Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Branded TPMS Activation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to go and pickup a set of TPMS sensors for my 2021 M3 from Tesla Service. However when I was communicating with the service center they said they have to be activated. When I asked how they said I had to bring the car in and make a service appointment.

Has anyone else experienced this activation business? Reading through some of the TPMS posts I was under the impression if you buy from Tesla direct they just work out of the box by driving around the block or something like that!

Any feedback on this?

Reactions: techlogik
Haha...funny, I'm in Tampa as well, with that said, have some new wheels I'm putting on, also bought some TPMS bluetooth to put in the new wheels. From my understanding it is magically supposed to find them....IDK. Maybe someone can provide some insight. From other threads it seems to just magically know. If not, got a service appt anyway next week, so either way, will get it dealt with if the auto provision doesn't work.

Haha...funny, I'm in Tampa as well, with that said, have some new wheels I'm putting on, also bought some TPMS bluetooth to put in the new wheels. From my understanding it is magically supposed to find them....IDK. Maybe someone can provide some insight. From other threads it seems to just magically know. If not, got a service appt anyway next week, so either way, will get it dealt with if the auto provision doesn't work.

Are you buying new sensors? Or are you taking them out of the current wheels? In fact why not just take them from the existing wheels??

There is no "activation" process with Tesla's Bluetooth Sensors.

Just have them installed and start driving. The sensors will automatically sync to the car.

If for whatever reason the car is having difficulty syncing with the sensors, simply swipe to the tire pressure menu on the lower left of the screen and drive around. This will force the car to sync with the sensors.

fut3r1mkuqa31.jpg

Danny

There is no "activation" process with Tesla's Bluetooth Sensors.

Just have them installed and start driving. The sensors will automatically sync to the car.

If for whatever reason the car is having difficulty syncing with the sensors, simply swipe to the tire pressure menu on the lower left of the screen and drive around. This will force the car to sync with the sensors.

fut3r1mkuqa31.jpg

Danny
Thank you...

Tesla service center jut wants to make a big deal out of nothing.

BTW do you sell after market ones? and if so how much are they?

Thank you...

Tesla service center jut wants to make a big deal out of nothing.

BTW do you sell after market ones? and if so how much are they?

We used to carry the Factory Tesla TPMS Sensors. But the ordering / inventory process is a pain...
Your best bet is to drive directly to the TSC and request for them. They don't even pick up phone calls or answer emails...

Danny

I got a set from Tire Rack and had them installed when I had tires mounted on my new wheels (I have the stock tires still mounted on the stock wheels in storage). My car picked them right up - I didn’t even think about it until I’d been driving for a bit (no messages that I saw). When I checked the tire pressure card, they were there and showing the correct pressure, as if they were there all along.

I got a set from Tire Rack and had them installed when I had tires mounted on my new wheels (I have the stock tires still mounted on the stock wheels in storage). My car picked them right up - I didn’t even think about it until I’d been driving for a bit (no messages that I saw). When I checked the tire pressure card, they were there and showing the correct pressure, as if they were there all along.
What year is your Tesla. I wonder if they will work with 2021 Models?

for another data point to not needing programing .. i purchased a set of 4 sensors in 2019 for my 2019 Model 3 for $120 amazon .. brand was something funky like ITM but had great reviews .. they are $100 now .. car recognized them within 3 min of driving asked if new / as well as any new wheel size ..never have had a problem with them .. and responded as designed when i recently collected a screw and tire pressure dropped to 28psi ....also they have really snazzy looking black aluminum valve stems 😄

Reactions: maxshafiq
Interestingly they are $95 each at TireRack and Tesla selling them for $75 !!!! Thats a Shocker...lol

View attachment 684935

Tire rack may not be getting much (if any) discount on them. Ordering from them would be convenience or because its in stock there vs tesla if tesla happens to be out of stock.

Interestingly they are $95 each at TireRack and Tesla selling them for $75 !!!! Thats a Shocker...lol

View attachment 684935

Tire rack may not be getting much (if any) discount on them. Ordering from them would be convenience or because its in stock there vs tesla if tesla happens to be out of stock.

That's what it is...

Since these bluetooth sensors became a thing, we have all been at the mercy of Tesla. TireRack must have relatively high overhead, so it's got to be worth their time to even offer these sensors. You always have the option to order from TSC, so it's more of a convenience fee when you're already ordering wheels/tires from TireRack...

Danny

Are you buying new sensors? Or are you taking them out of the current wheels? In fact why not just take them from the existing wheels??
Bought new from Tirerack. Tesla service 1 week later still hasn't returned my phone call or email. Big surprise! I was wanting to buy them since they are right on my way to/from work at the best price right from Tesla. But apparently as I found out upon delivery, they don't like to talk to people. Unreal, I'm going to blast them at my appt next week if they don't cancel it AGAIN!!! Sorry rant over...but getting them from other places, like Tirerack right now is your only choice.

Going to likely sell the original aero 18s with 700mi w/tires/BT TPMS that are like new...worth more I assume?? Recoup some money. I mean the BT TPMS are worth $400 alone!

Guess as others posted, it will just work, as it should. But guess that is why we have this forum, because with all of this "new" technology that is proprietary...you never know.

• Funny
Reactions: MODEL+