Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary cheap protection for bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a M3LR, and the price of PPF seems to be outrageous. $2K for bumper and $8K for whole car is ridiculous.

However, quite often I have to drive some dirt roads in California, e.g. in national forests where I frequently go.
Is there some kind of temporary thing I can clip onto the bumper to prevent rock chips? I don't care how it looks, I wouldn't have it on for most of the time, just when I enter a dirt road.

Thanks!

Anything you could "clip" or temporary put on would probably be put over dirt, or at least dirt would get under and rub as you drive, especially on dirty and rough roads. That would have the effect of sanding. I doubt you'll find anything. A good PPF is a great protection. I'm not sure you have the prices correct though, they seem outrageous. Maybe those include a wrap under to change color?
When I did mine 2 years ago here, it was like 700$ for minimum front protection, 2k$ for half (full front, lower doors, rocker etc) which I took, or 4k$ full. Those are CAD, typically prices in USD are lower. Granted it's two years ago but I doubt it would have doubled since.

EDIT: you could buy film and put it yourself, rough and ugly, before the drive and take it off right after. You would still need to thoroughly clean the car before the install. I suspect after a while it will start costing a bit...

Well, if you’re looking for something that can be removed and don’t care too much about aesthetics, then check out the product that this particular owner used…

Just got a M3LR, and the price of PPF seems to be outrageous. $2K for bumper and $8K for whole car is ridiculous.

However, quite often I have to drive some dirt roads in California, e.g. in national forests where I frequently go.
Is there some kind of temporary thing I can clip onto the bumper to prevent rock chips? I don't care how it looks, I wouldn't have it on for most of the time, just when I enter a dirt road.

Thanks!

I think this temporary PPF offered by Xpel called Tracwrap may be exactly what you are looking for. It is designed for people who want to apply some temporary protection before they go to the track for the day:

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Isn't there a temporary spray coating that can be put on, that you can later just peel off? Tracwrap sounds good, if it's not too pricey, but don't people who track their cars also use painter's tape or something like that? Painter's tape doesn't seem to provide much protection, but would be easy to peel off. I imagine a heavy packing tape on top of the painter's tape might also work well, easy to peel, but with a thicker level of protection.

That Tracwrap looks like good bug protection too, for roadtrips!

Hate to say it, but you really can’t beat the old style vinyl bra that simply clips onto your front bumper/hood.
Easy on… easy off. Or, wax on, wax off!! for you old schoolers out there! 🤣

Based on the OP’s description and intended use, the old school vinyl bra should fit the bill nicely.
Hey, they looked cool back in the day… so, why not again?! Everything is retro these days anyway!! 😉

Agreed. Hard to believe they were once so popular. Never personally had/used them on any of my vehicles when I was younger.

However, I do think with a good maintenance routine (which would involve regular removal, inspection and cleaning underneath the black vinyl bra), it is certainly possible to avoid any scratches to the clear coat or paint. And, any scuffs/scratches that do happen can easily be polished away with the right tools and know-how. Like with anything, a little maintenance goes a long way. Of course, the only thing that may be difficult to avoid/prevent is uneven fading of the paint after continuous/prolonged use.

Reactions: GtiMart