Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Does anyone know if or will Telsa use the "Tesla logo" side markers in the final design?
*I also noticed that the cut outs for the door handles are missing. What stage the NAIAS "engineering" model pulled out of the "Alpha" build process?
*Why did Tesla change the wheels and not keep the Mercedes wheels from the rolling concepts?
*Why did Tesla choose an air suspension as a posed to shocks and springs? And will that be available on the up models or base models?

V.P. Rawlinson mentions in the video the alpha model on display had been pulled from a fleet of alpha builds and had been "cosmetically enhanced" for show purposes. I take those comments to mean such things as door handle cutouts, charging door cutouts, etc were eliminated on this perticular model to put it's best face on for the public.

Is it safe to assume that there will be no more Model S details reveled at this show?

Just found this article by Car & Driver. My jaw dropped when I read C&D is reporting the 300 mile range will be accomplished by adding a 2nd battery pack to be placed in the front trunk area. I am hoping the reporters misunderstood the Tesla folks. Some other details about the S in the article and some great photos.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/11q1/2012_tesla_model_s_electric_sedan-auto_shows

Just found this article by Car & Driver. My jaw dropped when I read C&D is reporting the 300 mile range will be accomplished by adding a 2nd battery pack to be placed in the front trunk area. I am hoping the reporters misunderstood the Tesla folks. Some other details about the S in the article and some great photos.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/11q1/2012_tesla_model_s_electric_sedan-auto_shows
Yeah, my guess would be that that is an error. At the LA launch it was suggested that the front trunk volume could be used to house a second motor for an AWD option (perhaps the source of the misunderstanding).

Also they had been saying for a long time that the 300 mile range version was supposed to use the same number and size of cells as the 230 mile range version, but with a more advanced (energy dense) chemistry.

It might be advantageous if the battery were augmented with a smaller, portable pack inside the front cargo compartment. A small pack that might supply ~ 15 kWh would add to the 160/230/300 mile range when necessary. A port would be required in the compartment.

Does anybody know what the number on the screen next to the speakers platform is supposed to show? And I don't think I have seen those Model S video that shows on the screen in the background ...

I don't think thats a good idea. No frame windows are prone to fail in snowy and icy conditions because they freeze. I know several BMW coupe drivers with just that problem.

The windows on my Roadster are frameless and the wind noise on the freeway is crazy and water leaks are a concern. I'd prefer frames for the glass, even though it doesn't look as good.

The windows on my Roadster are frameless and the wind noise on the freeway is crazy and water leaks are a concern. I'd prefer frames for the glass, even though it doesn't look as good.

The windows on my Mustang are frameless and there's virtually no wind noise, and I've never seen a water leak. I think it's possible to do it right.

Note that Ford achieved this by making it so whenever you open the door, if the window is up, it drops a little bit to allow the door to open. Then when you close the door, the window goes back up a little bit. This allows for the window to go into the roof kind of. Obviously you can't do this with a detachable roof, but with a permanent roof like the Model S (or the Mustang), you definitely can.

I'm sure all of those "noise, vibration, & harshness" guys that Tesla has would have thought of this long ago.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I live in Boston and I've never had my window get frozen shut, so that's not an issue.

Note that Ford achieved this by making it so whenever you open the door, if the window is up, it drops a little bit to allow the door to open. Then when you close the door, the window goes back up a little bit. This allows for the window to go into the roof kind of. Obviously you can't do this with a detachable roof, but with a permanent roof like the Model S (or the Mustang), you definitely can.
+1 My Corvette was the same. This is also common on other high-end sedans (BMWs, etc).

For about 2-3 months of the year my windows are frozen shut or rather there is so much ice I don't dare using the power windows for fear of the ice killing the mechanism. On my old Civic the mechanism is also crap, as I've already got 2 windows that don't open since the mechanism rusts shut. I've changed one of them already... So I'd rather have the frames yes, or at least make sure they've got a door-opening system that does not require the window to open. Just yesterday I couldn't open the passenger door until the car got warm.

Cobos