TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Technical Trading Strategies

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Robert.Boston, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Charts ... Puts, calls, spreads ... greeks.

This thread is devoted to technical stock analysis and trading strategies for TSLA. Have fun!

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

buy low, sell high. a task that I fail at 99% of the time I try to trade. if I could have just flipped when I buy and when I sell, it probably would have paid for my P85.

3. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Now really isn't a good time to talk technicals. News breaks technical patterns, and the past week has been all about news.

That said, it is worth noting that gravity is still pulling us down to the 50-day moving average. The question in my mind is: will tomorrow's report be enough to reach escape velocity? The only thing that I think can keep this rally going is if they say that they are going for 30k cars this year instead of 20k. I think that is what it will take. I'm not sure that 25k can do it. I think that is already priced in.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Some mistake this for "buy at the bottom, sell at the top". That's overly ambitious for anyone doing legitimate trading.

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Which is why I prefer "buy on the way down, sell on the way up".

6. blakegallagher

This piece of advice I started following from you a few months ago and it is the best piece of investing advice I have ever taken ..... I buy and sell in "steps" now and never feel like I have "missed" the right time because I always try to have some left in case it keeps climbing.

7. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

And that is why I keep saying it.

8. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

Boss. I wish I sold half but I'm so close to that long term threshold.

9. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

This. +100.

I remember a comment by Steve Forbes when the Dot Com bubble was bursting and he came onto CNN with a big $#it eating grin talking about "what a great buying opportunity" it was and how you need to buy on the way down and sell on the way up. I hated that dude as a politician, but I always got the sense he knew how to make money.

10. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Don't let the tax man tell you how to manage your money.

11. blakegallagher

Was wandering what It meant by long term threshold ... a tax incentive to hold long term I am guessing?

12. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

If you hold your shares for a year then you'll pay a lower cap gains tax rate on profits from those shares when you sell them. Shares traded within a year get taxed at regular income rates. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Hold them long enough to go down again and you risk ending up with no gains to pay tax on.

14. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Amen.

15. agelston

agelston Member

Sell slightly OTM puts 2 months out. Buy them back 2 weeks out.

Rinse and Repeat.

16. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Better, buy them in your IRA or 401K account, there is no tax due until you start withdrawing your money from the retirement account...

17. blakegallagher

Now that the stock has had a few days after earnings call would anyone be willing to talk about where they feel the technicals are right now?

18. hershey101

hershey101 Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone is worried about the fact that for the past month TSLA has had huge gap downs on high volume while only recovering on very thinly traded volume, always making lower closing highs. To me, that seems like a recipe for a huge drop in price in the short term.
    Also, I was wondering if anyone has access to historical intra-day trading data (bid/ask spreads)? I would like to build a trading algorithm.

19. kenliles

kenliles Active Member

Frankly Ive been surprised at the relative strength following the earnings report drop. I expect it to cycle down to 33 but it can't seem to drop much below high 34s. Previous range extended below 30. You have a point on e volumes though, not sure what's producing that

20. blakegallagher

I have noticed the volume thing but I am not worried about it. To me it is just saying on days when none of the big players are making moves there are a bunch of individual investors picking up small portions .... I think it is positive and when the big players come in before earnings report price will break old records in anticipation of first quarterly profit