Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla adds a trip planner to their website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hehe, the name of the new service is a bit contradicting, "Go anywhere", while it literally takes me no-where ... ;)

upload_2018-1-5_1-7-0.png

Yeah, this thing is fairly useless, but at least they are doing something. If there happens to be a clear, completed Supercharger path between points, then life is good. Otherwise you are going 500 miles out of your way.

The one thing I am encouraged by on this map is Tesla's acknowledgement of the concept of a "waypoint". Maybe a sign of good things to come?:cool:

Reactions: kavyboy
I find this statement interesting:

Routing, charge times and mileage are based on the vehicle and battery of choice and assumes that trips begin with a full charge. Assumptions are also made for factors like weather, climate control and driving style. Real world results may vary.
Since they never ask you how you drive nor what time you are leaving, I wonder how they know this stuff?

Assume is making an Ass out of u and me.;)

Yes, this is clearly a sales only tool. Only current models available to purchase (75s & 100s) are listed.

I see the Model 3 is listed when you select your vehicle.

Seems slow processing. Have a 75D and typed in Gilroy, CA Supercharger for one location and Atascadero, CA Supercharger for another and it took a bit but switch both out to the address at those locations. Then I went and added Buellton, CA Supercharger as the final end point and it didn't switch out Buellton to it's address and only gave me directions from Gilroy to Atascadero saying I didn't need to supercharge to get there from Gilroy. Ignored the Buellton 2nd leg. We made this trip during the summer and the mileage looked fine and yes we got there without needing to charge anywhere else. I guess you need to use the mileage as a point of reference for how much range to put in your battery since the app doesn't ask your SOC to begin with. Definitely could use more work but it's a start. I like planning things out on the computer at home ahead of time instead of while in the car, and when we were planning our trip south I used Google maps and put in the town name and Supercharger like above into their direction system and it did a quick job of laying out the route. Recognized the supercharger street location without specifying it so was impressed.

Last edited:
I've long wondered if Tesla had gone into enough depth to know that just making a stop takes time. When I planned a route from CA to NY, it had me make a 10 min SuperCharger stop as my first - then 30 minute stops. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that I'd actually be better off time-wise if I skipped the first charging stop just made a 40 minute SuperCharger stop at the second stop. The time lost to the slower charge after 30 minutes would be less than the time it takes to slow down, get off the freeway, find the supercharger and drive to it, find an empty stall, park and hook-up, then unhook, drive to the freeway entrance, get back on the freeway, then accelerate back to speed.

Thanks!

I'll hopefully be taking my first Tesla road trip this summer for my nephew's graduation party (he ships off to the Army soon after). This isn't the route I was expecting, thought it'd be up through Oklahoma. The 27+ hours is more than I was expecting, hopefully the Forrest City or Blytheville supercharger will be open by then as not having to backtrack through Memphis should save a bit of time. That'll also decrease once I figure out Destination Charging as we usually make the trip to my brother's in 2 or 3 days - 2 if we leave in the morning(stopping for the night just past Joplin, Mo), 3 if we leave when I get off work (stopping just north of Dallas, then in Des Moines).

View attachment 271193

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 9.57.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 9.57.46 AM.png
    654.3 KB · Views: 50