a quick charge in the car, but haven't used it so far.
Great points.

I wanted to add wireless charging as an alternative but have always relied on a cable to get teh fastest & safest charges.

Thanks for that.

How does the Amazon charging pad manage to do it then?
A voltage step-up circuit included?

The Tesla OEM wireless charger has only 5W of power per side, per specs.

Looks like Taptes has a 3rd generation Dual Phone Wireless Charging Pad on sale for only $39.99 (as of 5/9/19) and it comes with detachable cables, USB splitter cables, as well as horizontal charging support, just like the 2,5x more expensive Jeda. Unlike the Jeda it also has amber LED charging LED indicators.

According to published specs the TapTes one can do 10W fast charging on each side, but obviously only if you power it directly from the 12v switched, similar to the way I did it.

I have been using all the TapTes chargers from Gen1 onwards due to lower cost, and my Gen3 is in transit. I will advise if I find any issues.