Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teo Takes Tesla To Task

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nowhere in the FAQs does it say that. Absolutely no place. That is YOUR interpretation. You state these things as fact and it is not factual. You are misleading people by saying that. Please stop.

Bonnie,

It is not like I'm making up this stuff. This quote is from this page. Scroll down to FAQ section to find the question.

A non-Tesla car is parked in a dedicated Supercharger stall, what should I do?
Many Supercharger sites are outfitted with ‘dedicated’ stalls (meant only for Tesla vehicles) and a few ‘enabled’ stalls (which allow for time-restricted general parking). Please be aware of stall signage. If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla at (877) 798-3752

As you can see the word 'dedicated' is mentioned twice and is wrapped in apostrophes to bring readers attention to that word. "If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla" means if the stall is not dedicated then don't notify Tesla.

Bonnie,

It is not like I'm making up this stuff. This quote is from this page. Scroll down to FAQ section to find the question.

As you can see the word 'dedicated' is mentioned twice and is wrapped in apostrophes to bring readers attention to that word. "If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla" means if the stall is not dedicated then don't notify Tesla.

Again, it doesn't say NOT to call Tesla. There are many times I have called Tesla and there is nothing anywhere on their website that directs me to do so. It is my judgment that has caused me to call them.

In this case, they have pointed out specific situations that you should call them. But there is NO mention of any time where you should NOT call them. Yet you are telling people that Tesla says not to call in those situations.

Please stop saying that. It is simply not true.

Bonnie,
In a business environment, especially when talking to your customers it is common to say things politely like Tesla did in that sentence. Of course they are not going to say "don't call us" but this is what they mean. Even the question itself specifically says dedicated. Hopefully somebody from Tesla will see the problem with that text and change it.

Come on bonnie, this is why the whole "fanboy" wrap exists. You are so caught up in the argument that YOUR making ridiculous statements. Here is the language that is on Tesla's site. It mentions "dedicated" stalls and "enabled" stalls, but it ONLY states to contact them if a "dedicated" stall is occupied. Any reasonable person can deduce that it implies don't contact them if its not dedicated. I have a problem with the fact they have any "enabled" stalls, they should all be "dedicated" when they are trying to push this is as something we have to pay for (by upgrading to an 85kWh or 60kWh + SC).

A non-Tesla car is parked in a dedicated Supercharger stall, what should I do?

Many Supercharger sites are outfitted with ‘dedicated’ stalls (meant only for Tesla vehicles) and a few ‘enabled’ stalls (which allow for time-restricted general parking). Please be aware of stall signage. If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla at (877) 798-3752

Wow. So I should never call them at any other time? People call them for blocked stalls all the time. You're kidding me. You think it's okay to say that the site states NOT to call them if it's not a dedicated stall, when it does not say that?

How do you think they learn where there are problems? People here in this thread have been saying they've been sharing that information with Tesla. Not one has said Tesla has said 'you're not supposed to call us in that case'. I'm not sure where you've gotten the notion that Tesla doesn't want to hear about it. (And for the record, I regularly alert folks at Tesla to problems I see showing up on the forum because they DO want to know about things.)

But I'm not going to argue because clearly anything I say on the topic is going through the filter of 'I paid for it and anything said differently is just coming from a fanboy/girl who is blind to reality'.

Peace.

- - - Updated - - -

Bonnie,
In a business environment, especially when talking to your customers it is common to say things politely like Tesla did in that sentence. Of course they are not going to say "don't call us" but this is what they mean. Even the question itself specifically says dedicated. Hopefully somebody from Tesla will see the problem with that text and change it.

Teo, while I appreciate the instruction about how a business environment works on your side of the pond, on this side of pond, it is common to use the word 'imply' when we are interpreting what we believe they are implying. Instead of saying 'They state not to call them in that case', we would say 'they imply not to call them'. That way it is clear to people that you are interpreting the words, rather than stating it as a fact.

Obviously it is different where you live.

it is common to use the word 'imply' when we are interpreting

Bonnie if it makes you happy we can agree on "imply". I didn't notice you were so sensitive when somebody criticizes something Tesla does. Honestly, I didn't mean to have an argument with you about this, although I much prefer having arguments with you instead the other two. I think you are doing an excellent job as a moderator and we are lucky to have you here and I would never call you a fangirl.

Just to put this in perspective:

1. The OP didn't get ICE'd. He saw someone who had apparently been ICE'd.
2. Nobody knows what the notes on the cars in Ellensburg said, or who wrote them.
3. Nobody on this thread has so far has been completely ICE'd at any supercharger, anywhere.

The ICE'ing of EV charging spots (not just Superchargers) has happened plenty of times over the years, but in my experience it is occurring less and less often. Locally here most EV owners took to leaving polite notes and that appears to have worked well. You want empathy and understanding from ICE drivers not antagonism and anger. "Name and shame" is not going to achieve that.

Tesla has to choose Supercharger spots carefully, not only do they need to find the ideal geography but they are also dealing with third-party site owners who may or may not properly understand the full implications and problems that come with it. Of course Tesla wants to know if there's a specific issue somewhere but we also have to acknowledge that the person on the other end of the Ownership line in California is powerless to do anything about a shared spot right in that minute.

The suggestion to 'bully' Tesla through the press is self-defeating, you're only likely to create more FUD to turn folks off EV's and to make finding Superchargers harder by discouraging property owners from getting involved in the first place.

Bonnie if it makes you happy we can agree on "imply".

Thank you - I just like to have it factual. If we work from the facts, then it's easier to hold a real conversation. :)

Just to put this in perspective:

1. The OP didn't get ICE'd. He saw someone who had apparently been ICE'd.
2. Nobody knows what the notes on the cars in Ellensburg said, or who wrote them.
3. Nobody on this thread has so far has been completely ICE'd at any supercharger, anywhere.

The ICE'ing of EV charging spots (not just Superchargers) has happened plenty of times over the years, but in my experience it is occurring less and less often. Locally here most EV owners took to leaving polite notes and that appears to have worked well. You want empathy and understanding from ICE drivers not antagonism and anger. "Name and shame" is not going to achieve that.

Tesla has to choose Supercharger spots carefully, not only do they need to find the ideal geography but they are also dealing with third-party site owners who may or may not properly understand the full implications and problems that come with it. Of course Tesla wants to know if there's a specific issue somewhere but we also have to acknowledge that the person on the other end of the Ownership line in California is powerless to do anything about a shared spot right in that minute.

The suggestion to 'bully' Tesla through the press is self-defeating, you're only likely to create more FUD to turn folks off EV's and to make finding Superchargers harder by discouraging property owners from getting involved in the first place.

Absolutely, 100% agree. Thank you.

probably someone suggested this already...but I'm lazy and won't check every post to find out.
But it would be cool if Tesla added one of those lift gates (like at railroad stops and toll gates) on each supercharger spot. The code to lift it would be programmed into every Tesla's Homelink...maybe all 8 bars would lift at once at a SC site, but still, it would be a way to deter people from using those spots and keeping them free for Tesla owners. It adds a layer of complexity and expense, but there may be enough of a need, esp. with the addition of Model X and eventually Gen III that volume of need will be such that some sort of control over ICEing will be necessary.

I don't want to be keyed in a parking lot because someone is mad about Teslas and EVs. I want to share the parking lots. I wish these spots were in more inconvenient places, honestly. I hate looking like I'm entitled, it just adds to the problem. And I want to work this problem out, not force a solution by embarrassing people and calling them out publicly. Because then I've only solved it for one place.

This.

Bonnie,

As was previously pointed out, ‘enabled’ stalls (for general public parking) are required at some locations in order to satisfy zoning requirements (i.e. a certain number of parking spaces for every 1,000 square feet of building space, or in the case of hotels and restaurants it's based on capacity.) In these situations, this is likely the only way Tesla can get local approval for a SC installation. Different zoning boards will look at it in different ways, but many will consider the dedicated supercharging spaces to be "removed from inventory."

One other thought: consider the fact that the average Model S owner charges 99+% of the time in their own garage at home. I have 21K miles on my Model S, and I have used a supercharger twice. No question about it, superchargers help sell Teslas, but to a non-owner they seem much more critical than they turn out to be.

That's possible but not probable.
1) The hotel said they don't care (check opening message)
2) The person said "Tesla wasn't helpful at all" (this is not a description of Tesla trying to help but not succeeding quickly enough)
3) The FAQ says don't contact Tesla if the stall is not dedicated. In Ellensburg none of the stalls are.

When I said I don't think they keep records I wasn't talking about a follow up compliant after you have the problem which will be far less. I was talking about calls to the phone line when you have the problem which will be more in number of calls. The FAQ page says don't call us if shared parking. This means Tesla doesn't want to collect data about ICE problems in stations like Ellensburg.

If somebody decides to call Tesla or the hotel to find out more, here are the phone numbers and a few possible questions to ask.

1) Does Tesla contact the host if somebody can't charge in Ellensburg?
2) Does Tesla have records of how many times people reported they couldn't charge in Ellensburg?
3) Does the hotel or Tesla know what time of day and what day of the week the stalls are more likely to be occupied?
4) Is the problem in Ellensburg getting worse?

------------------------

If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla at (877) 798-3752

------------------------

Holiday Inn Express Ellensburg
[email protected]
Hotel Front Desk
1-509-962 94 00
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Ellensburg - Ellensburg, Washington

Well I actually bothered to email Tesla about this and got a response at 11PM their time so hardly a company that doesn't care. They passed along the PDF I sent from Plug In America that discusses proper signage and paint to the Supercharger team to find out why the spots are marked the way they are.
Does England have zero EV issues?

When I said I don't think they keep records I wasn't talking about a follow up compliant after you have the problem which will be far less. I was talking about calls to the phone line when you have the problem which will be more in number of calls. The FAQ page says don't call us if shared parking. This means Tesla doesn't want to collect data about ICE problems in stations like Ellensburg.
No, it absolutely doesn't (see bonnie's post). And again, please don't ignore the point about contacting Tesla via email or phone afterwards (even if not on the dedicated supercharger line, which is "implied" to be used for towing). That is a ALWAYS valid option that every Tesla owner should use no matter what the website says about a particular issue (even if the website says the exact opposite of what you want, you can still complain via this method). Remember, everything written on the website can be changed and Tesla has had a long history of changing things according to customer complaints.

Tesla have even collected data about other Model S cars occupying the spaces (example is the Gilroy station where a few local owners charge daily and there weren't enough stalls) and made changes (installed more stalls to solve the problem), so I see no reason why Tesla would not be interested in collecting ICE'd data even in the case of shared spacing. That is your speculation after several layers of inference, but you seem to be saying it as fact rather than inference. Also if the signage is incorrect (which I believe was one of your points), the email route would be the proper channel to do it also, since you can't send attachments via the dedicated supercharger phone line anyways and the personnel answering likely can't handle something like a signage change request (probably a different department in the company). While if you do it via your general customer rep, they can direct your complaint to the right people.

Last edited:
One other thought: consider the fact that the average Model S owner charges 99+% of the time in their own garage at home. I have 21K miles on my Model S, and I have used a supercharger twice. No question about it, superchargers help sell Teslas, but to a non-owner they seem much more critical than they turn out to be.

Superchargers aren't meant to be your only source of power while traveling in-town where you live. They are meant to enable inter-city/state travel, when you need to extend passed the range of your battery. A fully functional and fast SC network that is enabling long-distance travel is what is going to help EV adoption and is VERY important to actual owners, just ask any of these guys who use them daily/weekly. This will reduce range anxiety more than anything, even if you have a 500 mile battery. There is always going to be a trip that is going to exceed your battery life. If Tesla isn't serious about building battery swap, they should be serious about building their SC network and ensuring its maximum availability. I am not saying they are not doing this, but I think they should aim towards having ALL 'dedicated' spots.

Wow. So I should never call them at any other time? People call them for blocked stalls all the time. You're kidding me. You think it's okay to say that the site states NOT to call them if it's not a dedicated stall, when it does not say that?

The thing I have most problems with is the extremism exhibited by bonnie and other Tesla die-hards/fanboys, whatever you want to call them. In the same breath that is chastising Teo and others that they shouldn't assume they know how the ins/outs of Tesla as a she offers her own opinion or perception. I'm curious how you KNOW that people call them for blocked stalls? Do you monitor their call center logs? Do you work there? That is YOUR opinion, just the same as someone else opinion of how they perceive Tesla to be run or ideals they follow.

Again bonnie, you are missing the point because you are being extremely "matter of fact". I am not sure what you do/did for a living, but I have worked in many large corporations, and these companies chose their language very carefully when communicating to customers, Tesla is a great company, but no different. Of course they are not going to say "DON'T" call Tesla if its not a 'dedicated' spot. That would be a very harsh interaction with a customer and could turn them off and give the perception they don't care. Instead, they offered advice WHEN to call Tesla for an ICE'ing problem. Again, any non-extremist with common sense can understand that they explained the difference of the two types of spots, and then gave the customer advise to call them if one of those types of spots was ICE'd. I think you should excuse yourself from these conversations if you can't stick to the topic, especially being a "moderator". You obviously feel very passionately about Tesla and how wonderful of a company they are and are happy to share your experience with the company with others. These forums are supposed to be a place about opinion and advice among users. I think the original point of this post is valid, ICE'ing could become a problem because of the way Tesla is rolling out their SC network. They are a great company, but they are not without wrong-doing. If you can't allow free conversation about a potential problem, because you are getting caught up in "HARD FACTS" then you are missing the point, and you are being very arrogant about it.

I respect your love for Tesla and EV adoption, but many of us by this car for a variety of reasons. I personally don't care that much about EV adoption. I think it would be good and benefit me, but I bought the Tesla Model S because it was a safe family sized car, that appealed to my interests in technology and new ideas, but was also capable of long-distance travel given the SC network. If the SC network is inaccessible to me because of how Tesla set it up, then I am pretty disappointed. I'm also dissapointed in other things Tesla has/has not done. So right there, it's a FACT that a Model S owner has concerns about waiting in line for a supercharger.

Fine to call me out, I freely admit to having had 3+ years of very positive experience with Tesla. That's based on real world experience, just like you are gaining. So please don't dismiss it, just because you don't happen to like it. I also have a great deal of time spent on these forums, hearing every complaint and accolade. I've spent a lot of time forwarding the complaints (and accolades) on to Tesla, to make sure people are heard. And they are. I watch it happen.

Have I always been happy? No. A few people here have seen my very strongly worded correspondence with Tesla regarding a specific situation. I was extremely angry. But it was between Tesla and me. Not between me, the public, and Tesla. (I believe the response from a couple of people was 'Holy crap, you just burned them bigtime. Whoa.') Did I make it public? Nope. There was no need to do so. They responded promptly, with thought and care. In business I've found that quiet negotiation has always worked better as the first step.

Sorry that that bothers you so much. I seem to have gotten under your skin a lot. Teo and I are good. It's okay to disagree without making it personal. He understands that. That's one of the things I like so much about this forum ... there are a lot of people willing to have an open discussion, all cards on the table, without taking it personally. It is, after all, just a forum.

If the SC network is inaccessible to me because of how Tesla set it up, then I am pretty disappointed. I'm also dissapointed in other things Tesla has/has not done. So right there, it's a FACT that a Model S owner has concerns about waiting in line for a supercharger.

Your concerns are easy to understand but you haven't had to wait in line at a Supercharger and very few folks ever have. The one Supercharger location where there was a problem has been expanded by Tesla.

I don't think it's fanboism or extremist to suggest that parking enforcement is not Tesla's responsibility. A lot of people worked hard here in FL to make parking on a charging space while unplugged a ticketable offense (now law since July last year), but it still takes time and education for that to sink in. I was heading for a charge spot (not a supercharger) recently when I saw an ICE parking enforcement vehicle pull into the only remaining spot, the officer was headed to a restaurant when I called him back and politely asked if he could park elsewhere so I could plug in; he complied and I thanked him but it shows that education is still needed. BTW, getting angry at the parking enforcement guy or writing to the local paper would probably not have positively motivated him.

Use Superchargers and give Tesla feedback, support the businesses around the Supercharger (and other charging places) and tell them you appreciate the chargers are there. Some of us have been following this strategy for a few years now and it really works.

Superchargers aren't meant to be your only source of power while traveling in-town where you live. They are meant to enable inter-city/state travel, when you need to extend passed the range of your battery. A fully functional and fast SC network that is enabling long-distance travel is what is going to help EV adoption and is VERY important to actual owners, just ask any of these guys who use them daily/weekly. This will reduce range anxiety more than anything, even if you have a 500 mile battery. There is always going to be a trip that is going to exceed your battery life. If Tesla isn't serious about building battery swap, they should be serious about building their SC network and ensuring its maximum availability. I am not saying they are not doing this, but I think they should aim towards having ALL 'dedicated' spots.

Tesla is in a tough spot at some supercharger locations because of zoning requirements that require a certain number of parking spaces per 1,000 square feet of retail space. Many zoning boards probably consider the "dedicated" Tesla parking spaces as being "removed from inventory." I'm sure if Tesla could, they would make all SC spaces "dedicated." But if it means only installing 3 SC spaces instead of 6, it's worth allowing a few "general parking" spaces among them—with signs of course.

They passed along the PDF I sent from Plug In America that discusses proper signage and paint to the Supercharger team to find out why the spots are marked the way they are.

Dsm,
I'm completely confused what you meant here partly because there was no link to the PDF. Do you mean a while ago you published a PDF on Plug In America about signage, then in the email to Tesla yesterday you mentioned that and Tesla wrote back saying they distributed your PDF to all employees? Do you have a link to the PDF? What was Tesla's response to your PDF?

Btw, I see that you are from Seattle. A while ago while I was researching Ellensburg and WA regulations I came across an organization called Seva. They campaigned for the WA regulation I mentioned in my first message in this topic. There was somebody called Jeff Finn from Seva and he also had published a PDF about signage at EV stations. Because you are from Seattle too I'm just wondering if you are connected to Seva or worked with Jeff.

- - - Updated - - -

The one Supercharger location where there was a problem has been expanded by Tesla.

So how about the OP? Are you calling the OP a liar too or are you suggesting because it was a problem he came across and not he experienced that makes the problem non-existent? I don't understand. As far as I know ICE problems in Ellensburg are not new. In the past I remember reading somebody who said 4/5 stalls were ICED. Now in this instance the OP says 5/5 were ICED.

So how about the OP? Are you calling the OP a liar too or are you suggesting because it was a problem he came across and not he experienced that makes the problem non-existent? I don't understand. As far as I know ICE problems in Ellensburg are not new. In the past I remember reading somebody who said 4/5 stalls were ICED. Now in this instance the OP says 5/5 were ICED.

No, I'm not calling theOP a liar; as you are well aware, I'm saying that Tesla took action when an ongoing problem was identified. Why are you trying to get folks riled up when Tesla has shown they take action? People park illegally all the time and Tesla could have 50 Supercharger spots at a given location and still find them ICE'd on any given occasion.

What is about this one report that causes you to want to inflate it to such a big issue?

Fine to call me out, I freely admit to having had 3+ years of very positive experience with Tesla. That's based on real world experience, just like you are gaining. So please don't dismiss it, just because you don't happen to like it. I also have a great deal of time spent on these forums, hearing every complaint and accolade. I've spent a lot of time forwarding the complaints (and accolades) on to Tesla, to make sure people are heard. And they are. I watch it happen.

Have I always been happy? No. A few people here have seen my very strongly worded correspondence with Tesla regarding a specific situation. I was extremely angry. But it was between Tesla and me. Not between me, the public, and Tesla. (I believe the response from a couple of people was 'Holy crap, you just burned them big-time. Whoa.') Did I make it public? Nope. There was no need to do so. They responded promptly, with thought and care. In business I've found that quiet negotiation has always worked better as the first step.

Sorry that that bothers you so much. I seem to have gotten under your skin a lot. Teo and I are good. It's okay to disagree without making it personal. He understands that. That's one of the things I like so much about this forum ... there are a lot of people willing to have an open discussion, all cards on the table, without taking it personally. It is, after all, just a forum.

I am only bothered by you taking it so personal! I don't care about an argument between you and teo, but I do care about the original intent of this forum post. A lot of people jumped on teo because of the approach he offered, while ignoring the potential of a real issue, which was the point of my original post to this thread. As my grandfather always says, "The distance between the brain and the heart is very short". Too often on these forums, opinions are dismissed and overlooked because of technicalities of where that person lives or what that person has said in the past, or the phrasing of what they said Tesla says or doesn't say.

I appreciate all the insight into the positive experiences, but disagree that you should keep negative ones between you and Tesla. Tesla has had a problem (in my opinion) about being consistent. So, I think you are doing the user community (existing and potential) a big disservice by not making these things public, because I am sure someone in your same situation could be going through the same thing but not getting the same level of engagement you are. A very good case in point is the delivery process. Some users of this forum report very active and informative DS interactions, while others report very little if any at all. It's important as Tesla grows and more and more users adopt the Model S that we all receive the same level of support for the same issues. I think one of the first examples of this was with the Parcel Shelf becoming included in the base package. Everyone got a consistent "no" when asking if they could get it retro'd in. However, if someone did get it for free after the fact, it should be known. One thing I like about Tesla is we all pay the same amount for the same thing. I hate how in the traditional stealership model someone can pay more or less depending on their negotiation skills vs. the salespersons. These cars are expensive, for whatever reason you are buying them, and I for one would like as much information as possible, positive or negative, to be able to make my decision. Regardless if Tesla was very engaged and responding immediately to your dissatisfaction, the fact there is potential for dissatisfaction and having to mitigate it with Tesla might be enough to detract from buying. The issue I have is not being fair and balanced. You are saying you want to have discussions with all cards on the table, but you don't in fact have all those cards on the table - only the ones you want to make public. You have made a conscious decision to "censor" the information available, which can be construed as protecting the image of a Tesla, i.e. having a bias.

But let's be clear. I love my Model S, I am happy with what I paid, what I got, but I am disappointed in a few things. For instance, I had every single sales person and my DS during delivery tell me that my door handles would unlock and present by touching them with the fob in my pocket, even without the tech package. This was the basis of forgoing the tech package, which now I am SOL. I know there is a big community here that believes the tech package is essential, but I overlooked the opinions here because of ironically consistent information I received from Tesla employees. But, on the flip side, I also overlooked upgrading to an 85kWh battery despite the passion exhibited by this forum and I couldn't be happier. I get 213 miles on a range charge, have traveled 2000 miles in 2.5 weeks of ownership and only once had range anxiety, but that was only because I wanted to push the car to see if it would make it (which it did!).

Dsm,
I'm completely confused what you meant here partly because there was no link to the PDF. Do you mean a while ago you published a PDF on Plug In America about signage, then in the email to Tesla yesterday you mentioned that and Tesla wrote back saying they distributed your PDF to all employees? Do you have a link to the PDF? What was Tesla's response to your PDF?

Btw, I see that you are from Seattle. A while ago while I was researching Ellensburg and WA regulations I came across an organization called Seva. They campaigned for the WA regulation I mentioned in my first message in this topic. There was somebody called Jeff Finn from Seva and he also had published a PDF about signage at EV stations. Because you are from Seattle too I'm just wondering if you are connected to Seva or worked with Jeff.

- - - Updated - - -

Ill try and find the link but it was a PDF that talked about the parking laws and what the paint and signs should look like. They have me email address for supercharger team and also forwarded it to them.

I've met Jeff. SEVA does a lot of great work.

No one is saying the problem is non existent. It hasn't yet been shown to be a major or even occasional problem. Has it happened? Sure but people were usually able to still charge. If Tesla can improve things they should. That simple. Easier to work with them and educate them about new laws or regulations in the state than state calling the media to complain for no good reason.