Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Forgets Phone Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently switched over to a Pixel 4 and twice now the Tesla App has 'forgotten' the 'Phone Key'.

It happens without warning, when it occurs I notice I can't open the car door, I check the app and see that under 'Phone Key' its showing the message to setup the phone as a key. The rest of the app works and is logged in, it just somehow 'forgets' the phone key. I end up using the card to open the door and the car still has my phone registered as a key. At this point I have no choice but to re-setup the phone as a key again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I just wanted to narrow down whether its some regression on the latest Tesla Android App or if its isolated to the Pixel 4. My old Pixel 3 didn't have this issue, but it was also probably on an older Tesla App.

Since I don't carry a wallet anymore, just using Google pay on my Android for all payments, I have had to put the keycard in the back of my case. This seems to be causing issues both with Google Pay and with the Phone connecting to the car. They might be interfering with each other.
So I am investigating a rfid ring instead. My wife commented that she now knows whom I love, since I have never had a wedding ring.
Maybe a rfid implant would be better???

I've only had the P3+ for 3 days, but so far my Pixel 4 has been happy. I haven't lost the key yet.
I did put the Card in my wallet for the first time today. It does seem to confuse the car and want the card to be presented even though I had my phone. As much as I go "ugh" when I see those RFID blocking card holders, I might get one just for the Tesla card. Just want to carry the card for that 1 in a million chance that there is an issue with the phone.

So I recently switched over to a Pixel 4 and twice now the Tesla App has 'forgotten' the 'Phone Key'.

It happens without warning, when it occurs I notice I can't open the car door, I check the app and see that under 'Phone Key' its showing the message to setup the phone as a key. The rest of the app works and is logged in, it just somehow 'forgets' the phone key. I end up using the card to open the door and the car still has my phone registered as a key. At this point I have no choice but to re-setup the phone as a key again.

Has anyone else experienced this? I just wanted to narrow down whether its some regression on the latest Tesla Android App or if its isolated to the Pixel 4. My old Pixel 3 didn't have this issue, but it was also probably on an older Tesla App.

Check-in your settings if you are on the December patch, some Bluetooth issues were fixed with the phone on that patch.
No idea why Google has such problems with Bluetooth, the same thing was fixed for the Pixel 3 in the previous years December patch!

Unfortunately my issue is a little different, the Bluetooth is solid and has worked well. The issue is that Tesla App forgets the phone key and I have to re-setup the phone key but everything else in the app is still signed in and fine.

Seems like I'm the only one experiencing this =(

Guess I will keep monitoring to see if I can find out why it's happening.

Unfortunately my issue is a little different, the Bluetooth is solid and has worked well. The issue is that Tesla App forgets the phone key and I have to re-setup the phone key but everything else in the app is still signed in and fine.

Seems like I'm the only one experiencing this =(

Guess I will keep monitoring to see if I can find out why it's happening.
Any new info on this? My 2020 Model Y has exactly the same issue. Happens about 3 times a year. However, this last time, the Tesla app is unable to set up the phone key again. It says that there's a failure to "find" the Tesla and suggests moving closer... when I'm actually sitting in the car.

Any new info on this? My 2020 Model Y has exactly the same issue. Happens about 3 times a year. However, this last time, the Tesla app is unable to set up the phone key again. It says that there's a failure to "find" the Tesla and suggests moving closer... when I'm actually sitting in the car.
The issue just went away for me after a while, I don’t know what the solution was.