Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to pre-condition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the next few weeks I have some long drives in cold temperatures and was wondering about pre-conditioning the car (MYLR) while it is plugged in to my charger before I start the first leg of the journey (it will be about 90 minutes to get to Eurotunnel at Folkestone, where I’ll have some time to kill so will plug in to the Supercharger there).

I’m hoping that pre-conditioning will warm the battery pack enough to improve range and efficiency for that first part of the journey, but as I’ve never preconditioned before I don’t know how long it would be recommended to use this function before I set off on the drive? I’m on Intelligent Octopus so I think pre-conditioning for a 5am departure will be at cheap rate. How long do people pre-condition for? 30 minutes, 60 minutes, more, less?

(my understanding) Warming the car before leaving while plugged in to EVSE just means you're not using battery to do the expensive car CABIN warmup. Warming the battery (precondition prior to supercharger use) allows greater energy in or out, but not total energy stored. So, as a cold battery warms through normal driving, indicated or real range might increase. As said in chemistry lessons "every doubling of temperature / 10 celsius doubles chemical reaction rate". I forget the exact info but it was daft as based on Celsius, not kelvin, so probably an approximation/rule of thumb.

I rarely precondition for superchargers. I'll navigate to shop/landmark near chargers or choose supercharger at last minute, keeping alternative options open. I find the in car navigation too conservative (I skip 1 or 2 locations, especiallyin mainland Europe) or might have someone say they need food or toilet or driver needs a break.

Saves a bit of juice and gives enough time for family to do their stuff when they need/want to.

I think there are superchargers near Calais (check you can get to them when leaving UK, sometimes they're in wrong part for direction of journey. I forget details).

Main benefit of preconditioning in very cold weather is to avoid having limited regen for the first 30 mins or so of your trip. And having a warm bum on entry.

As others have said, it’s more for convenience than necessary, so don’t sweat getting it exactly timed. I usually set it for the time I’m due to leave, just so it’s at least started when I get in as I usually remember to do it manually about 5ft away from the car.

For comfort, I've found that 5 mins of preconditioning are usually enough to bring the cabin from 0° to 20°.
Can't speak of the battery though...

I guess if you input your desired departure time on the Scheduling tab of the Tesla app the night before, it will do the maths for you and precondition accordingly?

I pre-condition for about 5 mins if the car is cold. I created an Apple shortcut to do it, although in your case you may want to skip the last step.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 115635.png

it will be about 90 minutes to get to Eurotunnel at Folkestone, where I’ll have some time to kill so will plug in to the Supercharger there

Its open to all, and if a bunch of wrong side other-cars charge there, in alternate bays, you'll be fresh out of luck.

I have some long drives in cold temperatures and was wondering about pre-conditioning the car

My view is:

If I'm going on a short journey and want to pre-condition I can do that off-grid, to use battery (that was charged on overnight Off Peak)

If I'm going range-challenged distances (even if the first Supercharger is within easy reach) I want max range (which translates into reduction of charging time, or possibly being able to skip a stop). To then end I will charge from Grid, even if expensive. I'd charge battery to 100% on Off Peak, provided it wasn;t too long before I set off.

On a long journey (often a holiday) I'd prefer to set off with cabin, seat, steering wheel warm (actually steering wheel doesn't matter much if the cabin, and surfaces within it, are nice and warm), and battery warmed to maximise range and minimise any time I am on reduced regen (car will be at 100% so that will be restricted anyway, but only for a few miles ... which is not enough to warm a cold battery)

For comfort, I've found that 5 mins of preconditioning are usually enough to bring the cabin from 0° to 20°.

Certainly as far as early Model 3’s are concerned, I very much doubt that cabin is actually heated to 20C. The temperature probe is very close to the hot air inlet so greatly benefits from passing hot air. Turn off cabin heat and the cabin soon returns to more ambient temperatures, more so than you would expect it to if just naturally cooling.

My view is: …
That’s pretty much my thinking as well, for a drive to the Alps which I would like to do comfortably in one day. I figure if I start the journey fully topped up with electrons and everything reasonably warm at the very least I maximise my options should, for example, the Folkestone chargers be fully occupied when I’m killing time waiting for my train. An early start means that pre-conditioning will take place at off-peak rate, but as a relatively new owner I’ve never used the pre-conditioning function hence my question about duration.

As an aside, I’m on the Intelligent Octopus tariff with an Ohme Home Pro charger. If I set pre-conditioning via the Ohme app to take place for 20 minutes prior to my departure time when the car is plugged in, will this be counted at off-peak rate even if it is outside the guaranteed 11.30pm to 5.30am off-peak hours? Does pre-conditioning count as charging as far as Ohme is concerned, or is it Identified in a different way?

a drive to the Alps which I would like to do comfortably in one day

We've done it all-in-one-o and getting half way and overnighting - that comes about when we cannot leave until end of day, and then it isn't half way because losing an hour's time change arriving in France means we have to stop an hour early for restaurant to still be open :) We've also left the resort mid afternoon, to get an extra day's skiing, and got to around Tornus for a hotel.

For a return journey leaving at 6AM, the time change, into UK, is then in our favour. Our home is a good 2 hours from Chunnel, and I used to reckon it was 12 hours door-to-door (to e.g. 3-valleys). Compared to ICE we take an extra hour with EV (3x additional 20 minute charging stops, in addition to an hour for lunch and doing our best to arrive on "fumes" and charge to 100%), but we arrive in FAR better shape, because of those extra stops, than we ever did in ICE - and we were a lot younger then :). We used to turn off the motorway and find a restaurant in a sleepy village ... now we have to use facilities at a Supercharger, so we plan for that to be able to enjoy our meal (there's a decent restaurant next to the Macon charger ... but there is, literally, nothing else there)

If you travel (back at least) Flexi there are chargers at the Flexi lounge on the French side, so can sit there reading papers and choosing sandwiches / Coffee etc. They are air-side, so easier to time departure for a train than the ones that are ground-side (available in both France and UK), as its difficult to predict time to get through passports and customs.

I would recommend charging at the Chunnel on the way home. Depends what your route home is, but the Maidstone charger has few stalls, and attracts lots of people who have come off the Chunnel "empty", so I've had to queue there and then get a slow pair-ed charge. I've decided that missing a train, in France, and sitting at Flexi Lounge until I have enough charge to get home, or well clear of the Chunnel Superchargers, is the better option.

I use ABetterRoutePlanner to see where it thinks I'm going to charge, particularly where I know I will be stationary for an hour for lunch. I make a note of must-have SoC (i.e. to reach next one) at Superchargers that I could skip - so that I know whether I can press on. Also choosing whether I want East or West route south to Lyon (and the consequences for where Lunch stop would be :) ). But plenty of people just set off and stop wherever Satnav tells them to.

Last edited:
As an aside, I’m on the Intelligent Octopus tariff with an Ohme Home Pro charger. If I set pre-conditioning via the Ohme app to take place for 20 minutes prior to my departure time when the car is plugged in, will this be counted at off-peak rate even if it is outside the guaranteed 11.30pm to 5.30am off-peak hours? Does pre-conditioning count as charging as far as Ohme is concerned, or is it Identified in a different wa
I have the same setup and the precondition is charged at the low rate as long as it is part of the smart charge session

Reactions: rob@rar
Couple of threads that I remember, which might be useful (bit of a mountain of posts to wade through ...) First one is my personal experience.

I think that second one has it covered, but:

Schuko adaptor (e.g. for UMC) so you can charge from regular socket in France

TAG for the tolls (useful if left-side passenger may be asleep at a toll, or you are solo-driver)

Crit'Air vignettes (pollution declaration windscreen sticker, required in some French towns)

Things required in France - not sure what that is currently, but used to be Hi Viz vest, spare headlight bulbs, and 2x breathalyser tests (pretty sure that last is no longer required)

If you have Winter Tyres I recommend taking a Summer Wheel with you, so that you could limp along using it as a spare. And a can of gunge, and a 12V tyre inflator etc. Maybe a puncture repair "plug" kit

We've done it all-in-one …
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I’ll be heading to Les Arcs, and home is about 90 minutes from the Chunnel so I’ve always worked on the same 12 hours door-to-door principal as you when driving ICE. I’ve done a bit of route planning with ABRP and I’m assuming an extra 90 minutes journey time, and hopefully feeling a bit fresher when I arrive, as you say. There’s a Shell reCharge 22kw charger a few minutes from my place in Arc 1800, so hoping charging while I’m there will be easy. Looking forward to next week to discover whether it goes smoothly or not!

Thanks for the tip about Flexi for charging on return. Hadn’t thought of that, but will consider it. Generally I avoid Saturday travel and usually the traffic around the Calais terminal isn’t too bad (and there always seems to be available Superchargers at the main terminal building).

Couple of threads that I remember, which might be useful (bit of a mountain of posts to wade through ...) First one is my personal experience.

I think that second one has it covered, but:

Schuko adaptor (e.g. for UMC) so you can charge from regular socket in France

TAG for the tolls (useful if left-side passenger may be asleep at a toll, or you are solo-driver)

Crit'Air vignettes (pollution declaration windscreen sticker, required in some French towns)

Things required in France - not sure what that is currently, but used to be Hi Viz vest, spare headlight bulbs, and 2x breathalyser tests (pretty sure that last is no longer required)

If you have Winter Tyres I recommend taking a Summer Wheel with you, so that you could limp along using it as a spare. And a can of gunge, and a 12V tyre inflator etc. Maybe a puncture repair "plug" kit
I remember reading those threads some time ago, but will re-read to double check. I’ve got the Schuko adapter, toll tag and Crit’Air so all good on that front. I do have winters but not sure about taking an extra wheel, it takes up so much space. Perhaps will see how much space I have left when the car is loaded for this trip.

i think the breathalyser test requirement was never implemented and was dropped a few years back. Hi viz vests are normally kept in the subtrunk, but carrying spare headlight bulbs makes zero sense for many cars these days. Will just have to hope I’m not pulled over by Monsieur Plod!

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I’ll be heading to Les Arcs, and home is about 90 minutes from the Chunnel so I’ve always worked on the same 12 hours door-to-door principal as you when driving ICE. I’ve done a bit of route planning with ABRP and I’m assuming an extra 90 minutes journey time, and hopefully feeling a bit fresher when I arrive, as you say. There’s a Shell reCharge 22kw charger a few minutes from my place in Arc 1800, so hoping charging while I’m there will be easy. Looking forward to next week to discover whether it goes smoothly or not!

Thanks for the tip about Flexi for charging on return. Hadn’t thought of that, but will consider it. Generally I avoid Saturday travel and usually the traffic around the Calais terminal isn’t too bad (and there always seems to be available Superchargers at the main terminal building).
And don‘t be tempted to charge to 100% before leaving Les Arc, otherwise you’ll miss the satisfaction of making electricity all the way down the mountain to Albertville :)

Reactions: rob@rar
This
My view is:

If I'm going on a short journey and want to pre-condition I can do that off-grid, to use battery (that was charged on overnight Off Peak)

If I'm going range-challenged distances (even if the first Supercharger is within easy reach) I want max range (which translates into reduction of charging time, or possibly being able to skip a stop). To then end I will charge from Grid, even if expensive. I'd charge battery to 100% on Off Peak, provided it wasn;t too long before I set off.

On a long journey (often a holiday) I'd prefer to set off with cabin, seat, steering wheel warm (actually steering wheel doesn't matter much if the cabin, and surfaces within it, are nice and warm), and battery warmed to maximise range and minimise any time I am on reduced regen (car will be at 100% so that will be restricted anyway, but only for a few miles ... which is not enough to warm a cold battery)
Set the precondition departure time in the app and the car will automatically start the process at the right time. Only worth doing if on grid, even at peak rate

If you watch the charger load you will see around 7kw at the start of preconditioning, dropping to 4-5kw when cabin is up to temp - around 5 minutes in. Mine takes another 25-35mins to heat the battery where the load will drop to around 1kw at the time it announces its preconditioned.

Not worth it for short or medium journeys, just warm the cabin up 5 minutes before you want to go. But on marginal range trips or where you will have to stop to charge enroute it can make a decent difference as the first 15mins are much more efficient and regen will be available sooner.