Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temperature touch targets with poor contrast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MY for nearly two years. And this problem drives me crazy. I keep hoping upgrades will fix it but instead foo-foo stuff just keeps being added --- like more toybox games and gimmicks. As examples: a Santa reindeer sleigh, a Mannheim Steamroller Light Show, even a fart bag gag... oh, how Elon.

The Issue: The "<" and ">" button targets are impossible for these senior eyes to see. The targets are too small, too thin, and are gray on a black background. Under some situations, the temperature setting in between the "<" ">" is hard to read.

After a bit a TMC searching, I've not seen this issue addressed.

My question: Is there a way to fix this myself? Or do I just wait till the Feds tell Tesla that their touchscreen is a distraction for safe driving?

On a more encompassing level, none of the screen programmers seem to care about usability and readability -- having to layer down multiply screens to find arrays of small font touch targets is not safe. If fact, the temperature "<" ">" buttons should be "^" and an upside down "^". The touchscreen programmers need an experienced graphic artists to assist in readability.

I pity Tesla owners who rent Hertz Teslas for their first Tesla experience.

Agree that they, and the UI generally, are poor. A big waste of a large screen when you end up with “buttons” smaller than those on smaller screens in other cars.

Have you tried swiping on the temperature display? That works better for me, albeit it’s not quite as accurate. Also, just using voice control and saying “I’m cold” works. All better than stabbing at those tiny icons as the car bounces all over the place.

OK. OK. I'll try voice commands. Sounds a good way to go.... safely.

My trick on trying to touch the screen on bumpy roads is stablize my hand by holding the edge of the screen and hope my thumb will reach the button. Just more proof that all the UI programmers live in California where bumpy pavement is rare. We already now they are 20-30 years old --- Squeezing 10 lbs of [info] into a 5-lb bag.

I did get a kick of finding a year-old thread complaining about a recent upgrade and claiming the UI guys had forgotten their auto roots. Hahah. What auto roots? Tesla's always been an electric car attached to an iPad. I do pine for a car with instrument cluster in front of my eyeballs like my 2014 MS.