Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging Cable Organizer vs Amazon alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ended up ordering both and gifting one to my brother.

I definitely prefer the Amazon "Topfit" cable organizer over the Tesla one. It seems to hold the charge connector more securely. The Tesla cable organizer allows the connector to wiggle around in the holster too much for my liking.

The Topfit organizer is also slightly larger, and it holds the connector at an angle closer to horizontal (maybe 60 degrees off of vertical), whereas the Tesla cable organizer holds the connector closer to vertical (maybe 15 degrees off vertical). (See photos below.) So if you're tight on space and don't want it sticking out from the wall an extra few inches, you may prefer the Tesla organizer. But mine is located between 2 garage doors and is up against an unfinished wall, so I prefer having it stick out further so there's more clearance between the cable and wall and the garage door rails. It also allows me to have more slack in the cable hanging down without it touching the ground.

Here are some photos comparing the two:

Topfit:
View attachment 344866
View attachment 344867

Tesla:
View attachment 344868
View attachment 344869

Side-by-side: (The wall mounting brackets are nearly identical. You could replace one organizer with the other without changing out the bracket. They each fit on the other's bracket.)
View attachment 344871

Maybe an old post now, but this is the answer the OP was looking for... and what he wanted to know. I’m not a fan of the organizers on Amazon, where it forces the handle to stick out and up so far, nearly perpendicular to the wall. Most garages don’t have much room between the car and the wall.

Sadly you can no longer get this organizer from Tesla. The new one is just a very small hanger, with no catch for the handle.

We purchased the Tesla organizer back in 2017 when we got our first Tesla. We also went with a corded NEMA 14-50 mobile charging unit as our charging solution—both because they had a minimal profile on the wall. We have a standard two-car garage and with cars parked inside and wanting to open car doors and walk past, figured the closer to the wall the better for these items so we didn’t keep hitting into it as we passed by trying to get around the car.

I’ve seen the Amazon seller’s similar unit and really disliked how in order to create something different enough (to avoid a lawsuit likely) they made the handle stick out so horizontal to the wall. We’d be hitting into that all the time with our shoulder/arm/body. Also think it looks odd protruding like that. Tesla’s is a much more elegant design solution. After spending what we did on our cars, partly because of the design, couldn't see cheaping out on the look of this plastic piece. But then that’s our garage set up.

I 3D printed one of these:

3 years and going strong. If it breaks, I’ll make another.