Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla browser capabilities / developing for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what people use to develop sites for the Tesla in-car browser. The reason I ask is that I've run into a weird conundrum where I build a page from various code snippets (in php) and need to load a script in the middle of the page because that's where the snippet is right now. I thought nothing of it until I discovered, that while this works nicely in phones, tablets and browsers it seems to not work in the car. It's as if the script didn't even get loaded, which is bizarre.

As there is no way to debug this in the car (there's no developer console) it's hard to figure out why it fails there and it really is annoying to develop while sitting in the car to test stuff in the car.

So I was wondering if anyone knows the concrete limitations of the Tesla browser and how do others develop for it?

Probably a waste of time with the current onboard browser.

Tesla doesn't even try to get their own website to display properly in the car.

A new browser is supposed to be included in 8.1 - which should be released sometime soon.

May be better to just ignore the current browser for now and wait until 8.1 is released - and then focus on working with that browser.

And maybe Tesla will get their own website to display properly in Tesla cars...

May be better to just ignore the current browser for now and wait until 8.1 is released - and then focus on working with that browser.

Can't really wait, need my fleet to be orderable ;) Right now the drivers operate off their screens and that's super comfy, but this is the first time I discovered a real issue that the code didn't work. Previously the code was in-line instead of being sourced from a .js file and then it worked just fine. So I'll have to investigate further on what I can do though it's a PITA to debug with having to go to the car all the time..