Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Technical Trading Strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I'm basically ONLY in synthetic longs for now. Got a pair of Junes and picked up some Jans today. Except one tweak, it's really a synthetic long where I sell the put/buy the call at the same strike. You still get a good maybe 3 bucks off of the current stock price this way. I think this has to do with put/call parity being out of whack due to high short interest right?

this trade is starting to make the rounds. a bunch were done at the 45 strike before. someone did a bunch more today:

10:54:54 120000 tesla traded 41.95 at cboe
10:54:35 1200 apr 45 calls traded at 0.35 at cboe
10:54:35 1200 apr 45 puts traded at 3.90 at cboe

this trader is selling the stock at 41.95 and then buying the synthetic 41.45 (= 45 - 3.90 + 0.35). net collection of 50c (1.2%) for 12 days. about a $60000 benefit vs. holding common.

the market maker on the other side of the trade can only do this trade if he can loan out his tesla shares at a minimum of 50% over the 9-12 day period from when his shares will settle to final delivery on the options expiration.

Anyone looking at Synthetic Longs right now?

For instance, with a Jan, 2014 expiration, one could:
- Sell the $35 Put for about $5.60
- Buy the $40 Call for about $4.50

If Tesla is above $38.90 on Jan 18, 2014, you make penny for penny above $38.90.
If Tesla is below $38.90 but above $35 on Jan 18, 2014, you make $1.10.
If Tesla is below $35 but above $33.90 on Jan 18, 2014, you make penny for penny above $33.90.
If Tesla is below $33.90, you're buying TSLA at $33.90.

With Tesla over $40 now, this seems like an easy bet. Thoughts?

i have read, and re-read this numerous times now. Can someone please walk me through the math, so I can figure stuff like this out on my own? I know it would take a bit of time, but I sure would appreciate it. Currently I hold stock, and have avoided options, however it seems like the way to go, with this whole 'leverage' thing. I have invested my RRSP (retirement account) by myself as want to put my money where my beliefs are, and Tesla takes up about 1/4 of my eggs, and by far the largest portion. My strategy has been buying on some dips, and selling on some highs (not working out so well).

Any help with the math, would be greatly appreciated.

i have read, and re-read this numerous times now. Can someone please walk me through the math, so I can figure stuff like this out on my own? I know it would take a bit of time, but I sure would appreciate it. Currently I hold stock, and have avoided options, however it seems like the way to go, with this whole 'leverage' thing. I have invested my RRSP (retirement account) by myself as want to put my money where my beliefs are, and Tesla takes up about 1/4 of my eggs, and by far the largest portion. My strategy has been buying on some dips, and selling on some highs (not working out so well).

Any help with the math, would be greatly appreciated.

Don't treat options like leverage, you will get burned. Treat options as a way to achieve additional protection either through selling premium or limiting capital at risk for control of the equivalent amount of shares.

(sorry, don't have time right now to do a writeup on options, but I'm sure someone else will fill you in.)

I am new to stock trading period and jumped right into basic calls. I hold some TSLA stock but most of my profit has been from buying calls just out of the money after a large drop that I feel is unwarranted. When I first started I bought the options out as far is I could so I would have some protection .... my advice is to buy one or two calls just out of the money the next time you want to add on a dip .... then when the stock recovers sell them .... if you lose the money it was only one or two options .... and I think you get more upside potential. you can afford to "miss" since its a small portion of investment but when there is a big spike you are rewarded much more than by only holding stock. DISCLAIMER: I have very little experience in the market.

An attempt at a simple explanation of a complex thing:

When there are only shares, the only "price" that is visible in the market is the stock price. However, when there are options, the market is effectively pricing the probability of the stock being at any price point in the future. So you can work out the entire probability curve, and find out stuff such as "the market thinks that there is a 5% chance that the stock price will be less than X in 2 months".

This opens up a whole new arena of "beating the market". Rather than just deciding whether or not the stock is overpriced or underpriced, you can trade on your disagreement with the market on any point along that probability curve. For instance, if you think that the market is exaggerating bankruptcy risk, you can sell far out of the money puts. This would be like selling insurance - you usually do not have to pay anything, but when the **** hits the fan your costs will be much higher than the insurance premium you received.

In general, option strategies are very advanced and you should know what you are doing. Additional disadvantages for the man in the street is less liquidity (meaning you pay higher spreads and that it may be expensive if you want to close out a position in a hurry), higher trading costs, and more risk of someone manipulating the market (ref "rolling naked short" thread).

I agree with mrbry not to treat options as leverage.

the math is not that hard. what is hard is understanding all the intricacies of the synthetic trade. a variety of different things can go wrong with it.

for someone who is inexperienced, i would say avoid doing complex options strategies like the plague. you can easily create situations where you accidentally end up losing a lot more than you expected, just because you didn't understand something. i can't remember which thread, but i had posted some of the bizarre things that can go wrong if you're long synthetics. for example, did you know that if the cost of shorting rises, you can actually lose money on a synthetic long in the short term even if the stock doesn't move? there's a lot of details to know about the mechanics of options before getting involved in this sort of trade. if you don't know them, stay away.

the easier way to participate in all the extra juice people are describing is to use a broker with a fully paid lending program. you could lend your shares through the program and earn a rebate. for example at interactive brokers they'll pay you 50% of the going rate, which has ranged from 50-85% annually. but there's a catch there too. as soon as you loan your shares, you no longer own them, and they are subject to various risks if the brokerage firm fails.

my advice: stay away until your understanding of options is strong enough to feel confident swimming in very deep shark-infested waters.

- - - Updated - - -

I am new to stock trading period and jumped right into basic calls.

+1 blake

over many years i've found the best trades are just simple long calls and (rarely) long puts. i hardly ever do anything else. they're easy to understand as you said, "i only lose $x if i'm wrong" and the risks are very easily understood when you own the option vs. writing it.

tesla for me is a rare exception where i use some complex strategies because of the synthetic long positions that are available.

- - - Updated - - -

So you can work out the entire probability curve, and find out stuff such as "the market thinks that there is a 5% chance that the stock price will be less than X in 2 months".

this isn't quite right. put call parity forces arbitrage relationships across options, and that clouds the view of probabilities you might imply from the options prices.

that is, let's say the market believes that there is a disproportionate chance of the stock going up 10% in a month. call buyers will come in and pump up the out of the money calls. arbitrage will cause other out of the money calls to rise as well. but the in-the-money puts will go up too because of put-call parity.

tesla's another example. look at the tesla put options and call options. a few weeks ago the april $45 call options were 0 bid 5c ask. the april $40 calls were offered at 15c. essentially saying there's a near zero chance of tesla going over $40. however with the stock trading $35-36 range, the prices were not reflective of any probability. they were reflecting the arbitrage relationship between shorting stock, paying carrying charges, and holding the synthetic long. work it out for a few different series and you'll see what i mean.

tesla's another example. look at the tesla put options and call options. a few weeks ago the april $45 call options were 0 bid 5c ask. the april $40 calls were offered at 15c. essentially saying there's a near zero chance of tesla going over $40. however with the stock trading $35-36 range, the prices were not reflective of any probability. they were reflecting the arbitrage relationship between shorting stock, paying carrying charges, and holding the synthetic long. work it out for a few different series and you'll see what i mean.

... and this right there is what has pushed me in to starting some careful options trading, going to buy some more near-term and some longer term call options that as far as I can see are very cheaply priced at the moment. As the stock rises and these become in the money it will be very rare for them not to trade at least at their intrinsic value, right?

As the stock rises and these become in the money it will be very rare for them not to trade at least at their intrinsic value, right?

a lot of times the bid in these options is about 5-10c below intrinsic value. the market makers want to get paid to take you out of the trade.

but you can always realize the intrinsic value by exercising the options and then selling the shares.

so one way or another the answer to your question is yes.

a lot of times the bid in these options is about 5-10c below intrinsic value. the market makers want to get paid to take you out of the trade.

but you can always realize the intrinsic value by exercising the options and then selling the shares.

so one way or another the answer to your question is yes.

Yeah I can live with 5-10 cents below, since gains of 100's or even 1000% IMO is within the realm of possibility.

i see a developing potential for wild trading around the $45 level. here's why: check the open interest on the $45 calls & puts. it's 15,000-20,000 contracts.

i'm nearly 100% certain that 15,000 of these contracts are a trader who did 15,000 conversions (meaning synthetic longs where he buys the $45 call and sells the $45 put with a plan to hold to expiration).

this guy runs into some trouble if the stock expires too close to $45 because then he'd be unsure of how much he'll get assigned on the puts vs. how much he should exercise on the calls.

that plus the large open interest creating some options hedging should make things get interesting around the $45 level.

check the open interest on the $45 calls & puts. it's 15,000-20,000 contracts.

I just did:
Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 4.08.21 PM.png

You're talking the April expiration, which is the end of next week. The subsequent months OI is comparatively quite low at this strike. Wonder what's so special about April?

I have invested my RRSP (retirement account) by myself as want to put my money where my beliefs are, and Tesla takes up about 1/4 of my eggs, and by far the largest portion. My strategy has been buying on some dips, and selling on some highs (not working out so well).
Sorry, don't have time to do an options writeup either (am I'm new to this thread), but IMHO, you have way too much in what I consider to be a speculative and somewhat volatile stock. I'd lighten up on your position and diversify into some low beta high-dividend yielding stocks where the dividends are safe (ones where they're not likely to be cut).

All it takes is some bad news or a bad earnings report/not beating expectations (or not by enough) to make TSLA plunge.
I am new to stock trading period and jumped right into basic calls. I hold some TSLA stock but most of my profit has been from buying calls just out of the money after a large drop that I feel is unwarranted. When I first started I bought the options out as far is I could so I would have some protection .... my advice is to buy one or two calls just out of the money the next time you want to add on a dip .... then when the stock recovers sell them .... if you lose the money it was only one or two options .... and I think you get more upside potential. you can afford to "miss" since its a small portion of investment but when there is a big spike you are rewarded much more than by only holding stock. DISCLAIMER: I have very little experience in the market.
Be careful about any long positions as its value erodes over time (negative theta). You've probably noticed. And, that time decay speeds up as you get closer to expiration.

Also, on many stocks, the implied volatility rises right before the earnings announcement date and collapses right after the announcement. (Not sure about TSLA since I don't follow its options. Easy enough to find out.) Even if the stock doesn't move, that you could suddenly cause the value of your long options to drop sharply.

(I used to try a strat on other stocks promoted on another site where one would buy strangles or straddles (basically long puts and long calls) prior to earnings announcements to take advantage of rising IV and selling after sufficient gain. The strat was a battle between rising IV and negative theta. Most times, you didn't want to hold the position thru earnings because is the move was insufficient, the value of the strangle/straddle would get crushed due to the IV crush.)

I consider myself to be a bit better than an options novice, but not by much...

I tend to make money by selling way OTM puts (below support levels) on other stocks to collect premium. I don't do it on TSLA though.

Right or wrong, I personally have a bias against simple long put or call positions due to the time decay. I prefer positions where time decay is my friend.

I made a bearish bet in FB long ago by buying a few puts many months out (expiration after some big lockups were supposed to expire). I ended up losing $. :( IIRC, time decay helped kill it and the stock not moving the direction I wanted to didn't help either.

If I were to make the same bearish bet again (not knowing I was wrong), I probably should've bought a put spread instead to limit my losses/reduce my cost and to help counteract the negative theta, a bit.

Last edited:
I think he meant Jan 2012.

A few minutes ago I phoned Schaeffer's Investment Research and induced commentator Elizabeth Harrow to quickly amend her article to read January 2012 as the date that TSLA was last at $23. Bernie Schaeffer was a regular guest of mine when I hosted a Chicago based TV financial news show during the nineties. I know that he strives for accuracy and insists on that from his team.

I don't have a good understanding of calls/puts/options, etc. So, as I hear over and over, stay away until you have a good understanding. It's OK. I'm in SCTY and AAPL (which I got in at the very bottom of it's dip - but am watching very closely), so my S is slowly but surely getting paid for still. Just want to get back into TSLA as I am long on them overall and am being patient for an acceptable entry point.