Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Body Repair Center Wait Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, anyone with experience in how Telsa Body Repair shop works? My MY got into an accident on Christmas night and now it's not driveable. I have already talked to the insurance company and Tesla body shop. The insurance company said I can tow the car to the body shop any time, but Tesla body repair shop said they are out of car storage and the earliest appointment is at the end of January. What is the normal wait time for a Tesla body repair due to an accident? I didn't expect to wait one full month to get the car to the shop, then wait until 3 weeks for repair. Kind of sad to see my damaged MY in my garage every day. :(:(:(

I actually struck a deer last night and have some minor front damage. I put in a service appointment for the collision repair and they actually cancelled the appointment. The message told me to go to a European collision center as Tesla was not equipped to handle body repair. They said they only typically replace bumpers, hoods, glass, etc..... I went back and told them I had no “body repairs or painting”..... I likely needed a bumper and hood alignment. They accepted the new appointment and sent me an estimate for $1101.00 to replace the front bumper. Although the Insurance will be paying, that was much lower than I would have guessed for a new bumper replacement.....

Oh, this was the Roswell, Georgia Service Center

Edit: Oh, again..... My first available appointment was 01/18/2021. Basically 3 weeks..... At least my car is driveable.

I actually struck a deer last night and have some minor front damage. I put in a service appointment for the collision repair and they actually cancelled the appointment. The message told me to go to a European collision center as Tesla was not equipped to handle body repair. They said they only typically replace bumpers, hoods, glass, etc..... I went back and told them I had no “body repairs or painting”..... I likely needed a bumper and hood alignment. They accepted the new appointment and sent me an estimate for $1101.00 to replace the front bumper. Although the Insurance will be paying, that was much lower than I would have guessed for a new bumper replacement.....

Oh, this was the Roswell, Georgia Service Center

Edit: Oh, again..... My first available appointment was 01/18/2021. Basically 3 weeks..... At least my car is driveable.
My condolences to Bambi.

The thing that concerns me - as I try to follow Tesla service and repair processes - how does Tesla know (or anyone know for that matter) what really needs repair or replacement until a human being checks things out ?

They won't offer to give things an initial look / diagnosis so you can then figure out which way to go ?

Here in CA - I've never been referred to any kind of body shop outside of Tesla. They've even tried to dissuade me from ever considering this option. Kinda strange how they're setting things up in GA.

My model Y hit deer on 12/19 (saturday) and following is the timeline for repair process so far in Austin, TX:

12/19: Contacted insurance (Progressive) and filed claim as the damage was visibly extensive despite slow speed. It was clear that new bumper, right front fender, right front headlight, and right front passenger needed replacement/repair.

12/20: Contacted Tesla-authorized body shop on via email

12/21: Tesla-authorized body shop contacted me and towed away my vehicle. I talked with claim adjuster and was approved to get my vehicle fixed at my chose location.

12/23: Body shop dissembled my vehicle. Insurance company inspected. Both parties agreed on repair estimate - total estimate came out at $14,000 including tax.

Estimated completion date as of now is 1/21. It sucks for me to drive my wife family's 2015 accord for now.. but it could have been worse since bambie and my family is safe.

Hope this helps for others with similar experience!

My model Y hit deer on 12/19 (saturday) and following is the timeline for repair process so far in Austin, TX:

12/19: Contacted insurance (Progressive) and filed claim as the damage was visibly extensive despite slow speed. It was clear that new bumper, right front fender, right front headlight, and right front passenger needed replacement/repair.

12/21: Tesla-authorized body shop contacted me and towed away my vehicle. I talked with claim adjuster and was approved to get my vehicle fixed at my chose location.

12/23: Body shop dissembled my vehicle. Insurance company inspected. Both parties agreed on repair estimate - total estimate came out at $14,000 including tax.

Estimated completion date as of now is 1/21. It sucks for me to drive my wife family's 2015 accord for now.. but it could have been worse since bambie and my family is safe.

OK that's a relief to hear... sounds like the repair process is in order. Your Accord is feeling dissed - but can't help that...

OK that's a relief to hear... sounds like the repair process is in order. Your Accord is feeling dissed - but can't help that...

Yup. I kind of expected the process to take awhile since body shop had to order parts from Tesla during the holiday and EOY push by Elon..

It is a bit sad since I have to go gas stations and miss all the techs like autopilot and etc. Even my wife who knows nothing about car misses MY badly.. so that speaks a lot the difference between two vehicles haha

Thanks for the info. The body shop in Elk Grove, IL, said they are too busy and will not look at my car until end of January. Maybe I should have tow it there and hopefully they will have time to look at it at their down time (if any)?

...sadly, this discussion is flawed because regional differences alter any timeline: population density, number of Tesla approved repair shops, Tesla density, climate, etc. etc. I'm not surprised that in the winter, in the Chicago region, there would be a backlog of cars to deal with ahead of you, with similar complaints about delays.

KenYoung1: You've got some tough decisions to make. Where is your car now? Is it secure/somewhat protected from the elements? Towing it to someone who says they're already backed up probably won't accomplish anything except annoying them. For sure they're going nuts trying to manage their workload.

Have you spoken directly with your SC? Can they provide you with other Tesla approved repair shops? Can your insurance company provide you with a list of Tesla approved repair shops? Can you actually visit any of them in person? Face-to-face can sometimes accomplish some real progress.

You might actually need to put the car in storage until any Tesla approved shop can accept it. That really sucks, I know, but I'm just trying to be realistic about your situation.

longhorn8847: "...and right front passenger needed replacement/repair..." HAHAHA!!!! I guess it wasn't your wife, because you reference her in a later post.

This thread is prompting me to phone my insurance (USAA) to enquire about Tesla repair shops in the DFW region. I like to do my research BEFORE s*** happens!!!

longhorn8847: "...and right front passenger needed replacement/repair..." HAHAHA!!!! I guess it wasn't your wife, because you reference her in a later post.

This thread is prompting me to phone my insurance (USAA) to enquire about Tesla repair shops in the DFW region. I like to do my research BEFORE s*** happens!!!

I meant to say right front passenger side door I hope my wife never sees this post since she might think I intentially hired deer for this surprise lol

I think the best bet is to inquire to Tesla where the authorized body shop is in DFW region. But just hope nothing like this happens since it sucks not having Tesla for extended period of time..

• Funny
Reactions: CleverUsername
...sadly, this discussion is flawed because regional differences alter any timeline: population density, number of Tesla approved repair shops, Tesla density, climate, etc. etc. I'm not surprised that in the winter, in the Chicago region, there would be a backlog of cars to deal with ahead of you, with similar complaints about delays.

KenYoung1: You've got some tough decisions to make. Where is your car now? Is it secure/somewhat protected from the elements? Towing it to someone who says they're already backed up probably won't accomplish anything except annoying them. For sure they're going nuts trying to manage their workload.

Have you spoken directly with your SC? Can they provide you with other Tesla approved repair shops? Can your insurance company provide you with a list of Tesla approved repair shops? Can you actually visit any of them in person? Face-to-face can sometimes accomplish some real progress.

You might actually need to put the car in storage until any Tesla approved shop can accept it. That really sucks, I know, but I'm just trying to be realistic about your situation.

The car is in my home garage. I whether it's parked inside my garage instead of sitting outside the lot in the Tesla shop. I talked to the Tesla Body shop and SC, both did not recommend other places for me. I will call them again next week to see if there is any other options.
I asked them about if there is a way to review the log of the accident. They said it's not something they can help with and don't know who to contact.

If your local SC is not an in-house Tesla body shop listed on their site then the SC can’t do any real repairs. I wasted waiting 2 weeks for an appointment only to find out my local SC doesn’t do body shop repairs. Went to a Tesla Certified body shop waited another 2 weeks for parts and now my car is finally fixed after more than a month of just waiting.

Basically the same story here...

12/11 Rear ended--yep as predicted the lift gate got it even in a low speed collision.

12/15 Dropped at repair shop in Richmond VA --we live in NYC but have been staying with my mom in VA for long periods since COVID. Figured repair waits would be better there and that seems to be true.

12/16 parts ordered--saying bumper needs to be replaced bu lift gate can be repaired (quote ~3360, ready by 12/31)

12/21 car disassembled--sure enough lift gate has more damage than expected and will need to be replaced (quote now ~$16,000, ready 1/5)

1/4 Lift gate back ordered, now ready in 1-2 weeks, likely 1/18. *sigh* between this and minor repairs after I got it initially I've had my car for 3 months and been able to drive it for 6 weeks :(

And yes, all the articles about the vulnerability of the lift gate in rear end accidents and costly repairs appear true from my N of 1. At least progressive has been good about approving everything without complaint (we filed through our ins although we weren't at fault). Progressive is pursuing the other company to get reimbursed and get our deductible back.