Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buying process is Flawed (long)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m guessing you took some pictures while you were there. Can you post these for us? Thanks.

I’m guessing you took some pictures while you were there. Can you post these for us? Thanks.
I had to refuse the delivery of my MYLR today because of the “unserviceable” defect. I have to several delivery appointments to see if it resolved but sadly they did not do anything but admit it was an issue. The issue was that the rear door did not aligned with the rear bumper assembly (crooked off up to 1/4 inch) which was a factory assembly qc problem. Is the defect affect how the car run, no. But it was It was too much to ignore when I pointed out to the Tesla tech person (who was very understanding) so I decide against delivery. Even the tech said a “60 grand“ car should not have that kind of defect. Well, this is an American made not a China made product (my original thought)!

I was then told that Tesla will try to get me a car of same specs in available stock . If not they will put me in the back of the queue for re order. That is ok I said as long as I don’t get reject stock! He then said that I must take deliver of that car once given the VIN. He explained stressed that, even with defects, I must accept the car or Tesla will cancel the order and keep my 250$ order fee even though it is not a fault if my own.

In continuation of this process, I feel like I am stuck in a SCAM! If the car is perfect (like normally expected in any purchase) then no issue, but if the car is not perfect even of obvious noticeable defects (non serviceable) customer must take the delivery. If the customer refused because of defects, he/she will lose the deposit.

This is a SCAM, no doubt about it. The customer should be protected from defective products. Not at Tesla. No way this happens at Honda to Porsche! For me my bad luck is that my car build was not free of un fixable defects.

So now I will wait for my “second chance” to get a new car I order. I must take the car with defects or loose the deposit.

Just want to be transparent to the “Tesla buying experience”.

This is something Tesla must address!!
Or loose the American Way!
I am in the same shoes , please read my comment

I'm an engineer, panel gaps are easy to fix, just don't over tighten the bolts and strip them, just a nice lock with locktite and correct spanner. You may have to file the holes with a round file patently creating a couple of millimetres sloted hole, then prime, paint and fish oil and your all set. The file can slip so tape thick duck tape around the working area.

You were correct to reject this car imho. In my experience, when a door is askew in this axis, it is very hard for the SC to get the door aligned properly. Why?

Because if you rotate the door to fix this gap you’ll almost certainly need to adjust the rear door too. You’ll need to adjust the striker plates, ensure the door seal seats properly, etc. The only hope of getting this kind of adjustment right is to send it to a body sho, but even then a good outcome isn’t guaranteed.

It’s just my personal opinion, but I would 100% reject a car for door alignment. It is very often not a trivial issue despite what some here may think. See a car with door hinges that have been adjusted (missing paint on the bolts) run, do not walk, away from that car. Just my $0.02.

This picture is from a car I saw at delivery, similar issue:
IMG_8390.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't understand why Tesla is making delivery of the vehicle such a problem.

Apparently I'm within 250 miles of their delivery center, so they require me to pick up the car, even though I've asked them to have it shipped (and they agreed to it). Now they tell me I have to pick up the car within 3 days (without any notice) or they cancel the order and I'll lose the $250 deposit!?!