Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advice Appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I picked up my Tesla 3 last week. As I mentioned in my first post, the hand over was very strange given the current situation with Covid-19, etc.

When I drove home (3km), I took a proper look around the car, and I was very surprised with what I noticed... for supposedly a brand new car.

While I understand and can accept any of the below (01 to 12) points, if they occurred individually, I find the multitude of all of the below completely unacceptable. This is clearly a pre-owned or used car.

A - When ordering the car, I made it clear that I wanted a black interior and with the wooden trim, however the first thing I noticed when walking over to the car outside the showroom was that it was white inside. I managed to call them back outside and they said I ordered white inside. When I ordered the car 2 months ago, I specced the car I wanted in the showroom with them, and they said they already had that spec arriving in a few weeks, and that I could have that car. I have 2 emails from the sales guys since I made the order, and I've noticed that both have different interiors listed... one white and the other email is listed as black with the wooden trim.

Moving on... when I got home I noticed the following (please see image for each below).

01 - No floor mats? I have posted this on a Tesla forum, and it seems that the car is supposed to come with floor mats.

02 - Door sill scratches

03 - Leather scuffs

04 - Clear usage and wear creases / marks on the passenger seat

05 - Rear right seat scuffs, dirt marks

06 - Hand prints and dirt all over the dashboard

07 - Rear left seat scuffs

08 - Steering wheel dirt

09 - Steering wheel marks

10 - Rear panel paint chips

11 - Paint marks

12 - Rubbish and dirt down the side of the driver’s seat

I emailed the above list and the photos onto the two sales guys, and they still have not replied to me. I am truly shocked at A - the state of the car, B - that they have not got in touch with me. They replied to each email within seconds, before I got the car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to handle this, and plan to get my solicitor involved tomorrow.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

[
06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

A.png

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
Does Tesla offer the same return policy in Ireland as they do in the US? 7 days or 1000 miles here. If they do, just take it back and tell them to deliver another car. When it arrives, take your time looking it over. When I got mine in December, it took me well over one hour to do my prepurchase inspection. Don't let them rush you.

OP,

As someone asked, whats the odometer say?

One other thing I will remind you is that, its likely that people got in the car to move it around (likely the source of some of that dirt), and that teslas are mass market cars that do NOT have the "fit and finish" of the other cars that you show in your pic in the other thread (no where close). Of course, they are not anywhere near the price of those cars either.

Its not a used car though, its a new tesla. Get it cleaned up and move on with life (as you said in your other thread, quite accurately, about your other cars, "its just a car"), or, return it. There is no guarentee that any tesla you get will be much different.

They do not spend a bunch of time detailing the cars like what happens at porsche / range rover dealerships.

Thanks all, it is much appreciated.

As I said, all of them are fine if they individually occurred, but the car just doesn't seem new. How could a brand new car have so many scuffs and marks... and the fact that it is not the spec I order makes it even more dubious.

The odometer reads 16km, however I'm sure they can change that.

As I said, all of them are fine if they individually occurred, but the car just doesn't seem new. How could a brand new car have so many scuffs and marks... and the fact that it is not the spec I order makes it even more dubious.

The odometer reads 16km, however I'm sure they can change that.

It's a new car if it only has 16km on it, and it's completely illegal to "roll back" mileage. It also had to travel from California on a ship to you in Dublin so more than a handful of people have sat in it to move it around and those people have to move quickly to move the cars. Take the paint issues to Tesla for fixing. But the seat belt scuff marks will probably rub off with a cloth BUT that's the problem with the white seats. I didn't full read your delivery story but if you don't want the car take it back.

As others have said, Tesla is not Rolls Royce or Bentley... you paid a lot of money sure but you didn't pay THAT much money, this is probaly the same as any BMW/Merc/Ford/Whomever delivery level. You're only looking at every inch/cm because everyone has talked about how crappy the build quality was in the beginning. Yes there are some scuffs but don't dwell on them and if you think you will, return the car.

Thank you.

I was only informed today, about the poor finishing.

I am very surprised that they have not bothered to reply to my email or return my call.

I don't want to ruin the experience, as believe it or not... I am not one to 'nit pick'... I just found the state of the car very strange... and even more so that they haven't bothered to contact me back.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thank you.

I was only informed today, about the poor finishing.

I am very surprised that they have not bothered to reply to my email or return my call.

I don't want to ruin the experience, as believe it or not... I am not one to 'nit pick'... I just found the state of the car very strange... and even more so that they haven't bothered to contact me back.

Use the application to setup a service visit to fix the shipping damage. Please do so immediately.

The email is only to useful to timestamp the shipping damage. Tesla will fix the damage, but to avoid getting into a pissing contest, it is important to immediately document scrapes and dents, so there's no doubt that the car was delivered with that. Don't expect quick responses to emails or phone or texts.

The Tesla website has a chat capability. You could try that, but the best methodology is to set a service visit with the mobile phone application and attach pictures of shipping damage.

If it had been me I would not have accepted the car with the wrong color interior. I only had two dealbreakers, the interior color and AWD. When I arrived for my pickup appointment, 100 miles away on the other side of the Sierra Nevada mountains they couldn't find my car. A manager, after about 20 minutes of looking, figured out the VIN had not even been manufactured yet, it would be at least two more weeks and potentially a month. It was end of quarter and they really wanted to deliver something and the only thing available with a white interior was a loaded P3 that was $11K additional and 100 miles away. It was used a that location as a demonstrator so I was offered a discount because of the mileage. But I had to come back the next day. Inconvenient and a bit annoying? Yes. But they made it worth my while, to me, and I have been happy with my car every day since. It is not perfect but it is AWESOME!

Reactions: afadeev
They stopped including floor mats a while ago.

It looks like you ended up with a white on white car - personally I'd love to have one of those, I think they're the best color combos you can get the model 3 in. If that had been available when I got my car I'd have it. But, if that's not what you want, and can definitely prove that it's not what you ordered, return the car, and wait forever for the correct car.

If you can live with it, as stated above, make an appointment with the app NOW to get the little issues fixed.

The question is, did you end up paying for a white interior? If not, you win.

As for the dust and dirt and such - many “new” cars have some level of that kind of stuff. The difference is that a dealership puts the car through PDI - Pre-Delivery Inspection - where they clean and prep the car. Tesla isn’t so picky about doing that right. Good service centers do a fine job; others do not.

Sorry yours didn’t do a good job of it. The only “real” issue I see here is the paint - ask for that to be fixed.

oo7T
Suggest you take the floor mats and screen protector ,its necessary for new car
just like mine , i love them all
Hi,

I picked up my Tesla 3 last week. As I mentioned in my first post, the hand over was very strange given the current situation with Covid-19, etc.

When I drove home (3km), I took a proper look around the car, and I was very surprised with what I noticed... for supposedly a brand new car.

While I understand and can accept any of the below (01 to 12) points, if they occurred individually, I find the multitude of all of the below completely unacceptable. This is clearly a pre-owned or used car.

A - When ordering the car, I made it clear that I wanted a black interior and with the wooden trim, however the first thing I noticed when walking over to the car outside the showroom was that it was white inside. I managed to call them back outside and they said I ordered white inside. When I ordered the car 2 months ago, I specced the car I wanted in the showroom with them, and they said they already had that spec arriving in a few weeks, and that I could have that car. I have 2 emails from the sales guys since I made the order, and I've noticed that both have different interiors listed... one white and the other email is listed as black with the wooden trim.

Moving on... when I got home I noticed the following (please see image for each below).

01 - No floor mats? I have posted this on a Tesla forum, and it seems that the car is supposed to come with floor mats.

02 - Door sill scratches

03 - Leather scuffs

04 - Clear usage and wear creases / marks on the passenger seat

05 - Rear right seat scuffs, dirt marks

06 - Hand prints and dirt all over the dashboard

07 - Rear left seat scuffs

08 - Steering wheel dirt

09 - Steering wheel marks

10 - Rear panel paint chips

11 - Paint marks

12 - Rubbish and dirt down the side of the driver’s seat

I emailed the above list and the photos onto the two sales guys, and they still have not replied to me. I am truly shocked at A - the state of the car, B - that they have not got in touch with me. They replied to each email within seconds, before I got the car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to handle this, and plan to get my solicitor involved tomorrow.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

[
06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

A.png
u

Thanks again all.

4 days have passed, and not as much as a call or reply to my email from the 2 guys I have been dealing with all along. The lack of courtesy is very disappointing.

Due to current circumstances we are all facing at the moment... I don't want to be a d*ck about it, but I have just paid them a large sum for the car.

Thank you for all of the replies, i'll let you know how it progresses.

So why did you accept delivery of a car you did not order?
That had issues you should have noticed during the delivery inspection?

Mats are not included in the US cars, likely the same for Euro spec.
The rest is just your typical Tesla delivery negligence.

As others have said, Tesla is not Rolls Royce or Bentley... you paid a lot of money sure but you didn't pay THAT much money

Kinda true - you got what you paid for, and quality service and customer care are just not part of Tesla's budget or DNA.
Cool tech and performance are definitely included, cool service isn't.
Sorry, you should have known that. If you didn't, or know now.

The only two real questions that are remaining: do you have 7-day return policy in Ireland, and are you going to use it?

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Thanks again all.

4 days have passed, and not as much as a call or reply to my email from the 2 guys I have been dealing with all along. The lack of courtesy is very disappointing.

Due to current circumstances we are all facing at the moment... I don't want to be a d*ck about it, but I have just paid them a large sum for the car.

Thank you for all of the replies, i'll let you know how it progresses.

Once again, schedule a service visit through the application to fix the shipping damage.

Why post here to ask advice, when you don't take the advice??????

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev