Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging Cable Organizer vs Amazon alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing.

The holster is the whole point for me, so if that doesn't work then it pretty much defeats the purpose. Good to know.

I have the Tesla organizer and mine stays in the holster fine. Not sure if the other person's experience is a defective unit or user error.

With that being said, there are tons of alternatives. Having the Tesla-made version, I don't see anything crazy special about it. Alternatives I saw on Amazon, I assume would work just as good.

So I ended up ordering both and gifting one to my brother.

I definitely prefer the Amazon "Topfit" cable organizer over the Tesla one. It seems to hold the charge connector more securely. The Tesla cable organizer allows the connector to wiggle around in the holster too much for my liking.

The Topfit organizer is also slightly larger, and it holds the connector at an angle closer to horizontal (maybe 60 degrees off of vertical), whereas the Tesla cable organizer holds the connector closer to vertical (maybe 15 degrees off vertical). (See photos below.) So if you're tight on space and don't want it sticking out from the wall an extra few inches, you may prefer the Tesla organizer. But mine is located between 2 garage doors and is up against an unfinished wall, so I prefer having it stick out further so there's more clearance between the cable and wall and the garage door rails. It also allows me to have more slack in the cable hanging down without it touching the ground.

Here are some photos comparing the two:

Topfit:
upload_2018-10-18_0-26-54.png

upload_2018-10-18_0-28-36.png

Tesla:
upload_2018-10-18_0-28-59.png

upload_2018-10-18_0-32-28.png

Side-by-side: (The wall mounting brackets are nearly identical. You could replace one organizer with the other without changing out the bracket. They each fit on the other's bracket.)
upload_2018-10-18_0-33-41.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SCW-Greg
I bought 2 of the Tesla ones for my X and 3. I figured that if Topfit and Tesla both seems to be about the same, I will just stay with Tesla made one for $10 ($5 x 2) cheaper. They actually came in mail within 3 days of ordering, but I am in California.

I ordered and installed the Tesla one in preparation for getting my car next week. My only complaint is that I'm surprised it doesn't have the Tesla logo on it. I guess I could get one of the decals from someone like AbstractOcean, but not sure I want to spend $12 on it. Anyone know of less expensive but decent quality ones?

Whats the ACTUAL lead time from Tesla to get the cable holder?

I ordered the Aero wheel cover kits and it took less than a week

When I ordered them last month, they shipped them out next day from Newark, California. Fedex took 2 days to get to me, but I am also in California. At the time of my order, the site said expect 4 weeks for delivery (same now).

This was the same with my Model 3 Center Cap Kits. The site said 8 weeks, but they shipped it out next day.

Reactions: 10splayer
When I ordered them last month, they shipped them out next day from Newark, California. Fedex took 2 days to get to me, but I am also in California. At the time of my order, the site said expect 4 weeks for delivery (same now).

This was the same with my Model 3 Center Cap Kits. The site said 8 weeks, but they shipped it out next day.

Yeah Im on the east coast. They fulfilled my order and was to me within a week via Fed ex

So I ended up ordering both and gifting one to my brother.

I definitely prefer the Amazon "Topfit" cable organizer over the Tesla one. It seems to hold the charge connector more securely. The Tesla cable organizer allows the connector to wiggle around in the holster too much for my liking.

The Topfit organizer is also slightly larger, and it holds the connector at an angle closer to horizontal (maybe 60 degrees off of vertical), whereas the Tesla cable organizer holds the connector closer to vertical (maybe 15 degrees off vertical). (See photos below.) So if you're tight on space and don't want it sticking out from the wall an extra few inches, you may prefer the Tesla organizer. But mine is located between 2 garage doors and is up against an unfinished wall, so I prefer having it stick out further so there's more clearance between the cable and wall and the garage door rails. It also allows me to have more slack in the cable hanging down without it touching the ground.

Here are some photos comparing the two:

Topfit:
View attachment 344866
View attachment 344867

Tesla:
View attachment 344868
View attachment 344869

Side-by-side: (The wall mounting brackets are nearly identical. You could replace one organizer with the other without changing out the bracket. They each fit on the other's bracket.)
View attachment 344871
Nice comparison. I bought the Topfit one because I didn't realize Tesla sold one too. I was originally pretty bummed about not getting the Tesla one but after I realized there's no branding of any sort I got over it. Glad to see the Topfit is comparable to the Tesla one.