Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charge on solar reporting error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The data for the car drops out, and then is reported as a 126 kw load, charge on solar was turned off and charge rate was set to 16 amps. Seems like the car stops reporting to TEG, car dropped out in bottom graph half way thru charging, then comes thru at end as huge number.

See graphs; car, house, and grid. Anyone else seeing this?

IMG_6638.png

IMG_6639.png

IMG_6640.png

Last edited:
Reactions: YRide
The data for the car drops out, and then is reported as a 126 kw load, charge on solar was turned off and charge rate was set to 16 amps. Seems like the car stops reporting to TEG, car dropped out in bottom graph half way thru charging, then comes thru at end as huge number.

See graphs; car, house, and grid. Anyone else seeing this?

View attachment 992599

View attachment 992600

View attachment 992601

I've had similar crazy spikes a handful of times (like 5 or so) since starting to use CoS. It seems also sometimes I click on the car, and no data is there, and then a few min later i click on it (have not touched car, removed cable or anything) and the "red" data is back. Maybe car goes to sleep and it needs to wake it back up for the data? The wall charger doesn't have a CT in it...so I guess it has to calculate from onboard?

I've had similar crazy spikes a handful of times (like 5 or so) since starting to use CoS. It seems also sometimes I click on the car, and no data is there, and then a few min later i click on it (have not touched car, removed cable or anything) and the "red" data is back. Maybe car goes to sleep and it needs to wake it back up for the data? The wall charger doesn't have a CT in it...so I guess it has to calculate from onboard?
I believe the car has a CT, for feedback on charger draw so as not to over draw from charger/circuit limitations.
But agree something goes to sleep. I have an access point in garage, so WiFi signal strength isn’t the problem.

Reactions: Docfxit
I also am seeing ridiculous spikes of chargeing rate, up to 174 kW once, screen shot below.

The spikes compress the graphs and make normal, actual loads impossible to see.

Here is another observation related to this issue. First, to try to stop the glitching, I turned off charge on solar and had Tesla PowerWall support remove the Wall connector from the app, and the WC no longer appears in graphic. However, the app Energy graphs and download data still show car charging, including the glitches. Here is the really strange thing: When I plugged the car into a dryer outlet, i.e. not via the Wall Connector, the Apps energy graph still showed the charging.

Obviously the car must be reporting it's charging, in spite of Charge on sSolar being off, and it's At This Location de-selected.

A side effect of these issues is that other features of the PW are no longer working correctly. If Grid Charging is enabled, PW grid charges when it there is plenty of solar. And Export Everything sometimes does not export down to the backup reserve.

I was perfectly happy when car charging was ignored by the PowerWall. But when they added the Charge on Solar feature, it broke EE and GC, features which used to save me substantial costs.

Does anyone know a way to stop the PW from monitoring car charging?

Attachments

• IMG_8788.jpg
    IMG_8788.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: YRide
Does anyone know a way to stop the PW from monitoring car charging?
  1. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app? Some folks have had luck turning the feature on this way, so it might help with turning it off too.
  2. Charge on Solar requires you to pair your phone with the Powerwall, so you could also try removing that pairing to turn the feature off (Settings/Phone Pairing).
  3. If neither of these options work, I'd contact Tesla support to remove the feature.
  4. If all else fails, you could create a new Tesla account and give it access to just your energy system. That account will not have access to your car so it would not see the charging data. However that also means you can't control the car using that account so it would require a separate device for monitoring energy.
You don't need a wall connector for Charge on Solar, so it's expected that other chargers will cause the same issue.

Last edited:
  1. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app? Some folks have had luck turning the feature on this way, so it might help with turning it off too.
  2. Charge on Solar requires you to pair your phone with the Powerwall, so you could also try removing that pairing to turn the feature off (Settings/Phone Pairing).
  3. If neither of these options work, I'd contact Tesla support to remove the feature.
  4. If all else fails, you could create a new Tesla account and give it access to just your energy system. That account will not have access to your car so it would not see the charging data. However that also means you can't control the car using that account so it would require a separate device for monitoring energy.
You don't need a wall connector for Charge on Solar, so it's expected that other chargers will cause the same issue.
Good suggestions, thanks. But so far, no luck with them.

#1 delete and reinstall did not help. The car charging is still showing up in the Energy graphs and downloads, spikes and all, even though the Wall Connector is not shown in the graphic, realtime display. The car charging current is shown as going to the house, but the downloads show those kW going to the car, and the house is adjusted accordingly. But no joy on getting the car charging out of the graphs and downloads.

#2 happened when I logged out and back in, so no joy with that either.

I plan to proceed to check 2 and 3. 4 would mean signing in and out of the app to switch between car PW. Switching back and forth within the app is awkward, signing in and out would be more so. Perhaps a third party app for one or the other would help that...

Looking back through my update installs and old energy data, the PW Energy card started showing the car charging as soon as I installed 2023.27.6 in Oct, which was the first update to FSD after CoS was added in 2023.26. This, along with the fact that the realtime PW display and the Energy cards show different values for house draw, suggests that the charging data is going from the car to Tesla's servers and then munged into the PW data there. So the App and PW may not be directly involved in the bug.

I don't really expect Support to know how it works, or how to get it to stop, but I'll give them a try.

Another good point! It does make me wonder about exactly how the car knows when it is connected to my house. GPS? Home location? WiFi to LAN to PW still does not confirm we are on the same utility meter. I unchecked CoS at this location, but maybe it still relies on that. Anyway, it is nice that a paired Wall Connector is not required, but I had hoped that having Support unlink mine would make PW stop logging the charging, but it didn't.

Good suggestions, thanks. But so far, no luck with them.

#1 delete and reinstall did not help. The car charging is still showing up in the Energy graphs and downloads, spikes and all, even though the Wall Connector is not shown in the graphic, realtime display. The car charging current is shown as going to the house, but the downloads show those kW going to the car, and the house is adjusted accordingly. But no joy on getting the car charging out of the graphs and downloads.

#2 happened when I logged out and back in, so no joy with that either.

I plan to proceed to check 2 and 3. 4 would mean signing in and out of the app to switch between car PW. Switching back and forth within the app is awkward, signing in and out would be more so. Perhaps a third party app for one or the other would help that...

Looking back through my update installs and old energy data, the PW Energy card started showing the car charging as soon as I installed 2023.27.6 in Oct, which was the first update to FSD after CoS was added in 2023.26. This, along with the fact that the realtime PW display and the Energy cards show different values for house draw, suggests that the charging data is going from the car to Tesla's servers and then munged into the PW data there. So the App and PW may not be directly involved in the bug.

I don't really expect Support to know how it works, or how to get it to stop, but I'll give them a try.

I have definitely had the 100-200kW instantaneous car spikes in my data for the last 3mo. I’d say 3-4 times per week. Typically happens between 1a-5a, but id say 80% of the time it’s a ~150kW spike between 1a-2a. One time it showed 500kW spike!

App is the latest 4.28.2-2157 - 4af549164e

All cars are 2023.44.30.8 06f534d46010

Powerwall is 23.36.3 (which is still giving me problems with one of the four Powerwalls. Tesla finally scheduled to replace it…in another month!)

I’m also getting a lot getting “wall connector offline” errors all the time.

IMG_0722.png

IMG_0723.jpeg

This, along with the fact that the realtime PW display and the Energy cards show different values for house draw, suggests that the charging data is going from the car to Tesla's servers and then munged into the PW data there. So the App and PW may not be directly involved in the bug.
I don't use CoS so I can't confirm this right now, but when I was looking into Tesla's data, it looked like the app "triggers" the vehicle data in the API responses by passing along the VIN numbers of your Tesla cars. For the realtime data at least, the app was doing the data munging, but I'm not sure about historical data. You could confirm this with a one-time test of approach (4): does an Energy-only Tesla account also exhibit this behavior?

Another good point! It does make me wonder about exactly how the car knows when it is connected to my house. GPS? Home location? WiFi to LAN to PW still does not confirm we are on the same utility meter. I unchecked CoS at this location, but maybe it still relies on that. Anyway, it is nice that a paired Wall Connector is not required, but I had hoped that having Support unlink mine would make PW stop logging the charging, but it didn't.
It's likely GPS, looks like the CoS setup flow even requires you to select a location on a map now.

I’m also getting a lot getting “wall connector offline” errors all the time.
Right, me too. I thought the trouble was coming from the Wall Connector, so I had Support unlink it. But the spikes and car charging still shows up, even when I the car into a 120v outlet, no wall connector involved.

For me the spikes often occur when the car stops charging. Someone suggested it may be a result of the PW and car reporting their values on different time intervals. So, for example, it the car reports every it's average power once each minute, and the PW does it every 5 minutes, lining these up and trying to sync them could lead to inaccuracies. If it sometimes reads lower than reality, we might not notice, but higher than is possible sort of stands out!

The realtime display of the PW, in the animated graphic of the house, shows very different numbers sometimes from the Energy card's graphs and downloads.

I've given up on CoS, and am trying to get the car charging out of the PW data altogether. Even with no CoS, Export Everything and Grid Charging appear to being messed up when the PW is aware of car charging. This is why I want car charging out of the PW data altogether.

It looks like Tesla has improved, but not fixed the spikes. And done so retroactively - spikes which appeared in graphs of days in the past no longer appear, at least not as big.

I was talking with PowerWall Support on another issue, and mentioned the spikes and went back to the 174 kW spike on 1/4, and it was gone!

Screen shot taken 1/13:

SS Jan 13.jpg

Screenshot taken today of the same 1/4 data. Notice that also the Imported total is also different:

ss Jn 19.jpg

Since I have not updated the app, this suggests the issue was in Telsa's server code.

Ain't software fun?

Anyway, re-check the graphs and data downloads of your spiky days.

I've been having trouble with how Export Everything and Grid Charging have been behaving lately, and suspect that the addition of car charging data to the PW system may be to blame. Perhaps these glitches were part of the problem...