Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Battery module failure! Need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Guys

Im new to this forum but need some experts to help me out.

Please dont post if you cant help me out.

I have a Tesla model S 85D. A month ago suddenly the car wouldnt charge to more than 57% and it said "Charge completed". The following week, everything was fine.

Now the last 2 weeks I have only been able to charge my car to 15%, after that it says "Charge complete".

I went to Tesla with the car. They ran some diagnostic and said the voltage on the modules was totally off from what was normal. They took of the battery pack to change it on warranty, but they wouldnt change my battery on warranty because the previous owner has opened the "fuse-lid" on the battery pack and changed something.

BUT they offered me a new 90kwh batterypack for about 30.000 USD, which i refused! Im from Europe and not US.

So now I have a car that will charge to 15% and I need some help about making some decisions. I can buy a used 85kwh Battery pack from a salvaged Model s 85 with warranty (3 months) for about 10.000 USD.

I dont see any problems in changing the batterypack myself, but will it work? Or will the current battery pack be "paired" to my car so i need some kind of Tesla technician to unpair the current pack and pair it with the new pack?

So bottomline questions:
- Can i change the batterypack with at new battery pack from another 85kwh Tesla?
- Does the pack have to be a special year? Like 2013 to 2016?
- Does this batterypack have to be from a Model S 85D? As I can see the batterypacks from 85 and 90 models are all 400VDC?
- And a last question, would you change the modules?
- I did a test with ScanMyTesla and for me it looks like 2 of the modules are off. But how much can the cell difference be in mV to be "normal"?

Screenshots below:

Attachments

• 851.png
    851.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 148
Okay, so can anyone confirm that it would need a "firmware" update if I get a new pack? or is that only if the pack comes from a model S 85 or 90 and not from a 85D?

Thanks a lot fro quick responses, appreciated!

HammerNow, this issue has been seen before:

Battery Charge Level Will Be Restricted

A new battery version is available that should fix this problem, and prevent future occurrences.

You can also ask Tesla to check your car's logs to prove that it actually was charging normally before. As another option, you could ask them to just repair your battery. They may be able to provide you a loaner / rental car.

I think they should fix it. The previous owner may have been checking things where they shouldn't have been and inadvertently did that, so everything could be as it was when new (except for the battery not performing as expected).

If they find that an unauthorized battery modification was made, e.g. a module was added, that's a different conversation. You could still try to persuade them to restore it so that it matches the improved factory version, but you might be liable for that cost.

I hope this helps.

Looks like previous owner screwed you out of battery warranty. Consider reaching out to wk057.

Didn't Jason just offer to install a 1000hp battery for $30K?

Seriously, what proof did Tesla give you that your battery had been tampered with? They need to tell you more about what they think was improperly done when this cover was removed. How do they know? Was it a seal? Did the seal come off by itself?

At this point it's time to contact a lawyer or whatever consumer protection agencies you have in your country.

• Disagree
Reactions: sundaymorning