Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain how the tax credit will work? For instance if you only owe 5k in Federal Taxes and get the full $7,500 tax credit, does the 5k go to 0 owed and then you get refunded the remaining $2,500 or do you lose that? Any insight would be helpful.

Can someone explain how the tax credit will work? For instance if you only owe 5k in Federal Taxes and get the full $7,500 tax credit, does the 5k go to 0 owed and then you get refunded the remaining $2,500 or do you lose that? Any insight would be helpful.
da74fa09e1cc64868c97ddeebf63f821.jpg

What you are describing is called a "refundable tax credit," which can reduce your tax to less than 0, resulting in that amount being refunded to you. Most tax credits are "non-refundable tax credits," which cannot reduce your tax to less than 0.

The EV tax credit is a non-refundable credit. In your example, you only get to take $5000 off your taxes, reducing the amount due to 0. You don't get the extra $2500 back as a refund.

https://www.irs.com/articles/refundable-vs-non-refundable-tax-credits

What you are describing is called a "refundable tax credit," which can reduce your tax to less than 0, resulting in that amount being refunded to you. Most tax credits are "non-refundable tax credits," which cannot reduce your tax to less than 0.

The EV tax credit is a non-refundable credit. In your example, you only get to take $5000 off your taxes, reducing the amount due to 0. You don't get the extra $2500 back as a refund.

https://www.irs.com/articles/refundable-vs-non-refundable-tax-credits

You have to be careful to distinguish total tax from tax due. I took the question to mean that they had more than $7500 in taxes, but due to withholding only owed an additional $5000 in taxes. In that situation you will indeed get a $2500 refund.

You have to be careful to distinguish total tax from tax due. I took the question to mean that they had more than $7500 in taxes, but due to withholding only owed an additional $5000 in taxes. In that situation you will indeed get a $2500 refund.
Yes, that's true. I read the OP's case as having $5000 in total taxes for the year, not $5000 due in April. The amount due in April is irrelevant. It's the total amount due for the year (1040 line 56 or 63, not sure if "other taxes" count; ask a CPA), not any amount due (1040 line 78).

Out of curiosity - if you're in a situation where you owe less than $7500 of taxes for the whole year, can you take money out of your 401K and offset the $7500 tax credit against the early-withdrawal penalty?

I assume so... The early-withdrawal penalty is just an ordinary tax right, not a fine?

Anything you do to increase the federal taxes you owe in a given year should, in theory, be able to be reclaimed via a tax credit when it comes tax time.

Don't forget to factor in the state taxes on that withdrawal; it may not be worth it. Give this a whirl if you are curious: Early Withdrawal Penalties - Traditional and Roth IRAs

Disclaimer: I am not a tax accountant or investment advisory, consult yours if you are thinking about this. I can tell you early withdrawals are taxed obscene amounts.

Out of curiosity - if you're in a situation where you owe less than $7500 of taxes for the whole year, can you take money out of your 401K and offset the $7500 tax credit against the early-withdrawal penalty?

I assume so... The early-withdrawal penalty is just an ordinary tax right, not a fine?

Nope, it wouldn't work (despite what other people are guessing). The electric drive motor vehicle credit is calculated as part of the taxes and credits section of form 1040. It cannot offset entries in the "other taxes" section that follows it. That section includes things like the 401K withdrawal or the health insurance penalty.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's true. I read the OP's case as having $5000 in total taxes for the year, not $5000 due in April. The amount due in April is irrelevant. It's the total amount due for the year (1040 line 56 or 63, not sure if "other taxes" count; ask a CPA), not any amount due (1040 line 78).

I'm not sure why people feel they need to consult a CPA about any tax question. The IRS instructions for this are pretty straightforward if you just take the time to read them. The credit for electric vehicles is entered on line 54 and calculated on line 56, which can't be less than 0. "Other taxes" are then added to this amount in the following section.

Nope, it wouldn't work (despite what other people are guessing). The electric drive motor vehicle credit is calculated as part of the taxes and credits section of form 1040. It cannot offset entries in the "other taxes" section that follows it. That section includes things like the 401K withdrawal or the health insurance penalty.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure why people feel they need to consult a CPA about any tax question. The IRS instructions for this are pretty straightforward if you just take the time to read them. The credit for electric vehicles is entered on line 54 and calculated on line 56, which can't be less than 0. "Other taxes" are then added to this amount in the following section.
You answered your own question. :biggrin:

It is not quite as easy as the above explanations, although for most taxpayers the above conclusion is usually correct.

Keen observers of page two, form 1040 see that the credits section from lines 48 through 54 have a sequence. It is entirely possible for a taxpayer to have some foreign tax credit, child tax credit or another credit that appears above line 54, where the credit from form 8936 plops onto your return. Those credits are applied sequentially. So, it is possible for a taxpayer to have an income tax liability of $8,000 but a few credits for child care, foreign taxes, education expenses that would drop the tentative liability to, say $6,300. The EV credit would then eliminate that $6,300 tax liability, but the $1,200 residual amount of credit is lost forever. The only good news is that if that taxpayer's return is examined and additional tax is assessed, the taxpayer does have a $1,200 cushion for additional taxes owed. :cool:

You are also correct in that the "other taxes" section that includes SE tax, Nanny tax, penalty for premature distribution from a qualified plan, NIIT, are ineligible to be reduced by means of the EV tax credit claimed on form 8936.

I feel as though many of the purchasers of the Model 3 will be under the $7,500 owed in Federal Income Tax. Do you guys think the government will make a change on how the tax credit works? Otherwise, Tesla and other sites stating the cost -$7,500, is fairly incorrect for most of the purchasers.

I feel as though many of the purchasers of the Model 3 will be under the $7,500 owed in Federal Income Tax. Do you guys think the government will make a change on how the tax credit works? Otherwise, Tesla and other sites stating the cost -$7,500, is fairly incorrect for most of the purchasers.
I would have only gotten a little over 1k of the rebate based on this years taxes, the Model 3 is quickly becoming too expensive.

It was the same when Leaf and Volt arrived - reminding everyone what a tax credit is.
The credit only applies when you purchase the car, its all different if you lease

- - - Updated - - -

I would have only gotten a little over 1k of the rebate based on this years taxes, the Model 3 is quickly becoming too expensive.
Don't purchase it - get a lease initially with a plan to buy it once the lease expires.
As dgpcolorado mentioned in the other tax credit discussion, they roll the credit into the lease as a reduction of the downpayment.
The lease funds the depreciation and you get to buy the car at the end - assuming you still want it.

It was the same when Leaf and Volt arrived - reminding everyone what a tax credit is.
The credit only applies when you purchase the car, its all different if you lease

- - - Updated - - -

Don't purchase it - get a lease initially with a plan to buy it once the lease expires.
As dgpcolorado mentioned in the other tax credit discussion, they roll the credit into the lease as a reduction of the downpayment.
The lease funds the depreciation and you get to buy the car at the end - assuming you still want it.
What?!!!! How did I miss this info? What are the extra costs associated with the lease? The whole 7.5 k are rolled into the price of the car at the lease.

Will going to the store to reserve a model 3 put me at a earlier delivery date than the online reservations? Trying to capture this tax credit is a deciding factor for me. Cheers!

Reserving at the store will allow you into the Configuration screen before online orders once that becomes available. The choices you make once you are actually configuring your Model 3 will determine if you get the car early or late. "Highly Optioned" cars will ship first, no matter when you reserved.