Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App 4.6.0 - Where is Phone Key menu item?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Tonight my husband wanted to add a new iPhone to our Model 3 so he could use it to access the car and have Walk Away locking. Currently using Tesla mobile App 4.6.0 and the current Model 3 Manual and Videos (available under App’s Service section) show the app having a “Phone Key” in the phone’s menu items (like Controls, Climate…) so you can add a new phone. But there isn’t a “Phone Key” menu item on the App and so no “Phone Key -> Start” to step through and we can’t see a way to add his phone to the authenticated phone list.

Are others experiencing this issue as well?Quite an annoying problem and not sure how to resolve.

Tonight my husband wanted to add a new iPhone to our Model 3 so he could use it to access the car and have Walk Away locking. Currently using Tesla mobile App 4.6.0 and the current Model 3 Manual and Videos (available under App’s Service section) show the app having a “Phone Key” in the phone’s menu items (like Controls, Climate…) so you can add a new phone. But there isn’t a “Phone Key” menu item on the App and so no “Phone Key -> Start” to step through and we can’t see a way to add his phone to the authenticated phone list.

Are others experiencing this issue as well?Quite an annoying problem and not sure how to resolve.

The User Interface might have changed. Now you need to push on:

"Controls"

then

"Start"

I don't have an iphone and don't have any phone key thing on my android app. I do know that if you want to add a phone to the car you need to do that in the car and have a key card present that authorizes a phone be added to operate the car. It is under locks in the car menu. Maybe I am completely misunderstanding what you are saying.

Where is this "locks" screen everyone talks about? I want to add my iPhone as a key but can't find option anywhere.
This Tesla is driving me nuts. Car doesn't recognize phone. Can't program without keycards that I didn't get with the car?

Where is this "locks" screen everyone talks about? I want to add my iPhone as a key but can't find option anywhere.
This Tesla is driving me nuts. Car doesn't recognize phone. Can't program without keycards that I didn't get with the car?
The best thing for you on this is to check the manual as there are specific instructions on how to pair your phone to the car to be able to use it as a key. However, you will need the key card, which you obviously have as otherwise, how do you get in your car?

Can't program without keycards that I didn't get with the car?
Thats correct, you need an original keycard to program anything. All teslas sold from tesla come with a keycard. Even if buying from a used car dealership, you should have a keycard.

Go back to where you bought it and ask them for the keycard (unless it was a salvage vehicle, in which case the above does not apply to you and you will need to contact tesla to get a keycard and ask them how to program it to your vehicle).

Thats correct, you need an original keycard to program anything. All teslas sold from tesla come with a keycard. Even if buying from a used car dealership, you should have a keycard.

Go back to where you bought it and ask them for the keycard (unless it was a salvage vehicle, in which case the above does not apply to you and you will need to contact tesla to get a keycard and ask them how to program it to your vehicle).
Thank you. I should have mentioned Ed mine is an older 2017. Don’t think those had cards back then? I can’t seem to set my phone up as a key. Is that even possible with my 2017 X ?
Thanks.

The best thing for you on this is to check the manual as there are specific instructions on how to pair your phone to the car to be able to use it as a key. However, you will need the key card, which you obviously have as otherwise, how do you get in your car?
I have been using a key FOB. Will get the second key tomorrow. It’s been driving me nuts since it reverts to my wife’s position setting and I can’t even get in as it’s too crunched for me.

with my 2017 X ?

This is the model 3 subforum you are posting in, so everything discussed in this thread is relative to the model 3. The model X of your year did not have a keycard (and also has a vertical screen, and an instrument cluster we do not have in model 3, as well as some likely differences in the media control unit (MCU) etc.

I suggest taking a look in the model X subforum, as they likely could help you much better with your 2017 model X.

• Funny
Reactions: Kevy Baby