Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app won't stay open in the background, so phone key isn't working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have an LG G5 and it worked perfectly, the app was always open in the background and the phone key always unlocked the door automatically. I just upgraded to a Huawei Mate 10 Pro and now the app won't stay open, I have to re-open it every time I want to get into the car. Any suggestions?

I used to have an LG G5 and it worked perfectly, the app was always open in the background and the phone key always unlocked the door automatically. I just upgraded to a Huawei Mate 10 Pro and now the app won't stay open, I have to re-open it every time I want to get into the car. Any suggestions?
There's a couple things you can try:
What version of android does your phone run?

I have the pixel 2 XL so I am on the latest android 9.

You can find the app in your system settings under apps, Then go to battery usage. Make sure the app is allowed to use the battery in the background.

If this isn't enough you can try these other things.

1) I have read that allowing the tesla app to "Modify System Settings" under Advanced on my phone, can help resolve issues.
2) Finally Turn off battery optimization, Under Battery, (this will reduce battery life, possibly significantly, but if your phone isn't handling battery usage for this app properly it can make things work). Might be worth a shot to diagnose the issue.

I have also found that if my phone is on "battery saver" I will have to turn it on and wait a few seconds before trying the handle again. I believe it shuts down background apps when on battery saver, so it can cause issues (but I use it anyways when my phone gets down to 35%).

Hope this helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
This may not apply to your phone, i have an ios device. But on iphones yes, the key will work if you leave the app running in the background but there’s no need. In the phone settings one just has to toggle on background app refressh and at that point the phone key always works regardless if the app’s open or not

My phone (Galaxy S5 on Android 6.0.1) goes through phases every couple weeks. When in its "phase", like it is now, the phone key never works to turn the car on, even if it does open the door. I have to pull the key card out of my pocket, which is a pain, because Tesla didn't build the Android app properly.

• Disagree
My phone (Galaxy S5 on Android 6.0.1) goes through phases every couple weeks. When in its "phase", like it is now, the phone key never works to turn the car on, even if it does open the door. I have to pull the key card out of my pocket, which is a pain, because Tesla didn't build the Android app properly.
Have you verified the settings as I suggested above? Are you sure it's tesla and not Samsung's battery management customizations to andoid?

This may not apply to your phone, i have an ios device. But on iphones yes, the key will work if you leave the app running in the background but there’s no need. In the phone settings one just has to toggle on background app refressh and at that point the phone key always works regardless if the app’s open or not
Hmmmmm. On my iPhone X, having background refresh on doesn't seem to help. 90% of the time if I walk up to the car with my phone in my pocket, I press the door handle and it is still locked. Then I fumble for my phone and have to wake it up, not unlock it, or open the app, but at least have the screen pop on for the doors to unlock.

If the phone worked like the FOB based passive Model S door/locks, I'd love it. But now, if I don't want to be embarrassed showing the car, I always have my phone active.

I'd say this, and not having auto opening/closing trunk are my two most missed features. First world problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Hmmmmm. On my iPhone X, having background refresh on doesn't seem to help. 90% of the time if I walk up to the car with my phone in my pocket, I press the door handle and it is still locked. Then I fumble for my phone and have to wake it up, not unlock it, or open the app, but at least have the screen pop on for the doors to unlock.

If the phone worked like the FOB based passive Model S door/locks, I'd love it. But now, if I don't want to be embarrassed showing the car, I always have my phone active.

I'd say this, and not having auto opening/closing trunk are my two most missed features. First world problems.

That’s interesting, no issues here. Same with my wife’s phone. One iphone x, one iphone 7. Are you maybe in low power mode? That shuts down background app refresh, otherwise the only time i had that problem my tesla app needed updating.

That’s interesting, no issues here. Same with my wife’s phone. One iphone x, one iphone 7. Are you maybe in low power mode? That shuts down background app refresh, otherwise the only time i had that problem my tesla app needed updating.
Nope. I only run low power on the phone when I drop under 10%. I have reset etc. My wife iPhone 6s, same, kids (are you kidding, they won't get access until they are 25!). So, I have no idea.

The trunk is the same. Walk up press button, and nothing. Take phone out, wake up screen and it works.

There's a couple things you can try:
What version of android does your phone run?

I have the pixel 2 XL so I am on the latest android 9.

You can find the app in your system settings under apps, Then go to battery usage. Make sure the app is allowed to use the battery in the background.

If this isn't enough you can try these other things.

1) I have read that allowing the tesla app to "Modify System Settings" under Advanced on my phone, can help resolve issues.
2) Finally Turn off battery optimization, Under Battery, (this will reduce battery life, possibly significantly, but if your phone isn't handling battery usage for this app properly it can make things work). Might be worth a shot to diagnose the issue.

I have also found that if my phone is on "battery saver" I will have to turn it on and wait a few seconds before trying the handle again. I believe it shuts down background apps when on battery saver, so it can cause issues (but I use it anyways when my phone gets down to 35%).

Hope this helps!

This may have worked! Under battery setting was a Launch option, and it was set to automatic, I changed to Manual and turned on Runin background, hopefully this works, thanks!

This may have worked! Under battery setting was a Launch option, and it was set to automatic, I changed to Manual and turned on Runin background, hopefully this works, thanks!
Keep us updated :)

FWIW, My vanilla android 9 pixel 2 XL does not have a manual option, so that is likely something samsung added if you are also on android 9. Mine just has "restrict" and "allow" options.

Edit: "Close to vanilla" android pixel 2xl (since even google does not use pure android anymore due to it's cameras and maybe other tweaks)

Last edited: