Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger inside, charging outside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one seems to have posted the link to the Tesla product that allows you to hang the connector outside.

Model S/X/3 Cable Organizer

1022771-00-A_alt.jpg

I got mine the week before the car arrived and used a masonry bit to drill thru the wall. The car is MOSTLY outside as if I want to park it inside I have to swap cars and I prefer to drive the Model 3 than park it in the garage. I should notch the cement, but then I would have to do the same for my wife's J1772, so boards placed under the door on both sides protects our cords.

I have the HPWC at our cabin with the 25' cord so there I use a smaller piece of wood that I can remove when done charging. If I leave the door propped open even a bit I get critters crawling in to check out the warmth so the cord goes back in the garage afterwards. I am more tempted to leave the cabin's Jeep outside and charge the Tesla inside as the pine sap is not easy to clean off.

-Randy
Good call. I just ordered mine.

I've used the UMC plugged inside with the S85 outside for 5.75 years. No problems but I did cut a groove in the cement so that the cable wouldn't be crushed.
View attachment 351772 View attachment 351773

I am using the following setup which works really well.
- Tesla wall charger is mounted just inside my garage door so the cord is long enough to reach the back of my Tesla even if it's the second car parked in the driveway.
- Garadry 1-1/4" garage rubber threshold strip installed under the garage door where it comes down.
- Notch cut in the rubber threshold strip just big enough to accommodate the Wall Charger cord (1" diameter)
- The notch piece can be removed or put back in place to avoid a gap when the charger isn't running under the garage door.

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 8.42.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 8.43.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 8.43.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 8.43.20 PM.png

This avoids making a rut in the garage floor that could collect water, it avoids an opening for bugs/rodents, and it avoids crushing the charging cord when the garage door is closed.

I had originally put a NEMA adapter outside of my garage on the wall but the Tesla charging cord was too short to reach my car if wasn't the first car in the driveway, and I got sick of moving our two cars around in order to charge. The hardest part about this solution was finding a garage threshold that's actually thick enough to fit the cord through it.

Attachments

• IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 197
No one seems to have posted the link to the Tesla product that allows you to hang the connector outside.

Model S/X/3 Cable Organizer

1022771-00-A_alt.jpg

I got mine the week before the car arrived and used a masonry bit to drill thru the wall. The car is MOSTLY outside as if I want to park it inside I have to swap cars and I prefer to drive the Model 3 than park it in the garage. I should notch the cement, but then I would have to do the same for my wife's J1772, so boards placed under the door on both sides protects our cords.

I have the HPWC at our cabin with the 25' cord so there I use a smaller piece of wood that I can remove when done charging. If I leave the door propped open even a bit I get critters crawling in to check out the warmth so the cord goes back in the garage afterwards. I am more tempted to leave the cabin's Jeep outside and charge the Tesla inside as the pine sap is not easy to clean off.

-Randy

I bought one of these adapters from tesla, thinking I would need it for my electrician to mount my cable along with my wall connector. The electrician installed the wall connector with the spacer unit, so I can coil the cable around the connector itself and didnt need this connector.

In the spirit of Holiday giving, I am willing to give this adapter to someone who will actually USE it, for free. I have no way to verify that someone would actually use it, so I am asking for a bit of honesty here. If someone can use the tesla bracket randy specified (that I ordered from tesla) and will use it, feel free to PM me and I would be happy to send it to you.