Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla account shows insurance policy for previous owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

I purchased my 2020 Model Y about two months ago (April). I wanted to shop around insurance rates and remembered that Tesla offered their own coverage in CA.
However when I checked my account, it still displayed the previous owner's policy which expired on June 15. My guess is that this is some sort of lag and will get removed eventually. Anyone else experience this?

I plan to call them during business hours tomorrow to see what to do about removing it.

Thanks!

Update - it turns out that Tesla insurance does not have visibility into when cars are sold. The previous owners will need to cancel their insurance and remove the car from their tesla account. In addition to that, their insurance purchase was automatically renewed so they were actually charged for the next six months of coverage, effective to December 15th.

All of this is rather strange to be honest, but I guess that's how it goes. The scariest part is that I can actually see personally identifiable information (name, address, email - no phone number or billing information thankfully). I'm no identity thief, but this seems like a pretty severe oversight from a security perspective. Hopefully the Tesla insurance agent can get them to switch their account over/release the car.

I've experienced a couple of major privacy issues related to pre-owned Teslas. In 2019 I bought a pre-owned Model 3 and when I transferred it into my account it exposed the previous owner's insurance info (including her name, address, DOB, and policy number) as well as her purchase order for when it was new. In addition to that, she was an older lady who likely didn't understand the technology, so she hadn't done a full reset on the car, which left her address programmed in as well as her home's garage door programmed to the homelink system (that's more on her than Tesla... though you'd think something in the software could wipe settings like that in the event of an ownership transfer).

When I sold that car later, it appeared in my vehicle history section on my account and ended up revealing the 3rd owner's insurance information as well as a scan of his driver's license.

Eventually by April of 2021 the Vehicle History section of my account has now completely disappeared, but I definitely know a lot about who I got the car from and who it ended up going to after me.

Providing an update here:

I finally successfully purchased Tesla insurance for my MYLR today (nearly 6 months to the day of this posting). I will say that it took quite a few contacts to finally resolve the issue, but from what I gather they were able to contact the previous owners and get them to cancel the coverage.

The Good:
  • Transparency (re: issue): Tesla reps were totally transparent about the issue and their limitations in resolving the underlying problem. Zero beating around the bush
The Bad:
  • Security: PII (personally identifiable information) was completely open to whoever took ownership of the car
    • Name
    • Address
    • Driving Record Points
  • Follow-up: Tesla reps were great about taking accountability for the issue, but did not call back or send any emails about progress. I just had to periodically sign-in to check and see if I could finally purchase a service from them.

Overall, this should've been easier but I'm happy that everything was resolved and I'm now saving about $90 a month on insurance. hooray!