Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla aims to unveil ‘Solar Roof’, next gen Powerwall on October 28

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certain cities in the US hate solar arrays on roofs. The fire dept and the homeowners associations get irritated.
Sadly, that is true. People resist change, even obviously positive change. It is always a struggle. But we have to move past cosmetic objections (homeowners associations) and fire departments have to figure out how to adapt and deal with new technology on homes. We can't simply ban rooftop solar because because of those objections.

Sadly, that is true. People resist change, even obviously positive change. It is always a struggle. But we have to move past cosmetic objections (homeowners associations) and fire departments have to figure out how to adapt and deal with new technology on homes. We can't simply ban rooftop solar because because of those objections.

In our area it is true comedy. Sprinkers, firedoors, firewindows, tile roofs, brush clearing are legal requirements. The fire dept doesn't see house fires. Not 1 that I can remember in 10 years since the laws were started.

But they still want about 50% of the roof reserved for walking paths. Crazy. We don't have an HOA, though, but I have heard of communities that conspire with the city building inspectors to try and halt EV installations that are visible.

Certain cities in the US hate solar arrays on roofs. The fire dept and the homeowners associations get irritated.

There was a company making flexible PV roofing. It went BK as far as I know. I have one of the strips for testing. It's like 18" wide by 20 feet long, you can roll it up, walk on it, etc.

Elon Musk brings a lot of clout (youtube + industry + media attention) to these presentations - so even if the product is no better than the competition (ie. could read Powerwall v1) then it'll garner a lot of sales and interest and hopefully kick-start the increase of solar. The US has about 1% domestic solar installation. Australia is at about 25%. Germany at about 15%. The UK about 3%. The last 2 did so well due to something called a FIT (Feed In Tariff) which guaranteed payments for ALL generated electricity as long as they were certified and grid connected and in the UK for sure - even if you used the electricity yourself! I have one and it earns me circa £500 a year off 4kw/3500kwH.

The value I see in the Tesla integrated roof is instead of paying for a new roof, and then solar panels on top, you only pay a premium for solar panels. I have read 5 million roofs a year are replaced in the US. It doesn't take much thought to realize saving people the cost of a new roof would work financially.

My understanding is the reason no one has done this before is the panels require the airflow around them, because the otherwise the heat makes them absorb less energy. If Tesla has an answer for this, the financial part is easy. They have a huge solar panel plant in Buffalo, NY to meet demand.

I'm looking forward to the announcement, hoping a financial compelling solar product is going to be unveiled. If not this year, it will be very soon.

Today, Tesla sent out invitations for its upcoming event on Friday. According to CEO Elon Musk’s tweets from last month, the company plans to unveil its ‘solar roof’ product, next generation Powerwall, and a new Tesla charger at the event.

The invite confirmed that the event will take place at Universal Studios in Los Angeles and it will be live-streamed starting at 7pm local PT (UTC-7) October 28.

Just as we reported earlier today on a potential glimpse of Tesla’s solar roof or other products to be unveiled at the event, Tesla included a picture of a roof on the invitation (pictured above) which is sure to spark more speculation about the ‘solar roof’ product.

Tesla also confirmed that the event will take place outdoor, which kind of makes sense if you want to unveil a roof.

<snip>
Full article at:
Tesla’s ‘solar roof’ event will be live-streamed from Universal Studios on Friday, more hints from the invite

I have high hopes for this. But I'm curious how Tesla will market the products. If they will try to sell directly to consumers and contract roofers and electricians, or if they will try to sell directly to the roofers and let them market the product to consumers. I feel it would be better to just sell to the roofers. But it's going to be a challenge to integrate electricians into the mix.

I'm sure the product will be well made and look good, but the logistics are going to be interesting.