Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporarily saw "Car need service" after Chademo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I post here, I already sent an e-mail to Tesla and they replied me asking for date and time but they never replied back after that. I think I'll have more help from you guys!

Here is the e-mail:
1- I got a “Car need Service” message temporarily when I tried my new ChaDeMo adapter. Here is what happened:
  • Parked the car and opened trunk and charging port.
  • Inserted the ChaDeMo adapter in the charging port.
  • Activated quick charge with my card.
  • Inserted ChaDeMo plug into adapter.
  • Pressed “Start” on the quick charger.
  • Quick charger did a test and I think it tried to start charging.
  • Then everything stopped.
  • I unplugged the ChadeMo and the adapter. I tried to insert it back, it was blocked.
  • I checked inside the car, all screens were black.
  • I entered the car and the screen turned back ON. I saw “Car is stopped” and I temporarily saw “Car need service” until I pressed the brake.
  • I tried again to charge the car and this time it worked
Does my car has an issue or it is a known occasional issue that I just need to try again ? Could it be because the electrical contact was not good enough ?

I tried Chademo 3 more times without issue. I'm just curious as to what happened.

Same thing happened to me at two CHAdeMO stations in a row, plus a Level 2 station after that! By the time I got someone from Tesla tech support on the line, the car was willing to draw a charge again. It hasn't happened again since that day almost 2 weeks ago. It felt like I was going to be stranded in Nova Scotia.

Hello, I post here, I already sent an e-mail to Tesla and they replied me asking for date and time but they never replied back after that. I think I'll have more help from you guys!

Here is the e-mail:

I tried Chademo 3 more times without issue. I'm just curious as to what happened.
did you call it in to the mothership and have them review the logs? if not I would advise doing so immediately. I once had a warning that came up for a second or two that necessitated a trip to the SvC for replacement of the 12 volt battery and connectors. if I didn't catch the warning and call it in for them to investigate the fault may have resulted in a breakdown at a very inopportune time.

@rypalmer, was it difficult driving around Nova Scotia and charging? Was going to drive there next week from Massachusetts but nervous to do so with my new S 60. We're the L2s sufficient? I don't have the ChaDemo adaptor.
You'd be well served with a CHAdeMO adaptor. I made it with my 70D from Charlottetown to Halifax without recharging, and recharged exclusively at the CHAdeMO downtown. You'll be severely limited if you must rely on destination charging but I'm sure it can be done.