Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Battery Preconditioning: When, How, and Why You Should Do It

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla community, I have a quick question about pre-conditioning the battery on my Model Y. Do I need to do it every single time I drive the car, or just in the mornings? And what about on the weekends when I may go out at random times? I want to make sure I'm taking the best care of my battery and getting the most out of it. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you start out close to a Supercharger or arrive a Supercharger without adequate Preconditioning for Supercharging, once you start the Supercharger charging session Preconditioning for Supercharging may be initiated by the Tesla vehicle. This may happen while Supercharging is taking place. Preconditioning for Supercharging may consume ~7kW (for stator heating) of the available power for Supercharging. This could shave some minutes off of length of time needed for the Supercharger charging session to complete. Fast and efficient Supercharging helps to maximize the number of available Supercharger stalls, even if it costs a little more for the additional kWh needed for the Preconditioning for Supercharging.

Reactions: MichaelSte2022
Upvote 0
As I understand the HV battery is conditioned to 115F for supercharger. I get it that’s toasty, is there a situation that the battery would exceed this ether from environmental or driving conditions? I’m guessing that we wouldn’t get any indication that the battery is cooling as you might get for cold (sizzling bacon, blue snowflake). Just curious .
The P models have track mode which involves the battery temp being controlled.

Not sure why that wouldn't also be an automatic response on a regular MY to say climbing a mountain pass with a full load in mid summer. Perhaps it is.

Upvote 0
And on that point -- My supercharging in Nevada a couple of weeks ago cost an extra $3.50 for preconditioning -- hate paying $.49 per kW when two years ago it was 23 cents.
How did you come up with your Tesla used 7+kW for preconditioning? If I remember correctly Kyle from Out of Spec Supercharged a 2018 Dual motor with a cold soaked HV battery at around -15F and the car used less than 7kW before charging of the battery began. I remember thinking WOW using less than 7kW to warm the battery from around -15F to 32+f in 45 minutes seemed almost unbelievable. Maybe the cold soaked battery was at 15F (big difference) need to find the video again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0