Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App - Controls / Start - What does this do???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use it to start my Model S when I dont have my key (mostly when I am moving the car around the driveway). You have to be signed into the car account on the app to use it, I dont trust it 100% though. One time, I used it to move my car into the street so I could shift the cars around. It must have been in a cellular dead zone though so the car would not take the command. I had to run inside and get my FOB.

Has anyone tried using 'Start' from the Tesla mobile app?

If so, what does it do? Can someone else get into the car and drive away with no card or programmed phone?
Yes. It allows you to drive the car without needing a fob, key card or phone as key.

Be aware that if you drive the car to a place without network access, you might not be able to start the car again if you don't have your fob, key card or phone as key available.

Reactions: Treetop235
Yes. It allows you to drive the car without needing a fob, key card or phone as key.

Be aware that if you drive the car to a place without network access, you might not be able to start the car again if you don't have your fob, key card or phone as key available.

So I would assume one the car is parked, it would require another command for someone to drive it again.
This would be useful in an emergency for example traveling and you needed someone to move your car for you.

So I would assume one the car is parked, it would require another command for someone to drive it again.
This would be useful in an emergency for example traveling and you needed someone to move your car for you.
Yes, exactly. You can drive it but once you put it in Park, it would require another authorization to be sent.

If you lost your keys or locked your phone in your car, you could call someone else (from another phone) and ask them to unlock and start your car remotely, assuming the car has a network signal. Alternatively, you could install the Tesla app on another phone and use that to open and start the car.