Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I lost to Tesla in Arbitration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the 2023 model 3 in California last July after the agents told me the new version is not going to be out for years.
Since the beginning I noticed a vibration clicking ticking noise coming from the driver door area. I took the car to repair 8 times which didn’t solve anything, submitted two repurchase requests which were rejected, and three arbitration cases which were also rejected.

The last arbitration case really looked like a sort of scam orchestrated with Tesla. All of the conditions to accept my claim were satisfied (including that it’s covered by warranty) except of showing reduced use/value/safety, all of which I argued with concrete proofs which they ignored. I think this whole arbitration is just an illusion used to give the facade of customer protection because after a lot of research on my part to build a bullet proof case, they just reject without any explanation for why the specific condition isn’t met although I provided concrete evidence.

Is there anything which I’m missing here? Any way to get them to take that defective noisy terrible quality car? Or is it just the way it was, some cheap plastic covering an expensive battery like others mentioned, and a fake facade of a high end customer service and consumer protection rules?
Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
I bought the 2023 model 3 in California last July after the agents told me the new version is not going to be out for years.
Since the beginning I noticed a vibration clicking ticking noise coming from the driver door area. I took the car to repair 8 times which didn’t solve anything, submitted two repurchase requests which were rejected, and three arbitration cases which were also rejected.

The last arbitration case really looked like a sort of scam orchestrated with Tesla. All of the conditions to accept my claim were satisfied (including that it’s covered by warranty) except of showing reduced use/value/safety, all of which I argued with concrete proofs which they ignored. I think this whole arbitration is just an illusion used to give the facade of customer protection because after a lot of research on my part to build a bullet proof case, they just reject without any explanation for why the specific condition isn’t met although I provided concrete evidence.

Is there anything which I’m missing here? Any way to get them to take that defective noisy terrible quality car? Or is it just the way it was, some cheap plastic covering an expensive battery like others mentioned, and a fake facade of a high end customer service and consumer protection rules?
Thanks
The warranty actually doesn't cover noise and rattles, although Tesla does tend to try to address concerns where possible. It's mentioned in the exclusions in the warranty:
"General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal,general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration; and"
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_NA_en.pdf

A rattle also generally would not qualify for lemon nor repurchase, given it's not an issue that makes the car undriveable nor affects safety in any significant way.

I think you would have to diagnose and find the source of the noise yourself (like find exactly which panel/clip the noise is coming from, then Tesla can replace that underwarranty), as a lot of people have done and there are threads on this if you do a search. Most SCs don't have the time nor experience to do it properly. As for front sounds, a common cause is the dash panel. The A-pillar or B-pillar clips being loose can also possibly cause that issue. Also make sure nothing is in your door pockets. I notice when I have plastic water bottles there, sometimes they make a creaking or rattling noise.

Thanks
First you should have opted out of arbitration within the first 30 days of buying your Tesla. Instructions to do so are in the MVPA.
If you really think there’s an issue, have you tried the lemon law pathway?

The warranty actually doesn't cover noise and rattles, although Tesla does tend to try to address concerns where possible. It's mentioned in the exclusions in the warranty:
"General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal,general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration; and"
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_NA_en.pdf

A rattle also generally would not qualify for lemon nor repurchase, given it's not an issue that makes the car undriveable nor affects safety in any significant way.

I think you would have to diagnose and find the source of the noise yourself (like find exactly which panel/clip the noise is coming from, then Tesla can replace that underwarranty), as a lot of people have done and there are threads on this if you do a search. Most SCs don't have the time nor experience to do it properly. As for front sounds, a common cause is the dash panel. The A-pillar or B-pillar clips being loose can also possibly cause that issue. Also make sure nothing is in your door pockets. I notice when I have plastic water bottles there, sometimes they make a creaking or rattling noise.
As I mentioned I was able to make the case that the significance of the noise makes it within the warranty (meaning that it’s not general appearance of noise from an unknown source which didn’t need any part replacement).
What chance to I have to find and fix that if their engineers looked at it 8 times? It is coming from the B pillar and the door panel, both of which they opened/relplaced many times.

First you should have opted out of arbitration within the first 30 days of buying your Tesla. Instructions to do so are in the MVPA.
If you really think there’s an issue, have you tried the lemon law pathway?
I read here that the opt out doesn’t matter and that it started in 2024? How is it relevant?
I did mention that I went the arbitration meaning lemon law arbitration 3 times, and how it failed.

As I mentioned I was able to make the case that the significance of the noise makes it within the warranty (meaning that it’s not general appearance of noise from an unknown source which didn’t need any part replacement).
What chance to I have to find and fix that if their engineers looked at it 8 times? It is coming from the B pillar and the door panel, both of which they opened/relplaced many times.
Well plenty of cases where people found the issue themselves when multiple visits to Tesla couldn't. The SCs simply don't have the patience to find it noise issues because usually it's very hard to find the source and takes a lot of time.

Stop talking to Tesla and find a lawyer, however it’s unlikely you would find one due to the previous 5 failed attempts.. You’ve made many mistakes..

after the agents told me the new version is not going to be out for years.
Listening to the sales pitch, the highland news was all over the places by the time you took delivery. Tesla's Worst-Kept Secret: A Comprehensive Review of Project Highland

submitted two repurchase requests which were rejected, and three arbitration cases which were also rejected
except of showing reduced use/value/safety
a lot of research on my part
Taking on Tesla on your own and failed 5 times. not sure why you wouldn’t consult with a lawyer?

high end customer service
Expecting “high end” service on an introductory model.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
if vibration/rattle noise warrants a warranty buyback, I think tesla will go bankrupt. You will have better luck trying to fix it yourself than their lazy employers. if you can't handle the noise anymore, just take a financial hit and trade in for a different brand.