Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancelled two consecutive Model 3 delivery appointments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Four?

That’s awful.

Why are you paying on the loan if you don’t have the car? I called my lender after my delivery was cancelled and they just voided the cashier’s check.
I went with Lightstream and unsecured loan, so they basically transferred the money to my account and then I went to my bank and issued a cashier check for Tesla that I’m holding to. At least I’m happy I didn’t transfer the money to Tesla.

Reactions: JFW1103 and neroden
I was in your boat with multiple cancelations from the Tysons, VA location. Finally got my car on the 4th attempt (sept 4th) and the car is amazing. Everything works perfect. The only “gap” I could remotely see is on the roof of the car - where one side (drivers side) might be a fraction of an inch more gapped than the other side (passenger side). I also don’t see what all the fuss is about regarding phone key entry. Maybe it doesn’t work with android or older iPhones, but it is incredibly seamless with my iPhone X. Walk up, car unlocks before I grab the handle; walk away, car *beeps* and locks in seconds. If anyone has any questions, ask away.

Thank you for all of the suggestions and support in this thread! This is a great community that I'm happy to be a part of.

My story does have a happy end. At the special sales event yesterday I was able to find and purchase a fantastic Blue Performance model 3. The car is amazing!

It took huge amount of determination, and basically my wife and I scouting the lot until we found a performance model with acceptable panel gaps. And then grabbing the tag and sitting on that car until a sales rep completed our contract. (Our friends described the story like the ending scene from Far and Away... And that's about what it felt like!)

I have had the opportunity to give feedback both to Tesla, and some media which have taken an interest in the delivery situation. Hopefully it will help the people here who are still waiting for their cars.

Third time was the charm, though we weren't initially convinced it was going to happen at all.

We received a call last Friday confirming that the car was at the delivery center and had been inspected, so it was guaranteed for today's 3pm delivery. We'd receive a call an hour or two beforehand, they said. Great! Nice change from the 24-hour or less notice of cancellations the last two times. Then 3pm came and went. At 3:30pm we called the delivery center – which went to voicemail. The voicemail said to press zero to transfer to the national delivery center, which resulted in a recorded message saying the extension in question didn't exist. Not impressed. My wife called the service center, and they said the car was there but it hadn't been prepped and there was no way it was getting delivered today. Needless to say, she was beyond unimpressed at this and stated clearly that she was inclined to demand a refund. They put her on hold, and ten minutes into her hold time we received another call indicating the car would be on its way momentarily.

From there, things went much more smoothly. The car looks amazing, and we can't wait to put it through its paces over the next few days. The process was exhausting and infuriating, but I'm sure that impression will fade with time. Rapid growth is hell on a company, but Tesla really needs to get their act together on the delivery side of things.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and Yuri_G
As of today they’ve now cancelled on twice as well. They haven’t reported any issues with the car, which was supposedly about an hour’s drive from our home. Last week they said it just missed being loaded onto the truck for delivery to the service center they handle deliveries out of. This week they said “the truck still hadn’t been repaired in time.” New story and some revisionist history there.

Really? So they haven’t been able to deliver any vehicles in Seattle for more than a week while they wait for truck repairs? I find that less than plausible. Needless to say, my wife is especially ticked off that we paid in full for a vehicle nearly two weeks ago that, based on these events, we have no reasonable expectations of a delivery timetable for.

I feel for Tesla’s growth challenges but they need to be careful about setting expectations and especially about booking a customer’s time away from work when they can’t deliver. Repeatedly.
I'm curious. Why did you prepay for the car? I understand the problem in Texas. But I have not heard of any issues in WA. Why did they make you prepay? (Which is a really bad idea by the way.)

Third time was the charm, though we weren't initially convinced it was going to happen at all.

We received a call last Friday confirming that the car was at the delivery center and had been inspected, so it was guaranteed for today's 3pm delivery. We'd receive a call an hour or two beforehand, they said. Great! Nice change from the 24-hour or less notice of cancellations the last two times. Then 3pm came and went. At 3:30pm we called the delivery center – which went to voicemail. The voicemail said to press zero to transfer to the national delivery center, which resulted in a recorded message saying the extension in question didn't exist. Not impressed. My wife called the service center, and they said the car was there but it hadn't been prepped and there was no way it was getting delivered today. Needless to say, she was beyond unimpressed at this and stated clearly that she was inclined to demand a refund. They put her on hold, and ten minutes into her hold time we received another call indicating the car would be on its way momentarily.

From there, things went much more smoothly. The car looks amazing, and we can't wait to put it through its paces over the next few days. The process was exhausting and infuriating, but I'm sure that impression will fade with time. Rapid growth is hell on a company, but Tesla really needs to get their act together on the delivery side of things.
Where did you take delivery?

I'm curious. Why did you prepay for the car?

The people my wife worked with to schedule the delivery seemed to suggest it was a requirement before they'd be able to arrange delivery. It never occurred to us that they'd cancel multiple times. My dealings with Tesla in the past have been much more positive than this.

Where did you take delivery?

They brought the vehicle to our home in Seattle.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

Here's a perfect example of bad government gone awry.

First of all let me say that Tesla has really got to get their act together. They are facing numerous headwinds in their expansion. But they undertook this journey, and they should have been better prepared to deal with it. The stories I have read about Tesla undertaking these "new strategies" for dealing with deliveries are really head scratchers to me. I mean really? You started building this model of car, and threw out numbers that suggested you would be building as many as half a million cars a year, and you didn't think ahead about how you were going to deliver them? Grow up, Tesla.

But the list above is a clear indication of an X factor that Tesla is dealing with that they really shouldn't need to be. If you live in one of the states on this list that are being negatively affected please realize that lobbyists and special interest groups are working with their owned politicians in your state to act against your best interests. Please pay attention to what your elected officials are doing to you, and vote them out of office when they act against the best interest of their constituents only to serve the rich special interests.

Here's a perfect example of bad government gone awry.

First of all let me say that Tesla has really got to get their act together. They are facing numerous headwinds in their expansion. But they undertook this journey, and they should have been better prepared to deal with it. The stories I have read about Tesla undertaking these "new strategies" for dealing with deliveries are really head scratchers to me. I mean really? You started building this model of car, and threw out numbers that suggested you would be building as many as half a million cars a year, and you didn't think ahead about how you were going to deliver them? Grow up, Tesla.

But the list above is a clear indication of an X factor that Tesla is dealing with that they really shouldn't need to be. If you live in one of the states on this list that are being negatively affected please realize that lobbyists and special interest groups are working with their owned politicians in your state to act against your best interests. Please pay attention to what your elected officials are doing to you, and vote them out of office when they act against the best interest of their constituents only to serve the rich special interests.
Ironically, these same politicians have no qualms about railing against “big government” intruding upon the free market...

It took huge amount of determination, and basically my wife and I scouting the lot until we found a performance model with acceptable panel gaps. And then grabbing the tag and sitting on that car until a sales rep completed our contract. (Our friends described the story like the ending scene from Far and Away... And that's about what it felt like!)

Whoa. You went checking for panel gaps in every car, found several unacceptable and then one that worked for you?

Reactions: untilcomplete
Ironically, these same politicians have no qualms about railing against “big government” intruding upon the free market...

The issue of Tesla selling into states is a state government issue. From the list of states and legislatures representing those states it is also not an issue of any particular political party, but more than likely an issue of huge dealer networks in those states willing to spend money to lobby against Tesla.

At the Federal level the current congress & executive already threw Tesla a giant meaty bone by not axing the EV tax credit, which was on the chopping block up until the 11th hour.

For Tesla to solve the problem at the state level they are going to have to pay to play like everyone else does. This means having state level lobbyists, and trying to, in the short term, work out some compromises that will allow them to sell into states without using traditional dealerships, or in cases where number of stores are capped lobbying to get those #s increased.

The issue of Tesla selling into states is a state government issue. From the list of states and legislatures representing those states it is also not an issue of any particular political party, but more than likely an issue of huge dealer networks in those states willing to spend money to lobby against Tesla.

At the Federal level the current congress & executive already threw Tesla a giant meaty bone by not axing the EV tax credit, which was on the chopping block up until the 11th hour.

For Tesla to solve the problem at the state level they are going to have to pay to play like everyone else does. This means having state level lobbyists, and trying to, in the short term, work out some compromises that will allow them to sell into states without using traditional dealerships, or in cases where number of stores are capped lobbying to get those #s increased.
Sure is interesting that out of the 12 states that ban Tesla direct sales, 10 have Republican governors...

Sure is interesting that out of the 12 states that ban Tesla direct sales, 10 have Republican governors...

Jeez... give me a break. Cherry pick some metric to try to spin it a certain way much?

I live in California Junior (it used to be called Colorado, then all the Californians moved here). We have a Democratic house and Democratic governor and we are operating under a "one store" policy for Tesla sales.

Who are you going to blame here?

Jeez... give me a break. Cherry pick some metric to try to spin it a certain way much?

I live in California Junior (it used to be called Colorado, then all the Californians moved here). We have a Democratic house and Democratic governor and we are operating under a "one store" policy for Tesla sales.

Who are you going to blame here?
Having a store isn't a total sales ban then, is it? :) Are you required to pay in full sight unseen before Tesla will even ship your car out?

And

Our system of government by legalized bribery is why this country is in a world of *sugar* for the foreseeable future, regardless of which party is taking the bribe.

That being said, the EV tax credit applies across the board, not just to Tesla, so I think it’s a bit dishonest to call that favoritism.