Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The retrofit appointment for my AP2.0/MCU1 Model S still has not yet been cancelled. Today I got the typical “here’s a reminder about your appointment and we’ll let you know if anything changes” text/email. There’s still plenty of time for them to say “sorry, can’t do it” but I’m at least surprised it hasn’t been cancelled yet.

I very sincerely doubt I’ll end up being the first (test?) dummy for my specific configuration, but we’ll see I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and NHK X
Is that because of possibly requiring an MCU change over ?

If so - tesla’s Hard cost on swapping the MCU on MCU1 HW2 cars can’t be insurmountable.

Or alternatively - isn’t the screen the same on both the older and current MCU’s in terms of resolution - and could t they just swap the chip / electronics behind the display to make it be essentially an MCU2?
I agree they have to have planned for this... I cannot imagine they would sell all those FSD packages without a known upgrade path, would they?

Have an appointment for this coming Tuesday, with HW3 retrofit as the sole reason. They haven’t cancelled yet which they normally do a week out here in Texas. We shall see.

@electronblue This would seem to disprove your theory that Tesla is already following the plan in the message I posted. Here is a 2017 Model X owner in Texas getting the upgrade when Tesla has not finished the west coast upgrades yet like they said they would. This would suggest I am right and the message refers to future mass upgrade, not current upgrades. And he is a 2017 Model X owner so this is one older model car getting the upgrade before the rest of us.

My late '18 X100D was in the SLC shop getting the orange screen issue fixed last week. Was hoping I would be flagged for my HW3 retrofit while it was there but alas no. When I picked it up I asked about the rollout and the guy helping me said he thinks they might have done 1 so far, but didn't know for sure. He did say he knew they weren't doing them en-mass yet (at least at that location) and obviously didn't know when the broader roll out would start.

He did confirm that if your vehicle is flagged for the upgrade, they don't email you immediately to have it done. For the moment (and he mentioned this could change at any time) they just log you are OK for the update, and if you happen to need service they would do it at the same time. Again they aren't really even doing them yet at that location so all his details were fuzzy.

Eventually he thought most of them would be done by mobile service once they have the process dialed in.

@electronblue This would seem to disprove your theory that Tesla is already following the plan in the message I posted. Here is a 2017 Model X owner in Texas getting the upgrade when Tesla has not finished the west coast upgrades yet like they said they would. This would suggest I am right and the message refers to future mass upgrade, not current upgrades. And he is a 2017 Model X owner so this is one older model car getting the upgrade before the rest of us.

That seems consistent with what we've been hearing.
Specifically Tesla upgrading HW2.5 in a 2017 vehicle to HW3 is not really news anymore.

The big news would be either HW2 vehicles starting to be upgraded and/or 2018 Model 3.

while I would caveat that they could still cancel and nothing is proven my car physically has the new HW3 upgrade :)

Reactions: diplomat33

First of all it has not happened yet.

But more imporantly we know Tesla started with HW2.5 MCU2. Eventually they will of course update HW2.5 MCU1 too.

I’m just saying they are not doing anything here to prioritize old cars as you claim. The way in which they batch the cars so far has had nothing to do with that and I don’t see anything in the message you mention that changes this.

Now, if they start upgrading 2016 AP2 cars en masse and halt everyone elses retrofits, that would be different. I just don’t see anything that supports your assertion that Tesla is trying to prioritize old cars.

They simply are not. They started with the latest and greatest — and easiest.

My point is: Tesla is seemingly just trying to find a convenient and doable way to handle the retrofits. I don’t see any other type of prioritizing going on here.

I mean the biggest proof is, they did not go to any lengths to start with AP2, even though that would have been a limited-number pilot group and the oldest in the fleet. On the contrary, they went for the latest and easiest.

I guess that is the difference - I am also seeing the orange traffic cones under HW2.5. I hope it goes well for those unresolved. It is nice to get a bone occasionally because I did not get any performance increase or one pedal driving due to the fact that I purchased my MS one week before Raven production began...
Are you sure you don't already have AP3? I thought the traffic cones would only show up for AP3 hardware.

Is that because of possibly requiring an MCU change over ?
We don't know yet. Some think the MCU1 might need to be upgraded to MCU2. Others say only the AP hardware would need to be upgraded.

That seems consistent with what we've been hearing.
Specifically Tesla upgrading HW2.5 in a 2017 vehicle to HW3 is not really news anymore.

The big news would be either HW2 vehicles starting to be upgraded and/or 2018 Model 3.
Actually, no 2017 cars have been upgraded to AP3 so that would be news. So far, only S & X with AP2.5 and MCU2 (built since March 2018) have been upgraded.

The retrofit appointment for my AP2.0/MCU1 Model S still has not yet been cancelled. Today I got the typical “here’s a reminder about your appointment and we’ll let you know if anything changes” text/email. There’s still plenty of time for them to say “sorry, can’t do it” but I’m at least surprised it hasn’t been cancelled yet.

I very sincerely doubt I’ll end up being the first (test?) dummy for my specific configuration, but we’ll see I suppose.

And now it’s been cancelled. Not surprised. The dog and pony show must go on!

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing and MTOman
The reason Tesla started with latest Model S/X instead of Model 3 is because latest Model S/X is easier to retrofit than Model 3.

On the other hand older Model S/X are harder to retrofit, hence they are not prioritizing those.
To play devil's advocate, isn't it also possible that they haven't finished designing the retrofit for older cars? And that right now they've retrofitted a couple dozen newer vehicles to verify that the retrofits work? I would argue that this trickle of retrofits is probably just for validation and not the start of large scale retrofits.

Reactions: milleron
To play devil's advocate, isn't it also possible that they haven't finished designing the retrofit for older cars? And that right now they've retrofitted a couple dozen newer vehicles to verify that the retrofits work? I would argue that this trickle of retrofits is probably just for validation and not the start of large scale retrofits.

Sure, the reality of what is done and when certainly can go hand in hand with what is finished. But in the end they’ve had years for deciding how to do this.

We all knew old cars were likely to be left behind at least for a while.

Once again. No.

It does not mean what you think it means or what you rationalize it means. I know it sounds good — and surely Tesla likes to say things that sound good — but it does not mean what you think it means.

Tesla has started the retrofits from the latest Model S/X cars (newer than many Model 3s): AP2.5 MCU2 built around March 2018 onwards. This is a known fact. Please pay attention to the facts.

And here is another known fact: The eligibility for retrofit indeed is derived from VIN. But that does not mean it follows an order of VINs beginning from the oldest. It just means the VIN database tells the SC whether or not this car should be retrofitted now or not.

Tesla started HW3 retrofits from the latest cars and bypassed old buyers of FSD. Absolutely opposite of what you claimed.

Before we can even begin to have a discussion we need to define the start point. You're defining the start point as if it's already happened.

But, has it?

Just because a few people have gotten their upgrades doesn't mean it's started.

At this point in time Tesla has not officially announced that MASS hardware upgrades have begun.

All we know right now is that Tesla has upgraded some Model S, X, and 3 vehicles that have come in for service related stuff. We also know they've told a lot of people that upgrades haven't started yet.

So to me it seems like we're still in the "testing things out phase".

Now that doesn't mean that Tesla won't upgrade HW2.5/MCU2 vehicles FIRST because they very likely will. But, you and I can't go around telling people "I told you so" at this time. Let's save that for a couple months from now. :p

@S4WRXTTCS

I beleive I just did, so I guess I can. ;)

Look. Here’s the point: In theory anything can happen. But in reality @diplomat33 ’s assertion that Tesla is doing things to prioritize HW3 upgrades for older cars is not supported by anything — and definitely not by the SC message pictured in this thread.

In the meanwhile, in reality Tesla started HW3 upgrades from the latest and greatest.

Reactions: Fiddler