Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla attacks heating up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think once Jaguar, Porsche and VW start rolling out their electric cars Tesla won't stand a chance.

Learn to count. Specifically, count production volumes. The combined planned volume of Jaguar, Porsche, and VW in 2020 or 2022 will make a small dent in the ICE car market in their price bracket, but not enough to affect Tesla sales.

One company owns the gas station.

Nobody is taking their Porsche or Jag cross country and running an extension cord for 8 hours of 20% charge.

Fallacy thais those behind the 8 ball magically are in front of it without effort.

And moreover, this *sugar* hasn’t even hit the market yet despite the capital differences.

Dillusion.

Next.

There's over 16,000 regular EV charging stations across the country. Of that number 2,000 are Chademo DC quick charging stations. I really doubt anyone would need an extension cord.

I think once Jaguar, Porsche and VW start rolling out their electric cars Tesla won't stand a chance. The main reason they have done so well is that their customer base is relatively small and they didn't have competition in this area. If the M3's have as many issues as many owners of the MS and MX have had they won't be able to keep up with the repair costs. Tesla has been cut some major slack by it's buyers because they were a new company and pretty exclusive. Once people have a choice other than Tesla I feel they will lose quite a bit of business. Telsa fans can argue this as much as they want but just watch and see.

Learn to count. Specifically, count production volumes. The combined planned volume of Jaguar, Porsche, and VW in 2020 or 2022 will make a small dent in the ICE car market in their price bracket, but not enough to affect Tesla sales.

I agree with @neroden. The things that people like Motley Fool in this piece yesterday (These Cars Will Challenge Tesla in the Next 2 Years) seem to miss include:
  1. As @neroden points out, the planned production volumes of these cars place them near compliance car levels (20-30K per year), meaning they won't take much if any sales away from Tesla, especially as the EV market is growing at a high rate;
  2. Because these ICE makers don't want to make their bread-and-butter ICE cars look obsolete, like Jaguar with the I-Pace they will market them by comparing to Tesla, not competitors' (or heaven forbid their own) ICE models;
  3. In doing so, they will introduce EVs (and Tesla) to a broader segment of car owners and shoppers - including people Tesla currently doesn't reach;
  4. These people, if convinced to consider EVs, will likely look at Tesla as well, and some will wind up buying Teslas either because they recognize their advantages or because of limited production and availability of the Jag/Porsche/VW EVs - or simply because they were turned off by their dealer salespeople trying to redirect them to an ICE or hybrid instead.
So in fact, the introduction of these cars is likely to help validate and grow the EV market, and generate more Tesla sales growth - at least until the ICE makers are able to produce EVs in significant volume, at which point they will be directly challenging their own ICE businesses.

Last edited: