TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Temporarily saw "Car need service" after Chademo

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kensiko, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Hello, I post here, I already sent an e-mail to Tesla and they replied me asking for date and time but they never replied back after that. I think I'll have more help from you guys!

Here is the e-mail:
    I tried Chademo 3 more times without issue. I'm just curious as to what happened.

2. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Same thing happened to me at two CHAdeMO stations in a row, plus a Level 2 station after that! By the time I got someone from Tesla tech support on the line, the car was willing to draw a charge again. It hasn't happened again since that day almost 2 weeks ago. It felt like I was going to be stranded in Nova Scotia.

3. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

OK, really odd. Did you try more than once on the same station ?

4. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Yes - many times at each station.

5. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

I've had this same thing happen to me at two different Supercharger stations while on a road trip across the country last month.

6. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

I suspect that's a bad contact somewhere. Because, with Chademo and Superchargers, there is no power components between the charger and the battery, except maybe a contactor. Other than that it's only electronic for communication.

7. kort677

kort677 Active Member

did you call it in to the mothership and have them review the logs? if not I would advise doing so immediately. I once had a warning that came up for a second or two that necessitated a trip to the SvC for replacement of the 12 volt battery and connectors. if I didn't catch the warning and call it in for them to investigate the fault may have resulted in a breakdown at a very inopportune time.

8. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Can't Tesla do it remotely or they really need to connect physically to the car ?

9. jlutzwpi

jlutzwpi Member

@rypalmer, was it difficult driving around Nova Scotia and charging? Was going to drive there next week from Massachusetts but nervous to do so with my new S 60. We're the L2s sufficient? I don't have the ChaDemo adaptor. Thanks.

10. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Get the Chademo Adapter if you plan to come in Canada, really. Quebec has about 70 Quick now I think, Ontario will have 230 by end of 2017 !

11. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

You'd be well served with a CHAdeMO adaptor. I made it with my 70D from Charlottetown to Halifax without recharging, and recharged exclusively at the CHAdeMO downtown. You'll be severely limited if you must rely on destination charging but I'm sure it can be done.