Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car code names

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Whitestar was only ever a code name. As far as I know they always intended to come up with something different.

Hey maybe they could call it "Sedan" to go along with "Roadster" ?! :smile:

========================================================

The GM EV1 was originally called the Impact.
I hope the "Volt" is just the codename and they will call it something else.

The Code name for the rOadster was "Darkstar" after a Low budge Sci Fi movie. White star is just what they started calling the next car.

I suggested Blue Star for the third car.

Anyone? :smile:

Galaxina reference.

"Blue Star" in Galaxina wasn't a ship, rather a "mythical gem of unlimited power". ... Makes me think of EEstor as the power source.

===============

By the way, back on January 25, 2007 there was fun discussion of Tesla code names on their blog.

Searching for sites that include Dark_Star, White_Star & Blue_Star one finds:

Groundcover flowers (e.g. lilies, creepers)
Locales from the book 'Child of the Dark Star'
Ships from the game Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Actual types of stars (from Russian)
Beers:
Dark Star brewery
White Star brewery
Blue Star brewery

Song titles, race horse names, ...

Where were we? Oh yeah... references to items in low budget science fiction movies!

The Code name for the rOadster was "Darkstar" after a Low budge Sci Fi movie. White star is just what they started calling the next car.

I suggested Blue Star for the third car.

Anyone? :smile:

Just a reference point for everyone, Darkstar was John Carpenter's first real film. If you've seen it, you've really got to wonder how it became the code name for a car.

I suspect there was alcohol involved.

Copied from the old TM blogs from over a year ago:
---------------------------------------------------------------
If “Dark Star” is from the space ship from the movie with the same name, then perhaps “White Star” is an ode to Babylon 5:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Star_%28Babylon_5%29
Unfortuntely (like the Darkstar ship) the B5 White Star also met with an explosive end:
“The original White Star was vaporized as Sheridan crashed it into the largest city on Z’ha’dum whilst detonating two 500-megaton nuclear warheads.”
---------------------------------------------------------------

People also pointed out that "White Star Lines" was the name of the company that ran the Titanic and had a bad record of ships lost at sea.

I would think it would be a good idea for Tesla to rename the "Whitestar" with all those associations. Code names are frequently jokes never meant to reach the general public.

For someone that was a big fan of B5 when it aired and followed it almost religiously I would say the Whitestar is an excellent name. (Considering that because of B5 met my gf and now 10 years later my wife I have to like B5) The B5 Whitestar was a super-advanced agile and powerful ship of war. The fact that quite a few of them blow up is pretty standard when the other side is shooting at you :)

Now the Titanic reference is not so good... Regardless it is only a code name and should be treated as such.

Cobos

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yeah - I watched B5 too. Whitestar is appropriate in that they were seriously outnumbered and their only hope was to survive with superior strategy and the advantages of their different technology. (Sounds like Tesla vs the big auto empire)

I recall there was an old computer game called DemonStar.

That would be a cool code name for. . . um. . . something.

And yes, B5 was an excellent TV series. I loved it. But it didn't hold up particularly well to repeated viewing, once you already know how the story ends and what happens to the various characters. The suspense is everything.

DemonStar looks a bit like a Raiden X knock-off which itself seemed like Xevious...

18781-DemonStar___Secret_Missions__.gif

screenshot96.jpg

xevious-01.jpg

Last edited:
DemonStar looks a bit like a Raiden X knock-off which itself seemed like Xevious...

Xevious was a fairly successful game in the USA, but back home in Japan there was a huge Xevious craze. Soon all the Japanese game companies were cranking out Xevious-like vertically-scrolling shooters. Raiden was one of the more popular, but there were *dozens*. (Remember my little "Turbo Force" avatar?) It took several years for the fad to run its course, sort of like the mania for fighting games in the US.

And now there are dozens of shareware computer games in the same genre.