Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesco [VW sponsored Pod Point] charging for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd bump this rather than creating a new thread.

As of 01/11/2022 Tesco will now be charging for their previously free Podpoint 7/22kW chargers.

It's been a long time coming to be honest, and seemed to be inevitable for a while. Quite a few times I've seen abuses of the facilities, with people being dropped off or picked up, swapping cars in the process. Others have reported DPD vans, taxis, etc using them as their personal chargers.

Still reasonably competitive given the going rate currently, just not a free lunch anymore.

That looks very fair pricing, cheaper than peak home for some charge rates. Even better if it means that we get more chance of getting a convenient charge when we are away from home. Add a little extra time to get a coffee in too will help replace the juice lost when inadvertently leaving sentry on...

Thought I'd bump this rather than creating a new thread.

As of 01/11/2022 Tesco will now be charging for their previously free Podpoint 7/22kW chargers.

It's been a long time coming to be honest, and seemed to be inevitable for a while. Quite a few times I've seen abuses of the facilities, with people being dropped off or picked up, swapping cars in the process. Others have reported DPD vans, taxis, etc using them as their personal chargers.

Still reasonably competitive given the going rate currently, just not a free lunch anymore.
I'm waiting to see the look on the faces of the people who have been hammering the free chargers when they find out it's no longer free.

DPD vans at Tesco's. grrrrr
Found out why these vans are taking the pee. The drivers have to pay for the charge and not DPD! So they all go plug in a freebie charger and get a taxi home (group share) and pick up the next day. They also swap over to their mate DPD driver when they have finished, even when there's a que so jumping this que. Seen a few heated discussions.

Kind of glad they are charging now and reasonable rates too.

It was becoming a DPD van park by the chargers at our Tesco.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Gonna be pretty funny if they have credit on their Podpoint account, because they'll get drained without warning if they leave their car all day like they do normally. Karma?
🤞

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221021_175310.jpg
    Screenshot_20221021_175310.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Funny
Reactions: Durzel
Even if as it’s been said, as those rates it’s still subsidised, the lowest is 28p, which is still more than 3.5x my Intelligent Octopus rate at home. So no more charge for me at Tesco.

I would have rather taken a « 1 hour free charging for £100 spent » with a code to be entered in store or something similar.

This kills the last incentive I had for shopping in person and spending time in store rather than doing it online. Oh well…

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Even if as it’s been said, as those rates it’s still subsidised, the lowest is 28p, which is still more than 3.5x my Intelligent Octopus rate at home. So no more charge for me at Tesco.

I would have rather taken a « 1 hour free charging for £100 spent » with a code to be entered in store or something similar.

This kills the last incentive I had for shopping in person and spending time in store rather than doing it online. Oh well…
That frees it up for those of us stuck on rural rates as high as 36p/kWh with no chance of smart meters or deals...

Plenty of EV owners in west London or travelling away without the ability to usefully charge at home who I am sure will be delighted that there will probably be less contention at the charge points now that people with cheap off peak charging will be sticking with that.

Well if you’re in a rural area in Wales I’m guessing I wasn’t really hogging your local Tesco podpoint before while doing my weekly shop in west London then…
..maybe you just enjoy driving..:D
One of the things I do miss about London (not many) is easy access to plantain and breadfruit. My nearest reliable source is 90 miles. Oh and I can get the below mail order but delivery isn't cheap - for the best bacon you've ever had:
Spišská Smoked Bacon @ 500g

Last edited:
Reactions: WllXM
I use public charging only and have never used my local Tesco free PodPoint.

Its 7kw and a 3 hour limit, so I'd need to park it there for the full 3 hours, 3 days on the trot just to fully charge. I can't be arsed with that sort of hassle, even though I only live a 10 min walk away.

Yet the bays are pretty much always full whenever I go there. Obviously people do abuse them and just get dropped off/picked up, but I've never actually seen anyone doing that.

To me they have never been part of a public charging necessity but were just an additional perk for shopping at their store.
No one expects you to stay for the full 3 hours, and that would be abuse.

But if you stay for 45mins / an hour while doing your weekly shop, you can still put back 5 to 7kW in your battery (that’s less than £2 with their new prices), it was a nice little free addition, pays for the round trip to the store and more, and made me feel good about shopping there (much more than cumulating points).

I really do think it’s a shame they’re not promoting this as a loyalty benefit (by validating a shopping ticket for instance) to weed the freeloaders / DPD vans out instead.