Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed my A/C filters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share this experience To help others. First, mobile service told me they service the filters on site so that was the original plan but when I went to enter a service request on my phone, it forced me to select a service center. As it turns out, I wasn’t supposed to select heating and air-conditioning but instead select maintenance and then it would’ve offered mobile service. So that’s one thing. To replace both filters and clean out the evaporative something or other, it was $149. Yes, that seems expensive to me but I was too lazy to figure out how to do it myself so I guess I got what I deserved. I will say though, it definitely smells a lot better in my car now. One thing the tech told me was that they are going to be doing an update in the near future that will automatically run an internal fan to evaporate any remaining water so as to avoid mildew. He told me that I will never need to worry about replacing these filters again due to mildew.

I asked them if I could wait for the car and it just so happened there were a few guys available. The rep told me later that one guy worked on replacing one filter, another guy worked on the second filter and the 3rd guy cleaned out the evaporation chamber? I can’t remember what he actually called it but he said evaporative/evaporation or something like that. Start to finish was about an hour I believe. Oh and I think they washed the outside also.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the fan update already occur?
I'm pretty sure they've already claimed credit for this software fix. Twice. I've witnessed it working, and it does appear to be helping. Whether or not it completely fixes the problem... the jury's still out on that. I've been waiting on long term results before I replace my filters or have them done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the fan update already occur?
Yes it has (sometime in spring this year). When you park the car after having used the A/C, the fans will turn on after about 10-15 minutes to dry the evaporator.

It's now been about 4 months since I cleaned the evaporator and changed the filters, and the smell has not returned so far (knock on wood).

Is there a video or how-to guide for replacing the filters and cleaning the evaporator yourself? Mine smells too when we first get in the car, but I don't really want to pay the service center $150 to do it if it's something I can take care of relatively easily.

Is there a video or how-to guide for replacing the filters and cleaning the evaporator yourself? Mine smells too when we first get in the car, but I don't really want to pay the service center $150 to do it if it's something I can take care of relatively easily.
It's not that difficult, but prepare yourself for some gymnastics required to get to the filter box opening. Make sure you have either a short stubby torx driver or a mini-ratchet, otherwise the screw holding the cover is quite difficult to remove. Also be careful when re-attaching the trim piece under the glove box, since there is a cable that needs to be positioned right to avoid pinching it. It'll probably take you an hour or so the first time.

I watched one of the videos and if you do have the moldy Smell and have to spray the foam aver your evaporator box and fins, you may want to add up the cost of the foam and the filters and see how close to the $150 it is. I think most people should be able to do the job but I would worry that I got everything back in place perfectly including the clips.