Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app not connecting after idle period

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like there are some other people on here with the same or similar issues, i figured i'd post here rather than one of those threads since I've found a work around that corrects it, at least in my case.

i have a 2022 MYP thats about a month old and right away i noticed an issue connecting to the car after its been idle for any length of time. the app would basically stall out connecting to the car, sometimes for a short period but sometimes it would never return a connection. the Bluetooth connection is rock solid and if i'm close enough to unlock the car it usually loads pretty quick.

i have a background in IT so i went about troubleshooting and i found that if i disconnected from wifi and used my phones 4g/5g suddenly the connection was 80% more reliable and when that failed, simply reconnecting to the wifi would then allow it to connect. I later figured out that it wasn't jsut being on the mobile network but it was first making the attempt on wifi and then switching networks. testing this theory, i've never had to do more then that, disconnect from wifi, connect to mobile network and then reconnect to wifi (or vice versa if i start on a mobile network), at one point in that process it will connect 100% of the time and since i do it right off the bat if it doesn't connect quickly i achieve the connection in under 10 sec usually.

the only theory i can come up with is that the first signal to the car (me opening the app) actually wakes the car up but fails to establish a synchronous connection with the sender but also somehow blacklists that sender (probably not blacklist, probably a failed handshake and resulting hang but obv could be anything) and then once i'm registered on a new network i look like a new sender to the car/server and it allows the connection. interestingly, once connected i can reconnect to the first network and it will maintain the connection just fine.

the only thing i can't fully test is if its an android / samsung thing. i have samsung fold 3 so not old or anything but i only really have access to other samsung's in the house, i did test it a couple times on some friends iphones but obv that was a limited duration test and could be meaningless but the results seemed the same.

if anyone has any insight on this i'd love to get to the root cause and possible figure a more hassle free workaround lol

Same issue with 3 different Android phones... The issue is specifically with the login. If on WiFi, the login times out. When I turn off the WiFi, the login succeeds. Repeatable MANY times a day! Once the login is complete, WiFi works fine.

A VPN can interfere with accessing the Tesla servers from the app, so if you’re using one, try disabling it and see if that helps. Regardless of your phone’s connectivity, the car needs to have decent cellular coverage (from AT&T in the US) to access it via the app, WiFi isn’t enough.

Seems like there are some other people on here with the same or similar issues, i figured i'd post here rather than one of those threads since I've found a work around that corrects it, at least in my case.

i have a 2022 MYP thats about a month old and right away i noticed an issue connecting to the car after its been idle for any length of time. the app would basically stall out connecting to the car, sometimes for a short period but sometimes it would never return a connection. the Bluetooth connection is rock solid and if i'm close enough to unlock the car it usually loads pretty quick.

i have a background in IT so i went about troubleshooting and i found that if i disconnected from wifi and used my phones 4g/5g suddenly the connection was 80% more reliable and when that failed, simply reconnecting to the wifi would then allow it to connect. I later figured out that it wasn't jsut being on the mobile network but it was first making the attempt on wifi and then switching networks. testing this theory, i've never had to do more then that, disconnect from wifi, connect to mobile network and then reconnect to wifi (or vice versa if i start on a mobile network), at one point in that process it will connect 100% of the time and since i do it right off the bat if it doesn't connect quickly i achieve the connection in under 10 sec usually.

the only theory i can come up with is that the first signal to the car (me opening the app) actually wakes the car up but fails to establish a synchronous connection with the sender but also somehow blacklists that sender (probably not blacklist, probably a failed handshake and resulting hang but obv could be anything) and then once i'm registered on a new network i look like a new sender to the car/server and it allows the connection. interestingly, once connected i can reconnect to the first network and it will maintain the connection just fine.

the only thing i can't fully test is if its an android / samsung thing. i have samsung fold 3 so not old or anything but i only really have access to other samsung's in the house, i did test it a couple times on some friends iphones but obv that was a limited duration test and could be meaningless but the results seemed the same.

if anyone has any insight on this i'd love to get to the root cause and possible figure a more hassle free workaround lol
I have read on other threads that those with Android have something called battery optimization.

Try turning off battery optimization for the Tesla App.
Others with different issues say that this helps.

I can't say if it does or not as I'm IOS and don't know Android at all.

I have read on other threads that those with Android have something called battery optimization.

Try turning off battery optimization for the Tesla App.
Others with different issues say that this helps.

I can't say if it does or not as I'm IOS and don't know Android at all.
thanks for the tip that can indeed cause problems with apps unfortunately i have already disabled that

A VPN can interfere with accessing the Tesla servers from the app, so if you’re using one, try disabling it and see if that helps. Regardless of your phone’s connectivity, the car needs to have decent cellular coverage (from AT&T in the US) to access it via the app, WiFi isn’t enough.
low cell signal was actually one of my first thoughts, but the issue seems to occur regardless of location, i dont technically have access to an AT&T phone to test it but i am able to stream Netflix in my driveway just fine so it can't be that bad haha. plus if i'm plugged in AND charging (once charging is complete the issue recurs) the issue never occurs (which leads me back to an issue with waking up but ofc idk)

I am having the same issue, 2020 MY and iPhone12. Oddly enough, this only just started happening for me, typically the phone has been able to connect very quickly. With the latest round of updates I received (both app update and car firmware update) the app no longer registers when it is connected to the car. I can actually use the app to control the car, and the Bluetooth connection works to open the doors, but the connection almost always reads “[spinning circle] Last seen X hours ago”. I’ve restarted both the vehicle and my phone, that did not help. I’ve tried switching off/on Wi-Fi (on the phone), but that did not help. Not using a VPN, so that’s not my issue. Car is within range of good Wi-Fi. Not sure what else to try, but (not sure why) that little spinning circle annoys the heck outta me…

Firmware: 2022.12.3.7.5
App Version: 4.9.2-1087
Phone Version: iOS 15.5

Last edited:
Reactions: IndyGopher
In case anyone is reading this, latest update (2022.16.X) solved this issue, and the app is back to working (in this aspect) as it was previously. Whole host of other issues came with the new version, but one issue at a time I guess.
I'm on all of the latest updates and have had the same problem as you twice in the past week. I don't understand... rebooting with the steering wheel button fixes it but problem is I don't notice the issue until I'm away from my car. Wanted to turn on the air during the 100 degree heat this week and couldn't

Have you had the issue since?

I'm on all of the latest updates and have had the same problem as you twice in the past week. I don't understand... rebooting with the steering wheel button fixes it but problem is I don't notice the issue until I'm away from my car. Wanted to turn on the air during the 100 degree heat this week and couldn't

Have you had the issue since?
Yes, the same issue persisted on occasion. I was also having issues connecting to available LTE and Wi-Fi (again. occasionally). I had the S/C look at the car and apparently a connectivity board failed and was subsequently replaced. Car seems to connect faster now, although admittedly it does still exhibit the same symptoms sporadically. The radio/Wi-Fi etc. does work better now. I'm not convinced that is the issue though.

Yes, the same issue persisted on occasion. I was also having issues connecting to available LTE and Wi-Fi (again. occasionally). I had the S/C look at the car and apparently a connectivity board failed and was subsequently replaced. Car seems to connect faster now, although admittedly it does still exhibit the same symptoms sporadically. The radio/Wi-Fi etc. does work better now. I'm not convinced that is the issue though.
I don't have any issues with speed or LTE with spotify or anything like that. Literally the only issue I have is the car not connecting to the server.

Spoke to a tech and he said they need to inspect the car at a SC, and that there is going to be a 200$ charge if they take stuff apart and don't find an issue. The ****????

Yep! This is the 4th phone with same issue. Android versions 9-12.
If it's the 4th phone with the same issue you don't think the issue is the car?

I still believe it's the app. Several others reported the problem soon after an update late last year or early this year; I can't remember exactly when...
No, because it doesn't work on third party apps either which has nothing to do with the main Tesla app. They connect directly to Tesla servers, which connects to the car. At least in my example, the car is not communicating with Tesla. Service is going to replace a bunch of antennas and the computer I believe

My '22 M3LR has been doing the same thing for a couple weeks now. I used to be able to be able to get around it with the switching between WiFi and cell service on my iPhone, but not anymore. I have scheduled a service appointment for next week. Crossing my fingers that they will solve it. The remote climate control is one of my favorite features of the car!