Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buying process is Flawed (long)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to refuse the delivery of my MYLR today because of the “unserviceable” defect. I have to several delivery appointments to see if it resolved but sadly they did not do anything but admit it was an issue. The issue was that the rear door did not aligned with the rear bumper assembly (crooked off up to 1/4 inch) which was a factory assembly qc problem. Is the defect affect how the car run, no. But it was It was too much to ignore when I pointed out to the Tesla tech person (who was very understanding) so I decide against delivery. Even the tech said a “60 grand“ car should not have that kind of defect. Well, this is an American made not a China made product (my original thought)!

I was then told that Tesla will try to get me a car of same specs in available stock . If not they will put me in the back of the queue for re order. That is ok I said as long as I don’t get reject stock! He then said that I must take deliver of that car once given the VIN. He explained stressed that, even with defects, I must accept the car or Tesla will cancel the order and keep my 250$ order fee even though it is not a fault if my own.

In continuation of this process, I feel like I am stuck in a SCAM! If the car is perfect (like normally expected in any purchase) then no issue, but if the car is not perfect even of obvious noticeable defects (non serviceable) customer must take the delivery. If the customer refused because of defects, he/she will lose the deposit.

This is a SCAM, no doubt about it. The customer should be protected from defective products. Not at Tesla. No way this happens at Honda to Porsche! For me my bad luck is that my car build was not free of un fixable defects.

So now I will wait for my “second chance” to get a new car I order. I must take the car with defects or loose the deposit.

Just want to be transparent to the “Tesla buying experience”.

This is something Tesla must address!!
Or loose the American Way!

Not sure where you're getting these perfect car purchase experiences, but many car companies have quality issues. It's just become a thing to complain about minuscule gaps and mostly solvable issues with tesla. I like many others have had awesome delivery experiences. Seems like you're a perfectionist and maybe a 100k+ porsche should suit you better since they have 0 issues.

Not sure where you're getting these perfect car purchase experiences, but many car companies have quality issues. It's just become a thing to complain about minuscule gaps and mostly solvable issues with tesla. I like many others have had awesome delivery experiences. Seems like you're a perfectionist and maybe a 100k+ porsche should suit you better since they have 0 issues.
A Perfect can have flaws which can be serviced.

All reputable companies stand by their products. Tesla policy points a different direction.

Never had an issue buying cars until this potential problem. when. Buying any products, we expect no flaws that can’t be correct . If here are, the make it right.

Main point… do the right thing !

• Disagree
Reactions: beewang and cdswm3
Many years ago, I bought my first car, an American Motors Jeep CJ-5. There was rust on the rear tailgate hinges. I asked them to fix that. They refused, saying it was not a warranted item. I took delivery anyway because I wanted the car, and it turned out to be a total piece of crup.

We all have our tolerances and limits. I agree that if the car offered to you had defects, you have a right to reject it, and get your deposit back. Sadly, Tesla customer service is spotty. I've always gotten excellent service, but from reading these forums I know that in some areas service is sub-standard.

Be aware that Tesla is rather infamous for bad fit-and-finish. My car has body-panel gaps. Personally, I don't care, because I'm driving electric and powered 100% by sunlight on the PV panels on the roof of my house. I didn't even notice until someone pointed the gaps out to me. Once shown, I could see it was true. I just didn't care. But anybody who cares about fit-and-finish should be aware that it's an issue with Tesla. The best car in the world often has body panels that don't fit.

I don't know that I'd call it a scam, but yea for your situation you shouldn't have to lose your deposit or put down another one for a new order. Being forced to accept the car isn't a viable decision to me either. Yea most new cars don't have perfect alignment of panels everywhere slight misalignment doesn't usually bother me. 1/4" is quite a bit though I think.

I would guess though the overwhelming majority of Tesla's being delivered are just fine. (crossing my fingers hoping for mine to be ok now lol)

Hopefully they can remedy this somehow.

The issue was that the rear door did not aligned with the rear bumper assembly (crooked off up to 1/4 inch) which was a factory assembly qc problem. Is the defect affect how the car run, no. But it was It was too much to ignore when I pointed out to the Tesla tech person (who was very understanding) so I decide against delivery. Even the tech said a “60 grand“ car should not have that kind of defect. Well, this is an American made not a China made product (my original thought)!
1/4 inch is unacceptable but should be fixable.

Car was sent to “service dept” 2 times. I was at 3 delivery appt. They can not adjust it further than the crooked gap. They ack the issue on Tesla side but practical tell me take the risk on the second order (and forfeit 250$) if that car has unserviceable defects as well.

Was there anything wrong with the car other than a single 1/4" misalignment on one panel? That's all, 1/4" on one panel of the whole car? And nothing else wrong. That's a 99.9% perfect car. Maybe the next one will be 100%, fingers crossed. Bring calipers and a marble for measurement. The next person getting this car probably won't notice and drive home happy with a 99.9% perfect car.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdswm3 and Yelobird
Sorry but it does seem like you are focused on the certainty of an issue rather than hoping for a better outcome. Plus your posts tend to sway toward a more “eye opening” story line for effect. Your previous thread post it was 3/16” off and you noted it would be acceptable if they got it 95% correct. Now “Perfect” is your only focus. Same with this thread, I want it perfect at delivery then you say it’s ok as long as any issues can be resolved like other OEM’s. They offered you Very wise advice. They could see they would never please you so the advised to get you a new car. Seems overly fair to me. I suspect you kept tossing out the “perfect” demand which prompted the no further returns point which is not a threat, it’s a reality.

I had to refuse the delivery of my MYLR today because of the “unserviceable” defect. I have to several delivery appointments to see if it resolved but sadly they did not do anything but admit it was an issue. The issue was that the rear door did not aligned with the rear bumper assembly (crooked off up to 1/4 inch) which was a factory assembly qc problem. Is the defect affect how the car run, no. But it was It was too much to ignore when I pointed out to the Tesla tech person (who was very understanding) so I decide against delivery. Even the tech said a “60 grand“ car should not have that kind of defect. Well, this is an American made not a China made product (my original thought)!

I was then told that Tesla will try to get me a car of same specs in available stock . If not they will put me in the back of the queue for re order. That is ok I said as long as I don’t get reject stock! He then said that I must take deliver of that car once given the VIN. He explained stressed that, even with defects, I must accept the car or Tesla will cancel the order and keep my 250$ order fee even though it is not a fault if my own.

In continuation of this process, I feel like I am stuck in a SCAM! If the car is perfect (like normally expected in any purchase) then no issue, but if the car is not perfect even of obvious noticeable defects (non serviceable) customer must take the delivery. If the customer refused because of defects, he/she will lose the deposit.

This is a SCAM, no doubt about it. The customer should be protected from defective products. Not at Tesla. No way this happens at Honda to Porsche! For me my bad luck is that my car build was not free of un fixable defects.

So now I will wait for my “second chance” to get a new car I order. I must take the car with defects or loose the deposit.

Do you have pics of this?

Tesla is still pretty new at making cars. They haven't been building for 50+ years like other manufacturers. Everyone that orders a Tesla knows the quality cant compare to a Porsche and reliability isn't even close to a Toyota. Think about what you're really looking for, then decide if a Tesla is still for you.

Tesla is still pretty new at making cars. They haven't been building for 50+ years like other manufacturers. Everyone that orders a Tesla knows the quality cant compare to a Porsche and reliability isn't even close to a Toyota. Think about what you're really looking for, then decide if a Tesla is still for you.
Tesla is still a baby. However, are the old fart companies far advanced because of their age.

I’m guessing you took some pictures while you were there. Can you post these for us? Thanks.

Reactions: rmrm

Tesla has been making cars for, I think, 15 (?) years. Eleven since they started making the Model S, the first car they made from the ground up. I'd say a decade should have been enough time to get quality control and service right. They've kind of fallen short on both counts.

That said, my car produces zero carbon per mile driven!!! It runs entirely on the sunlight hitting the roof of my house. And it's vastly superior to any other electric car I could buy. Handling, acceleration, Enhanced Autopilot. So we tolerate of necessity the failings. I can park in the sun on a hot day and leave the air conditioning running for hours at a time, and when I get home I recharge it from sunlight. That's worth some misaligned body panels.

Hi all, I am very disappointed at how SA treated me at delivery day. This is crazy . She told me check car outside. I checked found many defects . Wide hood gap , she said within specs , Misaligned windshield, she said within specs , finally rt front door
Panel gap very tight at bottom and widens as it goes up . She said to accept car and take photo , they will fix in 5 minutes , but may affect opposite panel gap and if I am ok with that. I asked I check inside , she said I have to accept car first . They cannot open it as it belongs to me now.she said car in now in Grey period where they have no way to open it and only access is I have to accept delivery so I can open it from the app.
That is totally nuts. I cannot check inside of car before buying it . Is 60K car. I denied delivery , no respect . She was jumping from 1 person to another . I am Mercedes and lexus guy . I understand is not best QA in Tesla. But the way they wanted to push that car out of the lot was crazy . I am not stupid to take delivery and then run around making service tickets first 100 miles .
She said to take delivery . I have 100 Miles to check everything and upload in app.
I told her if I left now with this car , I am stuck with it .
Please explain is that what I will expect .
60 k in any other dealer treat u like a king
and let u examine your car inside out .
Am I missing something here?
Attached photos
I welcome your comments .
Note . I was ready to accept but worried more problems with interior .also that misaligned rt front door concerned me.
Aren't we allowed to check inside before accepting delivery?
I am very sad as my son and I actually loved the car when we saw it.
Manager came immediately looked at it . Said OHH , placed me on 14 day hold and told me to get new vin as I have 1 final hold . He was nice .

Attachments

• 20230518_125548.jpg
    20230518_125548.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 20230518_125601.jpg
    20230518_125601.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 159