Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found this thread and am following. If there is a newer one, please let me know. As an OpenStreetMap contributor for 11 years and a Model 3 owner for 2 years, I am very interested in this topic. I recently added some notes to this OpenStreetMap Tesla Talk Wiki page listing a few of the signs I have seen pointing to Tesla using OpenStreetMap data for routing. And, I am sure that if I combed through this long thread, I would and find many more.

Just found this thread and am following. If there is a newer one, please let me know. As an OpenStreetMap contributor for 11 years and a Model 3 owner for 2 years, I am very interested in this topic. I recently added some notes to this OpenStreetMap Tesla Talk Wiki page listing a few of the signs I have seen pointing to Tesla using OpenStreetMap data for routing. And, I am sure that if I combed through this long thread, I would and find many more.
Interesting article from Apr 2020: Tesla will build its own maps using driving data from the fleet, confirms Elon Musk

Reactions: TreeStryder
these maps are abandoned, Tesla now uses straigt out openstreetmaps dumps with their own data added where needed. you can get a copy of their valhalla from their github repo.
Good info. You can also update parking lots (edit throughways, one ways, traffic islands ect) on openstreetmaps to aid in smart summon success as well.
-------------------------------- -------------------------- ----------------------
Related 3-Jul-2017 Tesla is updating its maps and navigation with open source mapping platforms - Electrek
The company started updating its maps and navigation systems using MapBox and Valhalla.

Several sources confirmed to Electrek that with its most recent updates, Tesla has started pushing new modules from MapBox, an open source mapping platform for custom designed maps, and Valhalla, an open source routing engine for navigation, in its fleet.

The new services are being deployed in Taiwan first, where the company had yet to enable its in-car navigation app, but the new modules are in all vehicles and could technically be enabled by Tesla in its other markets.