Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teaser photo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woops, I actually meant why to the "thank god" bit.

Because it looks like a steaming turd...

2012-bmw-x6_600x0w.jpg

We all know the US loves SUVs and Crossovers more than brits so that's hardly surprising. I'd imagine it's also a larger market...

*edit* from Wikipedia:

8158467416.png

It's not clear however, if the first column is also US-only sales or not.

From another thread:

David Imai designs very cools cars and is a Designer at Tesla. Clue as to what the Model X might look like?....
attachment.php?attachmentid=4038&d=1328453424.jpg

View attachment 4038

If it looks anything like Imai's concept, I want one, badly, now. I am more interested in the Model X than S, although I suspect us Brits will be waiting a long time. I really hope it does have two motors / 4WD and makes much better use of regen braking from all the braking effort that normally goes through the the front discs, as well as some serious performance.

(... but if it looks anything like the grotesque and fugly BMW X6, then I'll be too ashamed to wear the Tesla badge on the front of my car, will sell up, cash the shares before they become a laughing stock, and go live in the hills. You can tell I dont like it, right ?!)

Heres a crude effort of converting the image into a transparent layer over the original teaser shot :-

modelxteaserincreasedbrightness5.jpg

There are plenty of SUVs on the road over here, just very few X6s. I'd like to think it shows taste.

According to the 2010-2011 DVLA stats of all cars licenced on UK roads, there were 62,364 BMW X5's on the roads, and 23,258 X3's etc etc. In total there was a whopping 1,271,765 BMW's of all ages on the road in 2010. Which, amazingly, is 3.8% of all cars on the roads.

However, somehow 4,030 of them were X6's, which roughly equates to the number of drivers who hold a licence but are registered partially sighted ...

Luckily these stats also suggest thats theres only one X6 to be found lurking in every 23 square miles of UK land, although most seem to be blocking up the roads in central London.

Last edited:
Heres a crude effort of converting the image into a transparent layer over the original teaser shot :-

modelxteaserincreasedbrightness5.jpg

I would say that is a very good job of overlaying one image on the other - 'crude' it is not.

One thing to point out for viewers is that the rear wheel is not going to be above the front wheel since I don't think the Model X is on a downward slope.

I have to admit I like the looks of the X6! Scourge me - but I think it looks good from every angle AND I like the brown!

Does this mean I have coprophilia?

I don't like the rear, but the front just looks like a BMW face on a CUV to me. Nothing remarkable in either direction. Considering it was stated they sell better here than in the UK and there are two Brits here with a big aversion to them, I guess it makes sense.

The drawing above SORT of reminds me of the range rover evoque, which is a pretty unique and sexy CUV IMO. The drawing... Not so much.

Let me just add a voice that I also think the X6 looks ugly, but my biggest problem with it is the point. If you want a SUV or crossover get one, if you want a coupe fine get one. If you want both then get 2 bloody cars instead of trying to get them both in the same car.
Norbert: Yeah for the 3 full rows and 7 adult passengers I'd think most crossovers or designs like the Evoque has too slooping roof line to allow anyone above 4' to sit in the 3rd row. I'm guessing a slightly rounded box shape like a minivan where the designer has done some tricks with the lines that makes it look a lit sleeker without actually being much sleeker. You know some standard reality-distortion field or somesuch.

Cobos

Let me just add a voice that I also think the X6 looks ugly, but my biggest problem with it is the point. If you want a SUV or crossover get one, if you want a coupe fine get one. If you want both then get 2 bloody cars instead of trying to get them both in the same car.

I haven't seen one in person, but isn't the X6 4-door? How is it coupe-like, is the headroom really low? I know I'm sounding like a BMW-evangelist, but I'm really not (I don't even like the brand personally), just trying to get to the bottom of the "hate", and how that may transfer over the Model X (since I see the X6 as your typical CUV)