Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tariff woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, our Commander in Chief officially tweeted:

"We are not in a trade war with China,..."

Ok. So it might cost China $20,000 per car cited above but the impact would be minimal for the U.S. consumers: $37 per car according to CEO of Century Aluminum.

$20,000 vs. $37!

Guess who will win in this conflict?

You've got this backwards. The tariffs are designed to hurt American manufacturers. The side effect is it'll inconvenience Chinese consumers as well, who will have to shift purchases to other cars (non-US or domestic). But the main effect is on American manufacturers that have lost the world's largest auto market.

In addition, the reason why the number seems so staggering in your cherry-picked report is because China is focusing on finished products concentrated in a few areas, whereas American tariffs are on intermediate products that affects a much broader array of downstream players with nebulous effects. For the Chinese, this is clearly intentional. See an analysis from Paul Krugman here: Opinion | How to Lose a Trade War

Key quote in the link that criticizes the phenomenon you mentioned:
So in today’s world, smart trade warriors – if such people exist – would focus their tariffs on final goods, so as to avoid raising costs for downstream producers of domestic goods. True, this would amount to a more or less direct tax on consumers; but if you’re afraid to impose any burden on consumers, you really shouldn’t be getting into a trade war in the first place.

One correction to the OP: the price increase is not "as much as $20000." It's actually way more than $20000 if you read that article closely...

Last edited:
According to this article, China had 25% tariffs on imported cars until late May when they dropped to 15%.

The current round of retaliatory tariffs seems to be concentrated on agricultural items. I can't find any mention of increased tariffs on cars, so I'm not sure why Tesla felt they had to raise prices. The OP's cited article doesn't explain this.

Both you and the OP are correct. China did lower car tariffs 2 months ago. But as of this week, China imposed additional tariffs on electric vehicles imported from the US. So Tesla had this awkward 1 month period where the cars were super cheap (relatively) but is now even more expensive than they originally were earlier in the year.

In choosing these tariffs, I believe the ones on agricultural products are offensive (Republican core constituency). The tariffs on electric vehicles are probably defensive (protect nascent domestic EV manufacturers).

According to this article, China had 25% tariffs on imported cars until late May when they dropped to 15%.

The current round of retaliatory tariffs seems to be concentrated on agricultural items. I can't find any mention of increased tariffs on cars, so I'm not sure why Tesla felt they had to raise prices. The OP's cited article doesn't explain this.
The import tariff used to be 10%. Now with the new 25% we’re up to 35% total.

You've got this backwards. The tariffs are designed to hurt American manufacturers. The side effect is it'll inconvenience Chinese consumers as well, who will have to shift purchases to other cars (non-US or domestic). But the main effect is on American manufacturers that have lost the world's largest auto market.

Dear Walmart Investor,

The Tariffs will hurt Walmart (ChinaMart), Harbor Freight (China Freight), and Amazon, (Chinazon). However, I think that a few million more USA jobs (which were killed by e.g. $5 flannel shirts from China) will return. This is a good deal and we should all be glad to have a president willing to take great personal risks to do this. For all the other things he does, I hate them all, but the sellout of American industry is coming to an end under Trump, and I applaud that.

Signed, BuyAmerican.

I don't really blame China for any of the trade imbalance. The only people we can blame is ourselves. We like cheap goods. Almost everyone shops around while buying things looking for the best price. The best price is almost always China and always will. American labor is very expensive and that won't change. Even if you do buy American made that doesn't necessarily mean the quality is going to be better because you paid twice as much. How could we balance the trade difference with China when we don't have much that they want to buy or can't make for themselves cheaply? Any company or country that produces something way below the market price of all their competitors will always get attacked. If the imbalance was the other way around America wouldn't see any issues with that. Just my opinion on the subject but the tariffs have affected my business greatly.

Last edited:
I don't really blame China for any of the trade imbalance. The only people we can blame is ourselves. We like cheap goods. Almost everyone shops around while buying things looking for the best price. The best price is almost always China and always will. American labor is very expensive and that won't change. Even if you do buy American made that doesn't necessarily mean the quality is going to be better because you paid twice as much. How could we balance the trade difference with China when we don't have much that they want to buy or can't make for themselves cheaply? Any company or country that produces something way below the market price of all their competitors will always get attacked. If the imbalance was the other way around America wouldn't see any issues with that. Just my opinion on the subject but the tariffs have affected my business greatly.

Trump's emphasis on trade imbalance is just poor economics. An imbalance in itself is not a measure of economic health. For example, the US economy is close to full employment currently, despite the deficits.

And yes, as you mentioned, much of the reasons for the imbalance starts at home... in that Americans spend too much and saves too little. But this spending improves quality of life, so there's benefits to this.

Reactions: Pentium2004