Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla as a getaway car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been theory crafting to what would be an ideal getaway car and have come to the conclusion that a tesla sport would be one of the most viable choices. The reasons that have made me decide on this car are the following:

Pros

1. Sound - Its electric motor makes substantially less noise than a combustion type vehicle, this is crucial in keeping a low profile, especially at night if the option of outrunning isn't available you can literally slip into the shadows with some clever deception.

2. Size - It is one of the smallest sized electric cars available, although many other electric cars are small the tesla rides low to the ground making it even more ideal. A smaller vehicle is harder to spot generally and has the option of driving under otherwise impassable obstacles.

3. Performance - The tesla outperforms many combustion cars, especially with its acceleration which is very important for ramming obstacles in a short distance and making quick escapes from a stop. The fact that it has such performance while being so quiet is a superb combination.

4. Convertible - Having the option of entering your vehicle without opening any doors can be crucial if you cannot make any sound entering your vehicle. You have more entering / exiting options in general with a convertible and are also able to throw devices to discourage pursuers from continuing to chase you.

Cons

1. Steering - I'm not sure on this one but I would assume that power steering would be more beneficial since it would reduce your workload under high stress conditions, but on the other hand no power steering could be more responsive if you were attempting to escape / chase high priority targets.

2. Miles - According to what I've read a tesla gets around 220 miles per charge but after reading around the forums it seemed like quite a bit less. Regardless a combustion vehicle can generally get a superior amount of mileage out of a full tank than the tesla can with a full charge.

Further Questions

1. Modifications - With the tesla being relatively new, how easy is it to modify this car? Under gunfire you would obviously need armor plating and bullet resistant glass, run flat tires, stronger lighter rims, caltrop dispeners, smoke screens and floodlights. Most of these are general modifications of course but are things such as front / rear bumper guards for ramming objects available?

2. Runtime - Is it possible to extend the runtime of the tesla by aftermarket batteries and / or switching out batteries for fresh runs WHILE driving? Maybe having a compact generator that constantly feeds the batteries is possible which could give you a serious mileage increase?

3. Handling - After reading and watching some reviews of the tesla I've come to see that it doesn't take turns too well with its off centered heavy battery pack as it sits more to the rear of the car. Is this in fact a serious handling issue and if so are their ways to remedy this, perhaps by way of counter weights or modifications of some sort?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on this subject!

I'd have to include at least one other negative -- "it's a TESLA!". When you drive a Tesla, everyone notices you and remembers where you went. Best to escape in a 5year old grey Camry and just blend into traffic. With a Tesla, you will NEVER blend in.

Another negative would be top speed. If you want to play "transporter", best do it in something that doesn't top out at 120mph.

How long till the roadster shows up as a getaway car in some movie / TV show? I give the over/under at 10 months.

dan.

I'd have to include at least one other negative -- "it's a TESLA!". When you drive a Tesla, everyone notices you and remembers where you went. Best to escape in a 5year old grey Camry and just blend into traffic. With a Tesla, you will NEVER blend in.

Another negative would be top speed. If you want to play "transporter", best do it in something that doesn't top out at 120mph.

How long till the roadster shows up as a getaway car in some movie / TV show? I give the over/under at 10 months.

dan.

I forgot to mention that the car driven will primarily be taken out at night, in that case if you had say a black tesla it would seem to be very hard to see being its so small. Also I'm not sure that the majority of the public would be able to identify a debadged tesla, especially in a dark color, law enforcement would most likely have a hard time as well, most likely labeling it as a lotus. But yes it would be hard to blend in during the day time in a tesla haha.

I wasn't aware of the 120 top speed, is this limited by its governor and if so can it be modified to allow you to reach beyond this speed? Maybe their are aftermarket modification that will allow this?

Last edited:
Pro 1 is also a Con, as people will likely get in your way if they don't know you're speeding their way.

Regardless, I somehow feel like an accomplice now, so I'll hush.

To be honest people can only hear you approaching them if you have an aftermarket exhaust or an extremely powerful engine which tend to be sports cars or larger utility vehicles. The benefits of having a quiet car would far outweigh what a loud car could do for you, especially at night.

It doesn't make sense to risk damage to something more expensive than the loot it transport.

Since this a movie-plot scheme that's probably not a consideration.

They may have thoroughly trashed at least one Aston Martin in Quantum of Solace, after all.

It doesn't make sense to risk damage to something more expensive than the loot it transport.

Since this a movie-plot scheme that's probably not a consideration.

They may have thoroughly trashed at least one Aston Martin in Quantum of Solace, after all.

This is considering that money isn't an issue also this is a real world functional scheme.